Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB350/400 => Topic started by: Wrenchpuller on July 26, 2026, 03:38:47 PM

Title: Cam Tensioner Rod, Springs and Bolt
Post by: Wrenchpuller on July 26, 2026, 03:38:47 PM
Hi all,

It appears a previous owner has done a bit of a diy job on the camchain tensioner. The rod has been replaced with a cut bolt and there are no springs. Adjustment was done by a bolt and locknut to push the makeshift rod down manually. And the rod lock bolt doesnt appear to be correct either.

I have one of the new bronze bushed adjusters ready to go in, just wondering what the best course of action would be? I have a spare plug bolt and it looks like you can get the proper rod from DS, I've seen new lock bolts too. But the springs seem to be unobtainiable.

What do we think would be the best way forward? I have took some pictures also.

Thanks, Dylan
Title: Re: Cam Tensioner Rod, Springs and Bolt
Post by: Bryanj on July 26, 2026, 04:21:34 PM
Dave Silver does a pattern pushrod but its all steel, no rubber pad.
You can get an tensioner plunger lock bolt kit from Honda Classics if the thread in case is OK , springs have be nla for some time but you  can use a bolt and lock nut down the capped off hole.
I would helicoil the two holes for the horseshoe bolts
Title: Re: Cam Tensioner Rod, Springs and Bolt
Post by: Bryanj on July 26, 2026, 04:39:30 PM
This is the manual adjuster on ebay, TTR 400  is a member on here but in South Africa, may be worth a PM to him
Title: Re: Cam Tensioner Rod, Springs and Bolt
Post by: Wrenchpuller on July 26, 2026, 08:40:31 PM
Ok ill see if I can get in touch thanks for your advice
Title: Re: Cam Tensioner Rod, Springs and Bolt
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on July 26, 2026, 09:05:42 PM
It's an expensive upgrade, it looks great quality.
Title: Re: Cam Tensioner Rod, Springs and Bolt
Post by: Athame57 on July 26, 2026, 10:32:36 PM
The last thing I heard is that the two springs the push rod passes through can lose their strength over the decades but I can find nowhere that can replace them so far.
Title: Re: Cam Tensioner Rod, Springs and Bolt
Post by: Laverda Dave on July 26, 2026, 10:50:20 PM
The last I heard was TTR400 only sells his horseshoe to DSS simply because the cost of P&P is too expensive to make it viable to post individually.
Title: Re: Cam Tensioner Rod, Springs and Bolt
Post by: Bryanj on July 27, 2026, 02:00:13 AM
You can get the manual tensioner from 4 into 1 in the us or on ebay from them,
Title: Re: Cam Tensioner Rod, Springs and Bolt
Post by: Wrenchpuller on July 27, 2026, 02:17:57 AM
Yeah i have one of the TTR400 horseshoes on standby, might just end up getting a TTR400 adjuster bolt and a pattern push rod.

I wonder if we knew the specs of the original springs we could get some made, would need to know the specific force of each spring as it was new though, which might be a stretch lol
Title: Re: Cam Tensioner Rod, Springs and Bolt
Post by: Bryanj on July 27, 2026, 09:40:00 AM
I bought a box of assorted compression springs on fleabay for about £6, you only need something to keep a small amount of tension if you use the TTR400 adjuster.
If you go direct to 4into1 its cheaper to buy but postage is a killer, you need a friend in us to act as middle man!
Title: Re: Cam Tensioner Rod, Springs and Bolt
Post by: Wrenchpuller on July 30, 2026, 10:32:22 PM
Right ok, I have some thinking to do! Since the lock bolt hole appears to have been drilled and re tapped to a larger bolt, I might just leave that in place but not all the way in and use a TTR400 manual adjuster, as he says to back off the lock bolt anyway if you are using this adjuster. I will replace the rod with a proper one and see what I can do about a spring or two.
Title: Re: Cam Tensioner Rod, Springs and Bolt
Post by: Bryanj on July 30, 2026, 11:27:49 PM
There used to be a kit available where you drilled out the hole bigger and fitted an adaptor that used the original bolt OR look up "Timesert" which will do the same thing, or something like the link below with internal 6mm thread
Title: Re: Cam Tensioner Rod, Springs and Bolt
Post by: Bryanj on July 30, 2026, 11:50:37 PM
The original repair kit was made by a firm called noxandrattles but there no longer apears to be an internet presence
Title: Re: Cam Tensioner Rod, Springs and Bolt
Post by: Wrenchpuller on August 17, 2026, 11:14:38 AM
Thanks for the info!

I have a lathe and a pillar drill so I ended up making my own insert because there were a few 'quirks' from the job someone previously did on it.

Firstly, the hole they drilled was off centre and off axis by about 5 degrees.

Secondly, the thread they very poorly tapped is a 3/8 UNF thread.

What I ended up doing is getting some aluminium rod, threading the ouside to 3/8 UNF, then putting it in the pillar drill with the bed set to a 5 degree tilt and slightly off centre, then tapping the off axis hole to M6

I then threadlocked it into the hole and sanded it flush.

I have attatched pictures of the measurement then of the inset i made then one with the proper bolt in my insert.
Title: Re: Cam Tensioner Rod, Springs and Bolt
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on August 17, 2026, 12:03:51 PM
Nice bit of work.👍
Title: Re: Cam Tensioner Rod, Springs and Bolt
Post by: Bryanj on August 17, 2026, 02:30:05 PM
Very well done, perhaps you should take over making kits and sellingbthem!
Title: Re: Cam Tensioner Rod, Springs and Bolt
Post by: Laverda Dave on August 17, 2026, 02:50:47 PM
Well done, another engine saved :)
Title: Re: Cam Tensioner Rod, Springs and Bolt
Post by: Rozabikes Tim on August 17, 2026, 04:00:26 PM
Good work.

Should  be known as a "proper debodging"!!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Title: Re: Cam Tensioner Rod, Springs and Bolt
Post by: Wrenchpuller on August 18, 2026, 07:42:00 PM
Thanks all!

The unf threads were pretty poor so the insert doesnt go all the way down the shaft, i added a few mils of recess after the photo was took so the bolt would sit further in like original, but didnt want to go too far as i would loose too much thread.
This unfortunately means the bolt doesnt actually reach the push rod, but that's ok as I managed to get one of the TTR400 manual adjuster bolts, so this will remain backed off and locked. Suppose I could make a longer version of hondas bolt if it came to it!
Title: Re: Cam Tensioner Rod, Springs and Bolt
Post by: Wrenchpuller on August 20, 2026, 05:41:38 PM
Never mind!
I must've had my eyes closed when I checked it the first time!

It does reach the push rod and locks it too like it should lol

Thanks all