Honda-SOHC
SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB350/400 => Topic started by: Ken4004 on August 23, 2026, 04:28:26 PM
-
Hi everyone, I have never used it on the cb400 but wrongly assumed that the steering lock key was the same as the ignition and seat lock but just discovered that it’s totally different.
Now when I bought the bike I only had one key so obviously sometime over the bike life the key was lost by a previous owner.
So my first question , is it worth buying a key for the steering lock because to me it looks like it would be quite easy to break the lock do it’s a bit pointless locking it ?
My second question is where would I get a replacement key from if I wanted one or would it mean changing the lock for a new one ?
-
Well I had my ignition keys duplicated by DSS years ago, and they still do. All you have to do is ask them. I googled honda motorcycle keys cut to code and got results, mostly for used keys, but I think the market may be too small for anyone to cut what you want. You'll certainly need the code though. As for security, well I guess it is better than nothing if you didn't travel with something better, a thief would still have to break the lock and that means behaving suspiciously. It was a steering lock that saved me from losing a Suzuki RG500 Gamma ( remember them?) thanks to the noise he was making in my back garden, I was in the bath and heard it. After that I used the chain every time even if I was only going away briefly. But as before, worth having.
-
Thanks for the reply George, I’ll have a look around on the internet and see what I can find, as you say it’s better than nothing but if someone is determined to steal your bike they will but it might stop an amateur.
-
Hi Ken ,
Try arun-locks.co.uk
He cut me a pair of seat keys from a number really quickly .
Brilliant work , and he's local in Billingshurst .
You might find its a German key and not a Honda one , but it's worth a try .
Good luck !
-
Hi Dave
Thanks for the information, I am on Copthorne so not too far for me to go pay him a visit.
Regards Ken
-
You should get able to get a key for the ignition /seat lock, there is chap on eBay who has NOS Honda keys, he lists them by code number so you may be lucky and he has one you are after. Sorry but I don't know his eBay details but just type in honda motorcycle keys. Also do a search on here for motorcycle keys as this issue has been discussed on here a few times.
I don't think you will get a new steering lock key though unless you know the code. DSS sells original steering locks (with two keys supplied). TBH steering locks were useless so it's more for completeness to have a steering lock. Remove the old lock by drilling out the rivet. When replacing you will need to drill out the old rivet completely in order to fit the new one properly. I think DSS sells the washer separately, you will need a new one if you damage it drilling out the old rivet. Most likely the spring that fits between the bottom of the lock barrel and headstock will be rusty when you pull the old lock out.
-
I think the 400 uses the nieman lock on side of headstock and you can not get keys for those, you have to change the lock which is fairly easy
-
Pic of lock i think it is, it is held in by a washer and rivet and you carefull drill the lock out so as not to damage the spring that goes in first
-
[
Both sides of the key
[attach=1]
[attach=2]
[attach=3]
[attach=4]
I have never figured out how the key number matches the number on the barrel.
The washer that holds it in just has the manufacturers name the same as the key
Regards
Dave
-
I can remember going to a locksmith with a key and him telling me the blanks just were not available, and with no key you have to drill the lock anyway, 13mm from memory, and its brass so fairly easy
-
Hi Bryan
Thank you for the info I’ll take a look into this .
Regards Ken
-
[
Both sides of the key
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
I have never figured out how the key number matches the number on the barrel.
The washer that holds it in just has the manufacturers name the same as the key
Regards
Dave
Hi Dave
Thank you for the info I’ll take a loon when I get a minute.
Regards Ken
-
Drilling out is pretty easy, basically when you drill into the lock the springs/levers that operate the brass levers fall to bits, this allows the lock to be removed.
The holding rivet usually just levers out, I put an old screwdriver and tapped it into the area between the washer and lock/ frame area. It levered out quite easily.
-
Drilling out is pretty easy, basically when you drill into the lock the springs/levers that operate the brass levers fall to bits, this allows the lock to be removed.
The holding rivet usually just levers out, I put an old screwdriver and tapped it into the area between the washer and lock/ frame area. It levered out quite easily.
Ok thanks for the advice Ted
-
Fitted a new one on my K3 frame just to comply with correctness! How many times have I used it in the last 8 or so years? To be fair if the bikes outside I’m usually on it, then it’s back in the shed. Reasonably easy job to do.😜
-
When you have your new lock fitted, please don't make the same daft mistake as me. Unlocked steering, wheeled bike out of garage, turned steerin to the left and snapped the key which I had left in the lock. Older and wiser??? Nah.
-
When you have your new lock fitted, please don't make the same daft mistake as me. Unlocked steering, wheeled bike out of garage, turned steerin to the left and snapped the key which I had left in the lock. Older and wiser??? Nah.
Hi Mickey
Very wise words thanks for the advice.
Regards Ken