Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB350/400 => Topic started by: Mikep328 on July 08, 2026, 10:14:00 PM

Title: new cables - impressive improvement...
Post by: Mikep328 on July 08, 2026, 10:14:00 PM
I mentioned a while back that the throttle on my 400F suddenly (after winter storage) would not fully return when released.  Also the clutch seemed much stiffer than I remembered.  I installed new cables two years ago so at first thought it might be something else. 

NOPE.

New cables sorted out the throttle and the clutch.  Kinda' surprised that cables would stiffen up that rapidly.  The previous cables were from a supplier I won't use again because 1/3 of the parts I purchased from them for my 400F back then did not fit even though they were stated as being for the 400F; the current cables are from DSS where I have purchased most of my parts and have not yet had an issue with them.

Nice to have smooth cables!!!
Title: Re: new cables - impressive improvement...
Post by: Athame57 on July 09, 2026, 02:25:13 AM
The previous cables were from a supplier I won't use again because 1/3 of the parts I purchased from them for my 400F back then did not fit even though they were stated as being for the 400F;

Especially on Ebay some items get listed for more models than they fit. Also other models often contaminate search results for the one you want! I got a centre stand sent to me for a different bike.  >:(
Title: Re: new cables - impressive improvement...
Post by: K2-K6 on July 09, 2026, 09:59:48 AM
Always good if you get something like this, basic but fundamental, sorted out.

The whole technical part of looking after machinery fascinating and nice to use something really well setup snd optimized. Some of the simple parts like this don't always get detailed attention.

I use silicone oil in any cable controls nowadays. Adding that little extra refinement and protecting against moisture ingress gives them a longer lasting status to enjoy too.

The throttle particularly plays such important part in riding on these carburettor equipped bikes as well. Nice feeling with very linear opening to help smooth riding, along with accurately blipping throttle for smooth downward gear changes.
Title: Re: new cables - impressive improvement...
Post by: TrickyMicky on July 09, 2026, 02:27:42 PM
I have to agree about throttle cables. I renewed mine over a year ago, (DSS),   as I thought the 48 year old originals might be a bit tired!!!  Took my time fitting and routing them, checked everything, beautiful smooth operation. BUT!!! As I have aged, I now suffer from that impressively strong return spring, I'm sure it could operate a man-trap. Has anyone had any success with a lighter spring?  I know some people will say it's a safety issue, but I think with a  push pull cable system, allied to a kill switch, and a clutch lever, it should not be too much of a problem. It's trying to find a replacement of lower tension but with the same dimensions and end fittings.  I need to look after my right wrist!! It's my drinking arm before anybody lowers the tone!  Stay safe . Mike.
Title: Re: new cables - impressive improvement...
Post by: Bryanj on July 09, 2026, 04:27:20 PM
Rather than a different spring it has been suggested to use a split ring on the end pivot effectively shortening the spring, only downside is its in such a bugger of a possition to do
Title: Re: new cables - impressive improvement...
Post by: Oddjob on July 09, 2026, 06:31:17 PM
It’s easy if you’ve got the bank apart at the same time Bryan. Just thread on onto the spring dowel, try it with and without the split ring and decide which feeling suits you best.
Title: Re: new cables - impressive improvement...
Post by: Bryanj on July 09, 2026, 07:16:05 PM
I agree its easy when apart. I use small cable tie on the spring to pull down onto the small bar, course that will be lots more difficult if you want to attach it to the ring
Title: Re: new cables - impressive improvement...
Post by: exvalvesetdabbler on July 09, 2026, 08:58:43 PM
Tried this, too weak.  Another hole for the spring  a bit higher up maybe.

[attach=1]
[attach=2]

Regards
Dave