Honda-SOHC

Other Stuff => Misc / Open => Topic started by: Orcade-Ian on May 15, 2026, 03:40:59 PM

Title: These boots (are made for wearing)
Post by: Orcade-Ian on May 15, 2026, 03:40:59 PM
I was looking at my Ashman steel toe-capped motorcycle boots the other day and felt that perhaps they should be replaced.  They have been fantastic boots for over 25 years but I couldn't seem to find any suitable replacements.  The left boot sole was quite worn - I always stop with left foot down, so that was to be expected.
Whilst idly trawling the web, I came across the 'Boot Repair Company' in Hunslet, Leeds and sent them an email with pics.  Immediate reply came - just parcel them up and send them, we'll re-sole them and re-stick that gear-change pad.  New Vibram soles, £79 plus post.  They quoted upto 4 weeks turn around - they took NINE days from posting in Orkney to receiving back home!

Seems a really good option, as these boots have been really comfortable - even for fairly lengthy walks.

[attach=1]

[attach=4]

Ian

Title: Re: These boots (are made for wearing)
Post by: Johnny4428 on May 15, 2026, 05:05:03 PM
That’s the business Ian! Next 25 years sorted! 😂
Used to be at least 3 different cobblers in Orkney tha5 I can remember. Suppose people just chuck things these days if they get a little wear.
Title: Re: These boots (are made for wearing)
Post by: Skoti on May 17, 2026, 01:21:55 PM
Nice job and not expensive, wish I'd thought of that before I chucked my faithful old 1970s Ashmans out.


Recently parted company with Altberg boots purchased back in 1995, excellent kit but way too expensive for the factory re-sole service. (also Vibram soled)

Got German made Daytona boots now, they seem genuinely waterproof so far...   

 

Title: Re: These boots (are made for wearing)
Post by: Orcade-Ian on May 17, 2026, 02:43:22 PM
Skoti
Was out yesterday for a 60 mile jaunt with the re-soled boots.  Obviously just as comfortable as they always were but strange as it seems, I can tell the difference in height, which can't be more than 15mm.  Yes, very pleased and as Johnny says, good for another 25 years (I'll be 102 then!)
Just noticed where you are - we have stayed a few times in Český Krumlov and also further north in Kralupy - lovely places, great food and very friendly folk.

Ian
Title: Re: These boots (are made for wearing)
Post by: Skoti on May 17, 2026, 04:13:48 PM
Skoti
Was out yesterday for a 60 mile jaunt with the re-soled boots.  Obviously just as comfortable as they always were but strange as it seems, I can tell the difference in height, which can't be more than 15mm.  Yes, very pleased and as Johnny says, good for another 25 years (I'll be 102 then!)
Just noticed where you are - we have stayed a few times in Český Krumlov and also further north in Kralupy - lovely places, great food and very friendly folk.

Ian

Ian,

glad your feeling uplifted with the boots, it's also handy they don't need running in like new ones do.


We're about 12 miles from Krumlov and often visit, it's a sort of miniature Prague in terms of tourist sights, glad you enjoyed it.
I was once dragged up to Kralupy to view the national horse stud and those massive white horses, although I much prefer the H.P. we discuss on this forum.

ATB

   
Title: Re: These boots (are made for wearing)
Post by: Orcade-Ian on May 17, 2026, 04:32:47 PM
"We're about 12 miles from Krumlov and often visit, it's a sort of miniature Prague in terms of tourist sights, glad you enjoyed it."

I agree about the miniature Prague bit - if any of our members are venturing out that way, the area is well worth a visit.
Our first couple of times was with the 1200 'Wing and later with the 15.  The first time was when we stayed with a lady and her Daughter in Chvatěruby and they thought we were German.  We speak enough German to cope, so we sat chatting with a Czech/German dictionary at hand and had a great time. Caught the local train (chickens on the line) to Kralupy and our first 'double decker'  train into Prague.  Truly memorable and got Christmas cards for years from them.

Happy days!

Ian
Title: Re: These boots (are made for wearing)
Post by: Orcade-Ian on May 18, 2026, 01:41:26 PM
Skoti,
Just laughing to myself about your Daytonas being waterproof! I had a pair of Meindl walking boots some years back and they accidentally got left outside on a walking holiday and it rained like hell during the night.  They were definitely waterproof as when they were full with water, none leaked out!

Ian
Title: Re: These boots (are made for wearing)
Post by: Athame57 on May 18, 2026, 06:13:16 PM
I got quoted about £80.oo by a cobbler I've used for about twenty years. I decided if it took that much it's time to get a new pair.  8) They are pull on types, something I was on the look out for, not like the ones I had before with a zip on the inside leg. Being a bit short I was prone to damaging my saddle with the zip handle when I threw my leg over the bike.   ::)  Am I becoming a rare breed for wearing the classic white sea boot socks by default? 8)
Title: Re: These boots (are made for wearing)
Post by: Orcade-Ian on May 18, 2026, 08:22:29 PM
 
Having been born in Hull, the fishing capital of the civilised World and of advancing years, white sea-boot socks and boots just like yours were all we ever wore - thanks for the memory - bike looks great too!

Ian
Title: Re: These boots (are made for wearing)
Post by: Athame57 on May 19, 2026, 03:01:03 PM
Thanks Ian, why not return to civilization yourself? Sea boot socks are available at £8.oo a pair on Seabay. Not that expensive, less than half the price of Fish & Chips in London! ;D
Title: Re: These boots (are made for wearing)
Post by: Orcade-Ian on May 19, 2026, 09:35:49 PM
After 20 years living in Orkney, there's no way I would want to return to what now passes as civilisation - no, I'll stay put until I get me wooden overcoat!  The Highlands of Scotland are on our doorstep - after a 90 min ferry ride of course.  We're having a short break with friends from 'Ull in Fort William just now.

Ian
Title: Re: These boots (are made for wearing)
Post by: Athame57 on May 20, 2026, 09:34:00 AM
After 20 years living in Orkney, there's no way I would want to return to what now passes as civilisation - no,

I meant back into sea boot socks, not come back to the great unwashed!  ;D