Honda-SOHC

Other Stuff => Misc / Open => Topic started by: Athame57 on August 09, 2026, 02:33:31 PM

Title: Ye olde Waddington's classic motorcycle gloves
Post by: Athame57 on August 09, 2026, 02:33:31 PM
Classic bikes deserve classic gear to go with them.  ;) I called in to The Junk Shop on Greenwich South St in Londinium, it's full of wonderful antique junk, you can even have tea & cake in the back garden (tiny) if you are seriously 'big' forget it the alleyways through all the stuff in there will be too challenging! I called to see if there were any real vintage goggles to be found, there wasn't but there was a pair 195/60s Waddingtons Rebel motorcycle gloves, complete with that classic flare to cope with the cuffs of a leather jacket. I paid £25.oo for them, which is probably a bargain, a much worse pair are on Fleabay for £47.oo and a better pair elsewhere for £63.oo.
They are stiff as rigor mortis but no cracks or splits, so Mink oil has been ordered too to soften the leather and saddle soap to finish I already have, I use it on my other things.
What I ve got doubts about is how to clean the inside, the wooly lining is hard and seems to be glued (?) direct to the leather, see image 4.
Anyone dealt with this one before? Ideas?
Title: Re: Ye olde Waddington's classic motorcycle gloves
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on August 09, 2026, 03:19:16 PM
You can buy car carpet cleaner in an aerosol.
You spray it on, let it soak in, then wipe with a clean dry mutton cloth.
It will not remove all the yellowing but it will remove grease, dirt etc.
Title: Re: Ye olde Waddington's classic motorcycle gloves
Post by: Athame57 on August 09, 2026, 03:25:56 PM
Thanks for this Ted, I think my GF will probably have some.  ;)
Title: Re: Ye olde Waddington's classic motorcycle gloves
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on August 09, 2026, 03:47:55 PM
House carpet cleaner like Whoosh would do the same I suspect.
Title: Re: Ye olde Waddington's classic motorcycle gloves
Post by: Oddjob on August 09, 2026, 04:15:12 PM
I had some of those, my first job at 16 was on a building site. Being a bit of a cheeky little shot they decided to get their own back and filled the gloves with LM grease. I had to throw them away and ride home 7 miles in the dead of winter.
Title: Re: Ye olde Waddington's classic motorcycle gloves
Post by: Bryanj on August 09, 2026, 06:04:09 PM
Best cleaner for carpets if you have pets and oily boots is called Carprt Power i get it from Amazon
Title: Re: Ye olde Waddington's classic motorcycle gloves
Post by: Athame57 on August 09, 2026, 06:50:22 PM
Best cleaner for carpets if you have pets and oily boots is called Carprt Power i get it from Amazon

I have the pet, and very expensive carpets. I'll check that one out Bryn!
Title: Re: Ye olde Waddington's classic motorcycle gloves
Post by: Bryanj on August 09, 2026, 08:16:44 PM
If the carpets are pricey for christs sake do a test piece somewhere hidden!!
In our house i find that i clean the bad bit, then have to get the Karcher Puzzi out cos it makes the rest look bad!!!