Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB500/550 => Topic started by: Neilw on August 13, 2026, 05:03:14 PM

Title: CB550 Rear Wheel Dampers - How do i get at them?
Post by: Neilw on August 13, 2026, 05:03:14 PM
While I'm waiting for my Head to arrive to rebuild - different thread, my replacement back wheel has arrived with the correct hub, which will solve my spacer issue (again, different thread).

The sprocket rocks and rattles a bit on the hub, so i suspect the dampers may need changing, but how do i gain access to them? The Haynes manual says no need to remove the sprocket as it should all just knock off! Well, I tried with a bit of wood, and nothing happened, except the wood splintering.

I have removed the sprocket to see if that's any help, but while I can move the central bit, there is no way it's coming out of the hub as it, surely something else needs to happen.

Given my past history of buggerring things up, thought I'd ask first before wading it! I can't afford any more costly mistakes!

Cheers
Neil
Title: Re: CB550 Rear Wheel Dampers - How do i get at them?
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on August 13, 2026, 06:12:36 PM
Have you undone the retaining ring, it's a left hand thread?
The downloadable manual here will show you how to remove it.

You will need the tool or make one similar, use the search facility here it's come up loads of times.

Page 51of my 500 rebuild link below has the page from the parts book.
Title: Re: CB550 Rear Wheel Dampers - How do i get at them?
Post by: Neilw on August 13, 2026, 07:41:13 PM
Have you undone the retaining ring, it's a left hand thread?
The downloadable manual here will show you how to remove it.

You will need the tool or make one similar, use the search facility here it's come up loads of times.

Page 51of my 500 rebuild link below has the page from the parts book.

Is there a knack for making your own tool? Can it be made with normal diy tools? The actual tool is expensive for one use, so I would rather find a work around - I can't find anyone 2nd hand ones.
Title: Re: CB550 Rear Wheel Dampers - How do i get at them?
Post by: Bryanj on August 13, 2026, 08:38:05 PM
Should have asked you could have borrowed mine!.
Make one from nice thick plate with a handle welded on then cap screws to fit the holes in retainer fitted into carefully drilled holes
Title: Re: CB550 Rear Wheel Dampers - How do i get at them?
Post by: Neilw on August 13, 2026, 10:35:15 PM
Should have asked you could have borrowed mine!.
Make one from nice thick plate with a handle welded on then cap screws to fit the holes in retainer fitted into carefully drilled holes

I know!!

Ah, i don't have the tools or expertise to make one. Looks like i'll be buying one.
Title: Re: CB550 Rear Wheel Dampers - How do i get at them?
Post by: mickwinf on August 14, 2026, 07:44:47 AM
They are usually very tight. I made a tool which did work, I had a length of square section steel and drilled 2 holes through at the exact distance of 2 of the holes on the retainer. Then found 2 bolts, 6 mm if I recall, passed through the bar then a nut to keep it solid but leaving enough thread to fit in the holes. Not as good as a 4 hole tool but did work for me.
Title: Re: CB550 Rear Wheel Dampers - How do i get at them?
Post by: Neilw on August 14, 2026, 08:45:55 AM
They are usually very tight. I made a tool which did work, I had a length of square section steel and drilled 2 holes through at the exact distance of 2 of the holes on the retainer. Then found 2 bolts, 6 mm if I recall, passed through the bar then a nut to keep it solid but leaving enough thread to fit in the holes. Not as good as a 4 hole tool but did work for me.

Thank you for the suggestion. I was thinking something similar, but I don't have the raw materials.
Title: Re: CB550 Rear Wheel Dampers - How do i get at them?
Post by: Orcade-Ian on August 14, 2026, 09:06:27 AM
I understand your problem Neil and the material Bryan suggested is easily obtainable.  Do you have a 'Men's Shed' in your area?  (Try searching ukmsa - UK men's shed association). They might have a suitable piece of scrap and if you took along the wheel they could accurately measure hole diameter and spacing to cobble something together.  These sheds are all over the Country (in fact, the World) where folk get together for a yarn and a cuppa and many have good facilities and expertise.  Don't forget to tell them wether it's left or right hand thread!

Just a thought,
Ian
Title: Re: CB550 Rear Wheel Dampers - How do i get at them?
Post by: Neilw on August 14, 2026, 02:37:34 PM
I understand your problem Neil and the material Bryan suggested is easily obtainable.  Do you have a 'Men's Shed' in your area?  (Try searching ukmsa - UK men's shed association). They might have a suitable piece of scrap and if you took along the wheel they could accurately measure hole diameter and spacing to cobble something together.  These sheds are all over the Country (in fact, the World) where folk get together for a yarn and a cuppa and many have good facilities and expertise.  Don't forget to tell them wether it's left or right hand thread!

Just a thought,
Ian

Didn't know about the Sheds, what a great concept. My local ones all seem to be woodworking sheds. I've found a bit of Ali Tubing in my garage, which I can try drilling some holes in to fit a couple of bolts, if I have the right size. It's long enough to provide good leverage, so may work - worth a try anyway.
Title: Re: CB550 Rear Wheel Dampers - How do i get at them?
Post by: K2-K6 on August 14, 2026, 03:23:33 PM
I tried to find where I saw this, but someone was using two of these

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224930225344?var=0&shprz=EBAY_GB_11700&_ul=GB&_trkparms=ispr%3D1&amdata=enc%3A1MBrqhYt6S-eJLkyEu0wa_Q8&mkevt=1&mkcid=1&toolid=20006&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0&campid=5338986375&loc_interest_ms=&loc_physical_ms=9217597&adtype=pla&customid=Cj0KCQjw-frTBhCvARIsADv4XY600kYjSAe5hOIjKAm7vQ26UhsI-j6_y8761gNDwVTkoQ-2OrmSk50aAjgwEALw_wcB|null|null&gad_source=1&gad_campaignid=24075413429&gbraid=0AAAAADcddnYgrlfqm00h_WUpOTLPDB05S&gclid=Cj0KCQjw-frTBhCvARIsADv4XY600kYjSAe5hOIjKAm7vQ26UhsI-j6_y8761gNDwVTkoQ-2OrmSk50aAjgwEALw_wcB

With the handles held together by a bolt to just use one pin on each in driving a flange fixing like this bike one. They were turnng the opposite two of four holes to engage the tool.
Title: Re: CB550 Rear Wheel Dampers - How do i get at them?
Post by: Bryanj on August 14, 2026, 06:59:43 PM
Do you have a vice?

Also look carefully down the holes in the screwed piece you should find some centre punch "stakings" which you need to drill down or you willdestroy the threads.
Title: Re: CB550 Rear Wheel Dampers - How do i get at them?
Post by: Neilw on September 02, 2026, 06:03:56 PM
I showed this in another thread, but this is the tool I eventually purchased, which did the job, is adjustable, and way cheaper than the £48 Honda Classics was asking for their tool.
Title: Re: CB550 Rear Wheel Dampers - How do i get at them?
Post by: Bryanj on September 02, 2026, 06:12:40 PM
Glad you got it out mate