Honda-SOHC
SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB500/550 => Topic started by: badger_eng on August 21, 2026, 06:29:42 PM
-
Firstly I’ll apologise that I haven’t thoroughly searched the forum before asking the question, it’s been grandchild sitting day today so time has been of a premium.
Does anyone know of a website / resource that gives the year of manufacture of either / both of the engine no. and frame no. to help date and identify the components.
The 1977 Honda CB550K I am waiting on delivery of is advertised as a US spec bike but now UK registered. I’d like to verify the DOB and model type of these resources are available.
For no other reason other than I’m a bit nerdy like that.
Thanks in advance.
-
No need for any follow ups, just received this from owner…
[attachimg=1]
Thanks anyway
-
That's the beauty of USA imports, all the info you need is on the data / VIN tag on the steering stem. UK models didn't even get VIN plates until about 1975 and even then the info is limited.
-
If it has an age related registration plate then DVLA must be satisfied about it's age, I believe they add a year so it's always a year newer than the VOSA. Certificate.
If you are really nerdy the VJMC might help, there will be membership fee and a charge for a dating certificate.
-
Thanks for the folllow ups. The image is actually a letter from the VJMC to the previous previous owner.
The previous owner (who I’ve bought the bike off) just sent me the letter via WhatsApp along with a pic of the VIN plate.
I made the mistake of asking here first before asking the vendor.
Thanks anyway.
Looks like it’s a 1977 550K US spec. However it’s painted in 1977 UK spec Candy Sword Blue if I’ve done my research correctly (Not for long tho 😆)
-
Thanks for the folllow ups. The image is actually a letter from the VJMC to the previous previous owner.
The previous owner (who I’ve bought the bike off) just sent me the letter via WhatsApp along with a pic of the VIN plate.
I made the mistake of asking here first before asking the vendor.
Thanks anyway.
Looks like it’s a 1977 550K US spec. However it’s painted in 1977 UK spec Candy Sword Blue if I’ve done my research correctly (Not for long tho 😆)
Candy Sword Blue is a CB550 F2 model colour, not a CB550 K model colour. Or, the CB550F1 came in Flake Sapphire blue, but with no stripes on the tank.
-
Gracias amigo 👍
-
I have a good list for 500 and early us 550 but didnt go as far as K3.
One thing i found was that all at the same time Honda were building
CB500K1 FOR UK
CB500K2 FORUSA
CB550K0 FOR USA
This confuses the 500 frame numbers somewhat as numbers that should be early according to US literature arnt.
I can do a screenshot of the 550 page from my id book if you want
-
I have a good list for 500 and early us 550 but didnt go as far as K3.
One thing i found was that all at the same time Honda were building
CB500K1 FOR UK
CB500K2 FORUSA
CB550K0 FOR USA
This confuses the 500 frame numbers somewhat as numbers that should be early according to US literature arnt.
I can do a screenshot of the 550 page from my id book if you want
Thanks Bryan. That would be great when you have the time. No rush 👍
-
Screenshot as promised, sorry for delay, life suddenly got hectic!!
-
Perfect. Thank you.
-
No problem, bought that book a lot of years ago, cant get one now
-
Gold dust 👍
-
Hi Bryan, do you have a similar list for the UK 500 K1 that you could post?
-
Ted, the UK numbers dont follow the US system, ours were all, officially, K1 whilst they got K0, K1 and K2. Yes i know there are UK reg K0 but they apparently were grey imports from Europe, Honda GB insist the only ones officially here were the press bikes, i have compiled a list of vin to build dates using US Vin tags, i will find that and post it for you
-
Ted, the UK numbers dont follow the US system, ours were all, officially, K1 whilst they got K0, K1 and K2. Yes i know there are UK reg K0 but they apparently were grey imports from Europe, Honda GB insist the only ones officially here were the press bikes, i have compiled a list of vin to build dates using US Vin tags, i will find that and post it for you
Matches what I was told when attending Honda training courses. Only 3 CB500K0 were officially imported for press evaluation. One of each colour. A black, brown and a gold. The gold one was Starlight Gold not the Candy Gold custom which was the official gold for the UK. One got written off, rumour has it as the black one. One was crushed for some reason and the other was sold to a staff member. No one knows what colour that was but if it was me I’d have chosen the gold, not a fan of the brown colour. I did know the reg numbers of the 3 bikes but it’s got missing over the years.
-
500 build dates for Ted
-
Just in case you cant open it, because its a converted fileit says engine number above frame numbers