Honda-SOHC

Other Stuff => Misc / Open => Topic started by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on August 23, 2026, 01:43:06 PM

Title: Do all petrol pipes turn hard ?
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on August 23, 2026, 01:43:06 PM
When charging my 400 battery up last week I noticed that my petrol pipe had lost a lot of it's original flexibility.
After a tip from a member I fitted an in line Aeroline  alloy bodied  fuel filter. The filter is mounted in a space near the tool box front. To avoid kinking the pipe runs round the tool tray and then back to the carbs.

I noticed a definite hardening of the flexible pipe, I can't remember now what brand I fitted, it wasn't DS.
Is this something to worry about, should I be replacing it ?
Title: Re: Do all petrol pipes turn hard ?
Post by: Athame57 on August 23, 2026, 02:21:14 PM
I would replace anything that has gone hard. Funny but the usual culprit with me is the carburettor overflow tubes.
Title: Re: Do all petrol pipes turn hard ?
Post by: Laverda Dave on August 23, 2026, 09:28:21 PM
I had the exact opposite Ted, my fuel pipe turned to jelly and swelled so badly it fell off the fuel tap spigot when I took the clip off!
Title: Re: Do all petrol pipes turn hard ?
Post by: Laverda Dave on August 23, 2026, 09:29:51 PM
I purchased a length of viton fuel hose with the correct internal bore from Bryan, I don't know if he has any stock left?
Title: Re: Do all petrol pipes turn hard ?
Post by: Bryanj on August 23, 2026, 09:35:14 PM
I think i have 1 meter left avaiable of the Honda pipe i bought from japan
Title: Re: Do all petrol pipes turn hard ?
Post by: Athame57 on August 24, 2026, 07:06:50 AM
I had the exact opposite Ted, my fuel pipe turned to jelly and swelled so badly it fell off the fuel tap spigot when I took the clip off!

It must have been liquorice!  ;D
Title: Re: Do all petrol pipes turn hard ?
Post by: Oddjob on September 05, 2026, 03:47:25 PM
I bought 10 metres of genuine Honda petrol pipe like Bryan. I’ll use about 2 metres myself but the rest is available to buy if anyone is desperate.
Title: Re: Do all petrol pipes turn hard ?
Post by: Skoti on September 05, 2026, 04:13:45 PM
I would replace anything that has gone hard. Funny but the usual culprit with me is the carburettor overflow tubes.

Genuine Honda overflow tubes also available.

https://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/tubes/ (https://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/tubes/)
Title: Re: Do all petrol pipes turn hard ?
Post by: Oddjob on September 05, 2026, 05:37:36 PM
For a premium price, he should wear a mask charging that much.
Title: Re: Do all petrol pipes turn hard ?
Post by: Skoti on September 05, 2026, 06:36:02 PM
For a premium price, he should wear a mask charging that much.

Others might say:-

"Quality is remembered long after price is forgotten"
Title: Re: Do all petrol pipes turn hard ?
Post by: Oddjob on September 05, 2026, 07:54:30 PM
That may be but when you know how much he’s paying for it compared to how much he’s charging you to buy it you tend to focus on the price rather than how good it is.
Title: Re: Do all petrol pipes turn hard ?
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on September 05, 2026, 08:01:42 PM
It's so long since I bought my petrol pipe I can't remember what the correct i/d is for my 400.
One of the details I omitted from my first build log.
Title: Re: Do all petrol pipes turn hard ?
Post by: Oddjob on September 05, 2026, 09:16:42 PM
It’s normally 5.5mm Ted.
Title: Re: Do all petrol pipes turn hard ?
Post by: Bryanj on September 05, 2026, 11:41:37 PM
I am open to say it cost me over £80 to import an 8mtr roll of Honda 5.5 fuel pipe from Japan as HMRC got involved
Title: Re: Do all petrol pipes turn hard ?
Post by: Oddjob on September 06, 2026, 01:07:45 AM
Yeah, about the same for me.
Title: Re: Do all petrol pipes turn hard ?
Post by: Athame57 on September 06, 2026, 05:36:59 AM
Does anyone remember what size the overflow pipis are?
Title: Re: Do all petrol pipes turn hard ?
Post by: Skoti on September 06, 2026, 01:03:54 PM
Does anyone remember what size the overflow pipis are?

If you mean the inside diameter, it could possibly be 3.5mm according to the part number on the CMSNL web site.
Title: Re: Do all petrol pipes turn hard ?
Post by: Athame57 on September 06, 2026, 03:38:38 PM
Thanks Skoti.  ;)