Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB350/400 => Topic started by: stempy on August 21, 2026, 06:06:54 PM

Title: Mocheck Harrier
Post by: stempy on August 21, 2026, 06:06:54 PM
Anyone recognise this 400/4 looks like it could be an original Mocheck Harrier ?

[attachimg=2]

Title: Re: Mocheck Harrier
Post by: exvalvesetdabbler on August 21, 2026, 07:04:19 PM
I recognise the seat, there's one on my loft I anyone gets the urge.

Regards
Dave
Title: Re: Mocheck Harrier
Post by: Bryanj on August 21, 2026, 09:36:42 PM
My aged grey cells say possibly
Title: Re: Mocheck Harrier
Post by: Laverda Dave on August 21, 2026, 10:37:15 PM
It should be white but I guess it's been painted. The pipe looks like a Yoshi and the points cover and wheels look the part. Didn't they have CR carbs though?
Is it yours or have you seen it for sale?
Title: Re: Mocheck Harrier
Post by: badger_eng on August 21, 2026, 10:44:06 PM
I was thinking the silencer may be a Piper???

It looks very similar to the one I fitted to my CB750 in the early eighties. Albeit still chrome rather than painted black.

[attachimg=1]
Title: Re: Mocheck Harrier
Post by: Laverda Dave on August 21, 2026, 11:13:20 PM
Some info I have just dug up from a reliable source on the internet states the following specs of a genuine Harrier as follows;
The Harrier came about in 1977.
Engine was based on a 458cc Yoshimura conversion with a racing camshaft fitted along with a lightened crankshaft and improved porting for the head.
Electronic ignition from Lumenition.
Carbs were standard but rejetted with 85 mains to suit the larger capacity of the motor, I was incorrect about the CR's, I saw those on a replica Harrier and was the subject of a previous forum thread some years ago. The bike later appeared for sale at Motorcycles Unlimited.
Exhaust was a black Piper system with reduced back pressure. No power figures were quoted but the original 37bhp was likely to have been upped to at least 55bhp.
The chassis featured S&W rear shocks with CMA cast aluminium wheels painted white and fitted with Avon Roadrunner tyres.
The bike was finished in white.

From the photo I don't think that bike is a real Harrier looking at the rear shocks and I don't know if the Harrier had a Dresda swing arm either. It would, I guess be very difficult to ascertain if was a real Harrier without looking inside the motor!
The Harrier was tested at 113mph, just think if it had been painted Parkeet Yellow, I'm sure 125mph+ with a standing quarter of 6 seconds could have easily been achieved (ahem, possibly....... 😉).
I don't know if there's a Harrier register, maybe something on FB perhaps?
Ian Tay who was one of the two original partners of Mocheck recently passed. Classic Bike did a feature on him about a year ago, it's worth a read.
A real Mocheck Harrier is something very special.
Title: Re: Mocheck Harrier
Post by: taysidedragon on August 22, 2026, 12:37:46 AM
The Mocheck Harrier had a cut out modification to the fuel tank.

Title: Re: Mocheck Harrier
Post by: Laverda Dave on August 22, 2026, 09:13:07 AM
That was the replica Harrier that was discussed previously on the forum Gareth. The guy who built did an excellent job. He had fitted the CR carbs. It was being sold on eBay, it had a smoking engine as a result of worn valve guides. It mended up for sale at Motorcycles Unlimited minus the CR's and exhaust.
Title: Re: Mocheck Harrier
Post by: Rozabikes Tim on August 22, 2026, 09:44:27 AM
The Mocheck Harrier had a cut out modification to the fuel tank.
Was the tank cut out just a styling thing? Should have left it alone if so for me.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Title: Re: Mocheck Harrier
Post by: taysidedragon on August 22, 2026, 11:54:06 AM
That was the replica Harrier that was discussed previously on the forum Gareth. The guy who built did an excellent job. He had fitted the CR carbs. It was being sold on eBay, it had a smoking engine as a result of worn valve guides. It mended up for sale at Motorcycles Unlimited minus the CR's and exhaust.

I've only seen photos with the tank mod. Looks better without it.
Title: Re: Mocheck Harrier
Post by: Laverda Dave on August 22, 2026, 12:04:35 PM
I'd have one with it without the tank mod. I remember going to Mocheck back when I first started riding to look at a Harrier.
Someone on here must have one tucked away in a shed they don't want anymore.......
Title: Re: Mocheck Harrier
Post by: Laverda Dave on August 22, 2026, 12:05:06 PM
I'd have one with or without the tank mod. I remember going to Mocheck back when I first started riding to look at a Harrier.
Someone on here must have one tucked away in a shed they don't want anymore.......
Title: Re: Mocheck Harrier
Post by: Rozabikes Tim on August 22, 2026, 02:42:54 PM
I'd have one with or without the tank mod. I remember going to Mocheck back when I first started riding to look at a Harrier.
Someone on here must have one tucked away in a shed they don't want anymore.......
Come on Dave, you are the 400 build man. How about doing one?  You know you want to.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Title: Re: Mocheck Harrier
Post by: stempy on August 22, 2026, 02:44:21 PM
I am the new owner as rebuilt in white it would be very close to a genuine Harrier or maybe was a Harrier but the Owner had their own taste?
Bike Details

London registered just waiting for the registrars office to reopen as it’s closer for two weeks to confirm where Bike was actually register registered in London

The bike was registed to its two previous owners in the London area.

Honda 400 four with a Yoshimura 458cc big bore kit, registered as 458cc in the V5c ??
1979 Bike that has been off the road since 1982

CMA wheels.
Dredsa swinging arm.
Tomaselli clip ons, adjustable.
Seeley fairing.
Rear sets.
Giuliari seat.
Drilled front disc.
Cibie headlight.
Marzocchi rear shock absorbers.
Yoshimura exhuast system.
Tomaselli headlight brackets.
Steering damper.
It has all the parts offered by Mocheck as a Harrier plus extra if you look at the old Mocheck shopping list ?

(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20260822/a47d173acf0c196daa80dc13ee2c8037.jpg)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Title: Re: Mocheck Harrier
Post by: Laverda Dave on August 22, 2026, 03:31:59 PM
Well that's a good buy (although I have no idea how much you paid for it). It does sound like a Harrier and if the previous registration was around the Clapham area I think you may well have the genuine article 👍.
Are you going to paint it white, I can recommend an excellent painter, Tony at CycleSprays in Sussex.
Title: Re: Mocheck Harrier
Post by: stempy on August 22, 2026, 03:41:05 PM
Dave , yes strip and rebiuld to original Harrier colours , thanks for the information on th painter but a afew miles from Grimsby , lucky for me we have a local compay called Spraybay that do most of the BSB, plus other racing teams  :) The last owner lived in chatsworth Road so around 8 miles from Mocheck -  ( by the way i also have a few Moto Morinis )

 
Title: Re: Mocheck Harrier
Post by: Laverda Dave on August 22, 2026, 10:42:00 PM
I'd have one with or without the tank mod. I remember going to Mocheck back when I first started riding to look at a Harrier.
Someone on here must have one tucked away in a shed they don't want anymore.......
Come on Dave, you are the 400 build man. How about doing one?  You know you want to.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

There must be one or two stashed away in a French barn Tim. I'll pay for your petrol if you can bring me one back during your next visit. If it's a yellow one I'll pay double 😉
Title: Re: Mocheck Harrier
Post by: ka-ja on August 23, 2026, 10:09:21 AM
Seat definately not Mocheck, highly hated 1980's addition, i remember buying mine in 1985-a domino 2-4 seat, exhaust could an old 1980's laser.
Title: Re: Mocheck Harrier
Post by: Rozabikes Tim on August 24, 2026, 10:35:41 AM
Looking at info on the Harrier and found this. Not loads on it specifically,  but interesting article. A few images of what the originals looked like.

https://www.classicbikehub.uk/blog/article/mocheck_memories_part2/

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Title: Re: Mocheck Harrier
Post by: Johnny4428 on August 24, 2026, 11:18:14 AM
Interesting article and lovely pics of the bikes being forced into the tarmac on the corners!😜
Title: Re: Mocheck Harrier
Post by: taysidedragon on August 24, 2026, 11:46:25 AM
I found this original Mocheck advert. Not very clear screenshot unfortunately.
Title: Re: Mocheck Harrier
Post by: Clouddancer on August 25, 2026, 10:55:22 AM
Hello from Germany, maybe this Copy helps too clear the Story about the MOCHECK HONDA CB 400/450 four...
Title: Re: Mocheck Harrier
Post by: Clouddancer on August 25, 2026, 10:57:17 AM
MOCHECK HONDA
Title: Re: Mocheck Harrier
Post by: Clouddancer on August 25, 2026, 10:58:17 AM
MOCHEck HONDA
Title: Re: Mocheck Harrier
Post by: Clouddancer on August 25, 2026, 10:59:02 AM
MOCHECK HONDA
Title: Re: Mocheck Harrier
Post by: Clouddancer on August 25, 2026, 10:59:41 AM
MOCHECK Honda
Title: Re: Mocheck Harrier
Post by: stempy on August 25, 2026, 06:39:04 PM
I have scaned the pages from the article , is there anywhere to up load files to?
Title: Re: Mocheck Harrier
Post by: tom400f on August 30, 2026, 09:15:10 AM
The exhaust on that bike is indeed a Yoshimura. I had a chrome one and assumed all the downpipes had been made to the same length, accounting for the odd routing. Quiet in town, gets loud at 6500rpm.

The seat is a Giuliari 2-4 seat. Had one of those too! Not at all uncomfortable and did 220 miles in a day once with my brother on the back.
Title: Re: Mocheck Harrier
Post by: stempy on September 01, 2026, 07:43:53 PM
The exhaust on that bike is indeed a Yoshimura. I had a chrome one and assumed all the downpipes had been made to the same length, accounting for the odd routing. Quiet in town, gets loud at 6500rpm.

The seat is a Giuliari 2-4 seat. Had one of those too! Not at all uncomfortable and did 220 miles in a day once with my brother on the back.

Hi thanks for the reply ,I was told by the owner it was a yoshimura so great news it has been confirmed as well, just need to find a two four seat instead of the Giuliari seat , just for personal looks 🤔
Title: Re: Mocheck Harrier
Post by: XS850 on September 02, 2026, 08:50:49 AM
This one any use?!
Title: Re: Mocheck Harrier
Post by: Sesman on September 02, 2026, 09:25:08 AM
Mmm, harrier. Last time I saw one of those was with its guts hanging out on the Newcastle to Blyth coast road. It’s tuned 40hp was no match for a 550 GS Suzuki. I believe it had dropped a rod.
Title: Re: Mocheck Harrier
Post by: tom400f on September 03, 2026, 05:23:25 PM
This one any use?!

See also https://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,4832.msg22478.html#msg22478
Title: Re: Mocheck Harrier
Post by: stempy on September 03, 2026, 06:23:39 PM
This one any use?!

Was it originally a two four seat ?
Title: Re: Mocheck Harrier
Post by: XS850 on September 04, 2026, 08:47:18 AM
No idea - sorry, it’s exactly as it came with my 400 before rebuild - that’s now been done to original std (with tweaks!) so it’s sitting taking up space.