Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB350/400 => Topic started by: XS850 on May 23, 2026, 04:58:02 PM

Title: Light Ruby Red (again)?
Post by: XS850 on May 23, 2026, 04:58:02 PM
Hello all - trying to get the nearest colour match to original 75 cb400f light Ruby Red - various forums and answers here state Honda Milano Red R81, this I’ve got but comparing with the inside of a side panel the R81 is definitely a more “plum” colour. Somewhere else suggests Honda r-25, does anyone recognise that as a named colour at all please before I order another 500ml (full repaint not started - yet) or any greater knowledge of the actual colour?

Bruce
Title: Re: Light Ruby Red (again)?
Post by: Coppertop1234 on May 23, 2026, 05:07:32 PM
Son has just repainted his pics attached from rattle cans

I think its the Ruby red i will ask him for more info if its the colour you want
Title: Re: Light Ruby Red (again)?
Post by: Coppertop1234 on May 23, 2026, 05:20:49 PM
Paint from rs on line

Don't know if this helps.out or answers your question but end results look fine.
Title: Re: Light Ruby Red (again)?
Post by: JEZZAIRONBRIDGE on May 23, 2026, 08:21:26 PM
Went the Milano Red route.
Title: Re: Light Ruby Red (again)?
Post by: taysidedragon on May 23, 2026, 09:06:18 PM
I painted mine in Honda Milano Red too. 👍

Title: Re: Light Ruby Red (again)?
Post by: XS850 on May 23, 2026, 09:43:55 PM
Thanks for those last two photos - looks like my “mix”might not be right. I’ll compare it to a spray can I’ve got and try another supplier
Title: Re: Light Ruby Red (again)?
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on May 23, 2026, 10:09:30 PM
As I'm sure most here know, one of the issues with Red paint (& Yellow) is it fades quite badly over time.
In the absences of the later RAL number system it's pretty much in the hands of a specialist supplier to find a match close to the original.

A replacement side panel painted to match the original tank today, might look awful a couple of years down the line as the new paint fades at a different rate to the original tank.



Title: Re: Light Ruby Red (again)?
Post by: JEZZAIRONBRIDGE on May 24, 2026, 08:42:12 PM
Few more images found.
Hope they may help.
Milano Red
Title: Re: Light Ruby Red (again)?
Post by: XS850 on June 18, 2026, 04:16:24 PM
Ok, went the Milano Red route with the paint I had,  think it looks ok but thought the red should be a more red colour (if you know what I mean!) - photos attached. Bike now finished (apart from number plate & rigorous road test!!), my thanks to all who’ve helped over the last few years, I’ll mention Ted as he got me out of a hole with replacement (good condition) tank!
Bruce

Title: Re: Light Ruby Red (again)?
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on June 18, 2026, 09:23:20 PM
Wow you have done a good job on that tank, looks too good to be the one you had from me !

It originally came from  a member here "Pops400" iirc.
Title: Re: Light Ruby Red (again)?
Post by: XS850 on June 18, 2026, 10:37:42 PM
Thanks Ted, definitely your old one - once all the Blue was removed to bare metal, the rust treated, various bad dents remedied & filled, primed, 3 coats red then 3 coats clear it’s come up really well - internally it’s in great condition & miles better than my original one! Photos of process and where repairs were needed!
Title: Re: Light Ruby Red (again)?
Post by: taysidedragon on June 19, 2026, 12:05:03 AM
The bike looks great. 👌