Honda-SOHC
SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB350/400 => Topic started by: Athame57 on August 16, 2026, 07:10:33 PM
-
Where to start? A friend pointed out to me that the silencer on my bike hung suspiciously low. Looking at images on the web I can see it now. The silencer I have was recently identified on this forum as a non standard Thruxton that should be no issue, but I'm beginning to wonder if it was ever meant for a CB400F at all. There is no gasket between the silencer and collector box (is that normal for a Thruxton?) Fitting this system when I take it off is the devils own work, and especially since I got the after market header pipes and collector box, I blamed them but maybe it is really the silencer. Could this be why previous owner down he line never fitted exhaust gaskets in the ports, to make fitting easier? I'm beginning to wonder. Trying to raise it's position has another issue, the bolt that secures it to the rear sub-frame would get in the way of the centre stand, see photo 2 below. The bold slides into the housing on the silencer head first. I see on DSS that the housing for the dual fastenings has captive nuts built in lacking on my single one.
By now I have on my bucket list a DSS pattern silencer, but that isn't sold with the fittings I would need, and I can't find those on the CMSL diagrams either, maybe I just failed to identify them? Whatever, until I know what they look like and have a part number to help me hunt them down there doesn't seem to be a way forward, can anyone help with this?
-
Hi I just fitted ds repo to my 400 complete system included all brackets
Yes it does look like yours is very low
I can take some pics if it will help out
My muffler has the fittings for a stepped bracket to the rear set with 2 bolts.
-
Does look to hang a little lower than standard.
The OEM exhaust also has a rubber stopper to catch the main stand.
Regards
Dave
-
Your non-standard exhaust hanger is too long. A slightly shorter one would lift the silencer to the right position. Also, the standard exhaust bracket has a rubber stop for the centre stand to rest against. Your centre stand is sitting much higher than it would be normally.
-
[attachimg=1]
Phone flat on the floor using the selfie camera. I knew there was a reason for someone inventing the selfie camera
-
Bracket from cmsl
-
Phone flat on the floor using the selfie camera. I knew there was a reason for someone inventing the selfie camera
Your back breaking efforts have shown me what the missing fitting bracket probably looks like. ;) Alas, still can't find it on the CMSL diagram so as to retrieve apart number. :(
-
Is this what you need from cmsl site
18353377610P
-
Is this it
[attachimg=1]
-
Coppertop & Dave, that's it. I've found the part on 400Four spares so I'll see what Steve quotes before I fork out over £38.oo on DSS. Next problem the right nuts and bolts to fit it.
-
Usually M8 nuts and bolts George.
-
Honda 95011-61000 Rubber A for the rubber stopper that attaches to the exhaust itself.
Regards
Dave
-
Usually M8 nuts and bolts George.
Thanks for this, all I need now is the lengths. ;) I'm glad this job is marked down for the mid term, gotta save some dosh to do it! ;D
-
That's why they might be rare, they get tossed with the old muffler when folk fit something different.
-
That's why they might be rare, they get tossed with the old muffler when folk fit something different.
Someone should muffle these old tossers! ;D
-
Save that thought for those that pretend to run our country :)
-
Hi Athames57
If your interested I have one of these brackets spare, I was going to put it on EBay but have not got around to it yet.
Please see photos attached regards Ken
-
Hi Ken
PM'd you!
-
If you fit the OE bracket George are you going to fit the OE packer/seal in the silencer to collector box? I can see the Thuruxton silencer you currently have fitted is straight, fitting the OE bracket may angle it slightly upwards opening up the joint between the silencer and the collector box and this will require a packer gasket otherwise the joint could end up blowing.
You can get the packer on eBay a lot cheaper than Honda OEM.
-
If you fit the OE bracket George are you going to fit the OE packer/seal in the silencer to collector box?
Yes Dave. I have actually got that item right here, erroneously bought when I got the new downtubes and collector box with it's fittings. The clamp I have also as the Thruxton one is smaller.