Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB750 => Topic started by: Otis on July 21, 2026, 04:26:21 PM

Title: 1981 CB900FB2 Bol Dor
Post by: Otis on July 21, 2026, 04:26:21 PM
There is a a 1981 CB900 FB 2 Bol D'or for sale on ebay for £6995.00 and it looks mint but does seem a tad expensive.

It is a bike I think I would love to own having had a CB750FB from new in 1981 (Paid £1762.00) and drove it out the showroom. I am just putting my toe in the water at the moment but would appreciate any thoughts/advice/guidance as to whether this would be a wise purchase.

Thank you in anticipation of any replies.

Graham
Title: Re: 1981 CB900FB2 Bol Dor
Post by: Bryanj on July 21, 2026, 05:27:25 PM
Sounds a bit expensive to me and from a workshop point of view they are expensive on time, also need to be run very regularly as if stood the carbs get clogged
Title: Re: 1981 CB900FB2 Bol Dor
Post by: Rozabikes Tim on July 21, 2026, 09:56:30 PM
Ditto pricey...
Title: Re: 1981 CB900FB2 Bol Dor
Post by: Oddjob on July 21, 2026, 11:59:22 PM
One of my favourite bikes, I would like to find a decent cb900fc though, no fairing version, gold reverse comstars. However that one is way overpriced imo.
Title: Re: 1981 CB900FB2 Bol Dor
Post by: Johnny4428 on July 22, 2026, 06:38:35 AM
Coming up for sale today with H & H cb750 Bol dor. Not exactly what your looking for some interesting bikes, might just have to watch a bit of the auction.😜
Title: Re: 1981 CB900FB2 Bol Dor
Post by: andy120t on July 22, 2026, 06:53:36 AM
One thing I would say, having had a CB900 for a while, is that they are big, heavy bikes - and mine didn't have the fairing which gives additional weight and bulk. It was lovely once it was moving, but very heavy to move around. I sold mine because of that - just mentioning as we are all getting older, and might not find old bikes as light as we used to.
Title: Re: 1981 CB900FB2 Bol Dor
Post by: Laverda Dave on July 22, 2026, 08:57:52 AM
Didn't the CB900 have issues with the cam chain tensioner? I thought they have two cam chains, one from the crank to the inlet cam and another from the inlet to the exhaust cam?
A mate had one when they first came out, a silver and blue one. He really wanted the CBX (didn't we all!) but they were massively expensive. Really comfy seat from what I remember going on the back of it a few times.
Title: Re: 1981 CB900FB2 Bol Dor
Post by: Oddjob on July 22, 2026, 09:25:42 AM
They did have the 2 cam chains you describe Dave. However I can’t ever remember a problem with them and it being one of my favs I’d always select it if one appeared for a service in the morning. I’ve done hundreds of services on them but not done any engine work at all on one. Never saw one apart at all in fact, which considering the volume of bikes QPM sold is surprising and must reflect them being a decent engine.
The only problem I can think of was one with the spark advancers being interfered with by the generator’s electrical pulse and even that was rare and only on the FZ model. Took me some time to figure that misfire out.
I also suspect they had soft valve seats as it wasn’t uncommon to change all the shims at the first service. Either Honda got their sums wrong at the factory or there was some wear occurring during the first few hundred miles. They were fine after you changed them all though.
Title: Re: 1981 CB900FB2 Bol Dor
Post by: Bryanj on July 22, 2026, 10:32:49 AM
The first 750 twin cam had a mod to reduce oil pressure at sprocket seal as they blew the seal physicalu out of the cases and to replace was engine out, and i remember doing the shims which was a rear pain with the Honda tool and took forever
Title: Re: 1981 CB900FB2 Bol Dor
Post by: Rozabikes Tim on July 22, 2026, 12:55:57 PM
A bit futher off the strict Bol D'or topic. Just seen this on Ebay. 1100 - real mans version. 🙃🙃

https://ebay.io/m/rrrA2N
Title: Re: 1981 CB900FB2 Bol Dor
Post by: SteveD CB500K0 on July 22, 2026, 06:48:24 PM
Doesn’t the word “project” fill you with fear?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Title: 1981 CB900FB2 Bol Dor
Post by: SteveD CB500K0 on July 22, 2026, 06:54:56 PM
I had a 900FZ in about 2009.

It was gorgeous and what I really wanted when I was at Uni.

(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20260722/99faebf1b1d7ae648783546163a77dfa.jpg)

I lent it to Classic MCM for a road test and the loved it. But they broke the tail fairing when pushing it up the ramp into their van. Amateurs.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Title: Re: 1981 CB900FB2 Bol Dor
Post by: Otis on August 20, 2026, 12:18:16 PM
One thing I would say, having had a CB900 for a while, is that they are big, heavy bikes - and mine didn't have the fairing which gives additional weight and bulk. It was lovely once it was moving, but very heavy to move around. I sold mine because of that - just mentioning as we are all getting older, and might not find old bikes as light as we used to.

That is actually a very pertinent point Andy and one that perhaps a lot of us overlook. In my 20's I could easily lay my 750 over and pick it up again with no problem, now I can just about do that with my 350. When reversing my Ducati into the bike store my heart is constantly racing with fear that the slightest mis footing and she's going over.
Title: Re: 1981 CB900FB2 Bol Dor
Post by: Laverda Dave on August 20, 2026, 11:30:35 PM
I was travelling down to West Grinsted today to collect the finished paint set for the NC30. I stopped off at Rykas in Box Hill on the way. Sitting in the car park was a brand spankers Honda CB1000 in the 1980 CB900 colours. As far as I know these bikes are not due in the showrooms until September. I assume this bike was being road tested by a journalist.
I can say the new bike is absolutely fantastic even down to the very large diamond pattern of the seat just as the original CB900.
Only two things let it down in my eyes, the horrible looking TFT screen, it should have clocks and coolant hose from the radiator running along the bottom of the cylinder looks a bit afterthought to my eyes. Overall though a really nice looking bike, Honda should sell them by the bucket load as long as they've solved the oil burning issue  found on the 1000cc Hornet (same engine as the CB1000).
Title: Re: 1981 CB900FB2 Bol Dor
Post by: Otis on August 21, 2026, 12:12:31 PM
I was travelling down to West Grinsted today to collect the finished paint set for the NC30. I stopped off at Rykas in Box Hill on the way. Sitting in the car park was a brand spankers Honda CB1000 in the 1980 CB900 colours. As far as I know these bikes are not due in the showrooms until September. I assume this bike was being road tested by a journalist.
I can say the new bike is absolutely fantastic even down to the very large diamond pattern of the seat just as the original CB900.
Only two things let it down in my eyes, the horrible looking TFT screen, it should have clocks and coolant hose from the radiator running along the bottom of the cylinder looks a bit afterthought to my eyes. Overall though a really nice looking bike, Honda should sell them by the bucket load as long as they've solved the oil burning issue  found on the 1000cc Hornet (same engine as the CB1000).

I've just had a look at it on the website and have to say it doesn't quite do it for me. Before i looked after reading your post I was excited to think Honda had produced a repro like Kawasaki did with the Z900.

In my opinion I thought the Honda just looked very typically modern and unlikely to get a second glance at a bike meeting. A real shame in my view because a repro of the 60/70's/80's 750/900/1100 would be very very desirable.