Honda-SOHC
Other Stuff => Misc / Open => Topic started by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on July 01, 2026, 05:10:13 PM
-
I'm looking for some new brushes for bike painting and engine cleaning.
For over twenty years I bought mine from a local shop (I/C Discounts) that closed last year.
They would have brushes suitable for applying cleaning solvents including petrol, brake cleaner, water based degreasers. They sold a variety of small paint brushes that were cheap enough to bin after a few uses.
I don't have the time to find anything local so looking for tips - links to internet sellers etc.
-
My father was fastidious about cleaning paint brushes. I inherited half a dozen brushes that were probably horse hair and worn right down. Who wears out a paintbrush.
My father-in-law was a professional painter & decorator. He bought cheap brushes and threw them away after each job.
Now I buy fro The Range or B&Q and clean them a few times but then just buy new.
A bit of both 
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-
For the cleaning, not painting, I've just ordered some of these to find something similar to old workshop brushes I've used in engineering workshop years ago.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/227331304821?_ul=GB&rb_itemId=227331304821&rb_pgeo=GB&var=0&ff=11&mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0&campid=5339059258&toolid=10044&customid=CjwKCAjwmJjSBhB-EiwAkZgxi7vVyLE6kzkz9aTs46nqLjyYjXjngG2rawVKIF5YCv4OiPeXlujvNxoCKQoQAvD_BwE&gclid=CjwKCAjwmJjSBhB-EiwAkZgxi7vVyLE6kzkz9aTs46nqLjyYjXjngG2rawVKIF5YCv4OiPeXlujvNxoCKQoQAvD_BwE&wbraid=Cj8KCQjw9ZLSBhCxARIuAMqojDMwuZdIbp5314Qx8CzRgC42NxsIaEMeOXO503eCrzpHWqywgB7qeeGDaxoCux8&gbraid=0AAAAADA7Q_LukeDI7RxlsvrbYwamkx8kv&adtype=pla&loc_physical_ms=9217597&loc_interest_ms=&gad_source=1&gad_campaignid=20506529270&gbraid=0AAAAADA7Q_LukeDI7RxlsvrbYwamkx8kv
Recently used some paintbrushes for degreasing etc, plastic type bristle, they worked in a fashion, but they all get the bristle bending out like a chimney sweep brush after a while.
Hopefully these will be more effective.
-
Over the years I have stuck to the look after your tools mantra and despair watching younger members of the family throwing brushes rollers and trays in the bin instead of cleaning them.
It's like throwing money away instead of doing a 5 minute job.
Cheers
Dennis