Honda-SOHC
SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB500/550 => Topic started by: Neilw on June 17, 2026, 05:07:58 PM
-
I'm trying to source some replacement clock cushions for my 1978 CB550 F2 UK. However, the correct part number - 37235323700 is just too big for my clocks.
A previous owner may have fitted smaller clocks, bracket and, baskets and cushions from another bike, as they all fit together perfectly. I don't want the expense of changing everything, so any idea which CB model has smaller clocks than the CB550, as that is my only guess, so i can get cushions to fit.
BTW, the mileage on the MOT's matches the clock's mileage, so if they were swapped, they were done a while ago.
-
CB400f. 87mm as in the image below.
[attachimg=1]
A lot of the 250, 350, 460 twins used the same casings.
Regards
Dave
-
CB400f. 87mm as in the image below.
(Attachment Link)
A lot of the 250, 350, 460 twins used the same casings.
Regards
Dave
Mine are 87mm too. Thank you.
-
I have stock of OEM clock cushions for the 400 and 500, also the 550F but you've already said the 550 cushions are too big for your clocks.
-
I have stock of OEM clock cushions for the 400 and 500, also the 550F but you've already said the 550 cushions are too big for your clocks.
Brilliant, i'll order some cb400 f ones.
-
I’d imagine that as the 550f has a 19” front wheel and the 400f has an 18” front wheel the speedo will not read true. Plus the F2 got blue faced clocks like the 550K3, the F1 got green faced clocks just for info. So the smaller clocks fitted would imo look out of place and reduce its value if you came to resell. Personally I’d find and fit some genuine F2 clocks, you can find them cheaper sometimes.
-
I’d imagine that as the 550f has a 19” front wheel and the 400f has an 18” front wheel the speedo will not read true. Plus the F2 got blue faced clocks like the 550K3, the F1 got green faced clocks just for info. So the smaller clocks fitted would imo look out of place and reduce its value if you came to resell. Personally I’d find and fit some genuine F2 clocks, you can find them cheaper sometimes.
Thats a good point, I hadn't thought of that.
The joys of the bike just keep giving :-)
-
I'm finding it a bit of a challenge to find the correct clocks on Ebay. There are lots of KPH clocks, but not so many MPH clocks with the correct faces.
Just a thought, if I got a KPH clock and then put a correct mph replacement face on it, that would work, wouldn't it?, as long as it was off one of the compatible bikes? Or am I missing something?
-
You can put a MPH face on a km/h speedo but the distace counters will still read in kms as the counters are gear driven from the cable drive spindle.
-
You can put a MPH face on a km/h speedo but the distace counters will still read in kms as the counters are gear driven from the cable drive spindle.
Good point, I knew there'd be something. Thank you.
-
I've now managed to purchase some period working clocks, but the chrome clock plates for the speedo and tacho are quite rusty and have holes, so need to be replaced.
I'm having problems sourcing replacements, i need either the 550 ones or ones from cb750 K7 onwards and F will also fit. I'm happy for original or reproduction. Anyone have any ideas, other than ebay? David Silvers has the tacho repro but not the Speedo.
Thanks
-
I am not sure if the cb 500 clocks are the same as the cb550 clocks but I have a working cb 500 rev counter in good condition including the chrome
It’s bigger than the cb 400 clocks so it might be of use to you, if your interested I can send you photos and dimensions just send me a personal message.
Regards Ken
-
550 is same size as 750 and bigger than 500 unless its a us spec K2
-
IIRC Neil the 550f1 base is different from the 550f2 base. Something to do with the way the trip meter was fitted, seem to recall the f1 came out of the bottom and the f2 came out of the side. There were sets available on eBay that were quite cheap, certainly cheaper than having a set rechromed for instance. I bought a set a few years ago and they seem to be decent. Have a look around, bound to be some more somewhere.
If the new clocks you have are green faced then they are f1, if blue faced they are f2/k3 clocks.
-
IIRC Neil the 550f1 base is different from the 550f2 base. Something to do with the way the trip meter was fitted, seem to recall the f1 came out of the bottom and the f2 came out of the side. There were sets available on eBay that were quite cheap, certainly cheaper than having a set rechromed for instance. I bought a set a few years ago and they seem to be decent. Have a look around, bound to be some more somewhere.
If the new clocks you have are green faced then they are f1, if blue faced they are f2/k3 clocks.
I managed to pick up the blue-faced ones, so chuffed with that. The chrome looked good until I took a wire brush to it; it was then I found the chrome was like paper!
I just want to avoid buying NOS from David Silvers, but might have to if i cant find cheaper and good conditioned ones.
-
Please see photos attached , I thought this was a cb 500 rev counter so if anyone knows what this is by the dimensions please let me know.
The Speedo is definitely a cb 400 so you can see the difference in size.
-
550, the speedo is same size as uk 500
-
Where can i get the rubber seal that goes around the Trip reset button on the Speedometer for the CB550 F2?
-
550, the speedo is same size as uk 500
Ok thanks for the clarification, so if anyone is interested I have a 500/550 rev counter for sale , cheers regards Ken
-
Sorry didnt say it right, sat in hospital wating for my wife who had her tonsils out today!
The Tacho is a 550 one, possibly a US 500K2 but i think colour is wrong for 500.
The 400 speedo is same size as UK 500K1
-
Ok thanks, hope your wife recovers quickly, isn’t it copious amounts of ice cream for tonsils!
-
Neil, try asking Peter who does most of the refurbs for members on here. He has loads of spares so I would think he has one somewhere.
Word of warning. The cb550f2 had 2 different types of clocks fitted. One made by Nippon Seiki and the other by Nippon Denso, they look almost identical but they are slightly different in sizes. Parts from one won’t fit the other for instance. So make sure you find another clock of the same make or they’ll look odd afterwards. I prefer Nippon Seiki myself, they just look better for some reason.
-
Neil, try asking Peter who does most of the refurbs for members on here. He has loads of spares so I would think he has one somewhere.
Word of warning. The cb550f2 had 2 different types of clocks fitted. One made by Nippon Seiki and the other by Nippon Denso, they look almost identical but they are slightly different in sizes. Parts from one won’t fit the other for instance. So make sure you find another clock of the same make or they’ll look odd afterwards. I prefer Nippon Seiki myself, they just look better for some reason.
I have the Nippon Seiki. What is Peter's username?
Thanks BTW
-
Kent400 I think
-
Yeah that’s right Ted. His name is Peter Horton. Nice bloke, excellent results. Done quite a few members clocks, haven’t heard any bad words about his work. Just reminded me I have a f2 tacho to get him to reseal after doing some mods to the inside. I installed a small digital volt meter inside one of mine.