Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB350/400 => Topic started by: rosco on May 24, 2026, 10:13:54 AM

Title: Crankcase oil leak
Post by: rosco on May 24, 2026, 10:13:54 AM
After finding an oil leak from around the front mount I removed the engine and the lower crankcase and sent it for repair to an old mate of mine at Badfoot Customs
Now returned I thought you may be interested in a few pictures showing the process of how he did it
 
Title: Re: Crankcase oil leak
Post by: rosco on May 24, 2026, 10:26:59 AM
Sorrywas having trouble downloading photos
Title: Re: Crankcase oil leak
Post by: rosco on May 24, 2026, 10:49:19 AM
Another photo showing cracks in oil gallery Which has also been repaired
Title: Re: Crankcase oil leak
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on May 24, 2026, 12:10:10 PM
Impressive workmanship, was the damage caused by an overlong engine mounting bolt by a PO?
Title: Re: Crankcase oil leak
Post by: Bryanj on May 24, 2026, 12:39:37 PM
Usually caused when case guards are removed and the longer bolts put back it
Title: Re: Crankcase oil leak
Post by: rosco on May 24, 2026, 09:47:11 PM
Both spot on Guards removed Which makes the bolt longer and punches the oil gallery This was done by the previous owner and during time after an engine rebuild the poor welding eventually gave up and allowed oil to weep through
He has made an absolute cracking job of the repair I could have had it done locally   But I trust my mate and know he will do it right
Title: Re: Crankcase oil leak
Post by: Laverda Dave on May 26, 2026, 09:36:51 AM
Very impressive repair. I had the same issue on mine. I took the crankcase to a guy in SE London called Specialist Welding Services.
Where is your guy located?
Title: Re: Crankcase oil leak
Post by: Johnny4428 on May 27, 2026, 07:05:23 AM
Quite amazed at that repair, not that guys “first rodeo”.
Title: Re: Crankcase oil leak
Post by: rosco on May 27, 2026, 10:03:05 AM
Hi Dave  Russell is in Byram near Knottingley  Yorkshire  near the junction of A1 & M62   I sent it by post. around £20 But I knew he would do it right first time so worth the postage  The guy is absolutely brilliant  Check out all his other work of Facebook Under Badfoot Customs