Honda-SOHC
SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB500/550 => Topic started by: mickwinf on May 14, 2026, 02:43:30 PM
-
was working on Lazerus the 500 four last week, I had to re-paint the fuel tank due to some reaction under the laquer and had a friend who has the gear for 2-pack said he would do it for me. Unfortunately he seems to have lost interest so took it to a local paint shop. they quoted £500 for tank and side covers which I was a bit shocked by and could not do it for ages. so did it myself again with spraycans and turned out nice, so decided to treat it to new badges and cap. Stripes came from Pici of this forum, badges from nurse Julie and cap from David Silvers. Waiting on side panel badges to finish off. also fitted a new kickstart rubber again from Julie, quite amusing it has "kickstart" embossed into it. Futher to another post about squealing brake, i chamfered the pads and cleaned the paint off the edges, then silicone grease on moving parts and rear of pad. so far so good, no noise at all. And the mishap? taking it off the ramp I left the side stand down which caught on the ramp and I dropped it over. first thought was oh no! my tank, but it was unscathed. Unfortunately it fell on the rear mudguard against the bench and dented it although i have bent it back it still has a small dent. bugger.
-
Pic of tank
-
Nice job, and of course it has kickstart on it to remind old british bikers its not a gearchange!
-
Paintwork looks spot on
Nice job
-
Nice work bike looks great and nice job on the tank. Bloody shame about your rear mudguard!
-
Nice bit of work done there, looks good. Re. the kickstart rubber, I can remember some of my early Hondas had this very useful piece of information as standard. As for the slight mishap, well, I'm sure many of us have suffered from sidestand woes one way or another in our time. Your first fears are probably echoed by most of us with older machines regarding "Mind the tank, or, mind the exhaust system"!!! My recent lucky escape from a 'slight mishap' (brain fog) being that I use a couple of Sealey dollies to make swapping the two bikes round in the garage a lot easier. I had moved the 400 sideways across the garage, and then went behind the 250 and pushed it forward using the rear carrier. Hard concrete floor, hard castors on dolly, one of which caught a small pebble and stopped dead, meaning bike shot forward off the stand and fortunately fell against a tool cabinet with the handlebar end weight taking the shock. Must remember to keep the floor swept!!!
-
Well, I must confess to a minor mishap a couple of months ago I had the old scruffy 550 on the bike lift strapped on the front forks either side as there was no centre stand and side stand a couple of inches short of the bike falling over! I was working on rigging up some new wiring and had the bike running. What I didn’t notice was the ratchet strap at on side was in contact with the exhaust which very quickly melted through the strap! Thankfully no fin damage to the engine which was my only concern. Bike ended up almost upside down jammed between work bench and bike lift! 🥵 “Safety First” Failed to risk access again!🫢
-
I had to ask my neighbour to help me lift it up as can't do it on my own.
-
I did manage to lift mine back onto its wheels but it was a good lift. Not used with lifting them off the ground! 🫢
-
I had my 400 on the bike ramp during assembly, no exhaust or front forks, somehow it slipped forwards off the center stand. I stopped it falling sideways. I had to sumon help from two 18 year olds to lift the bike back onto the stand.
Only damage was to my ego.