Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB500/550 => Topic started by: bbrian66 on August 16, 2026, 03:54:40 PM

Title: 550 tank flap clip
Post by: bbrian66 on August 16, 2026, 03:54:40 PM
Hi Guys

Does anyone know where I can find the wire spring clip that holds the tank filler flap down? I can't find one anywhere so don't know if I'm looking in the wrong place,  or wether they're just not available.

If not available,  does anyone have suggestions as to what i can do?

Thanks!
Title: Re: 550 tank flap clip
Post by: Oddjob on August 16, 2026, 03:57:46 PM
Make one. You just need the right type of wire.
Title: Re: 550 tank flap clip
Post by: bbrian66 on August 16, 2026, 04:20:07 PM
Yes that did seem to be an option. Do you happen to know the dia of the wire i'd need?
Title: Re: 550 tank flap clip
Post by: Oddjob on August 16, 2026, 04:38:20 PM
I’d say 1 or 1.5mm should do it. About the thickness of a spark plug helicoil if you have one. Might be able to unwind one of those, shape it and then anneal it to keep its shape.
Title: Re: 550 tank flap clip
Post by: DomP on August 17, 2026, 04:54:08 PM
I could measure the thickness of one of mine for you but I'd guess 1-1.2mm
Title: Re: 550 tank flap clip
Post by: bbrian66 on August 20, 2026, 03:36:26 PM
Thanks DomP - I've bought a couple of short lengths of 1.0mm and 1.5mm from fleabay - I'll see what I make of these when they turn up.