Honda-SOHC

Other Stuff => Misc / Open => Topic started by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on August 25, 2026, 09:08:42 PM

Title: Honda CB400NA (2 cylinder) road test in old Magazine.
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on August 25, 2026, 09:08:42 PM
I was quite surprised to read a road test of the 400N reprinted in 2003 claiming a top speed of 105 mph, that's probably faster than a yellow 400/4.
Best one way speed was 110.2 mph, normally seated at 88.55 mph, despite this it's described as lackluster.
Title: Re: Honda CB400NA (2 cylinder) road test in old Magazine.
Post by: Bryanj on August 25, 2026, 09:31:24 PM
They were quite quick and smooth with the balance shafts
Title: Re: Honda CB400NA (2 cylinder) road test in old Magazine.
Post by: Laverda Dave on August 25, 2026, 10:16:05 PM
They were always tested as being faster than a 400/4 Ted (but never tested against a yellow one obviously.....).
Title: Re: Honda CB400NA (2 cylinder) road test in old Magazine.
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on August 25, 2026, 11:00:34 PM
I'm guessing that's why they never built the Superdream in yellow, Honda wanted to preserve the image of the yellow 400/4.😁
Title: Re: Honda CB400NA (2 cylinder) road test in old Magazine.
Post by: Athame57 on August 26, 2026, 02:14:09 AM
Strange that the 400 was very fast, I'm sure I remember a test that gave it 111mph, but the 250 version was very slow!  :o  Rather impressive given they were actually 395cc compared to the 404cc of a CB400F.
Title: Re: Honda CB400NA (2 cylinder) road test in old Magazine.
Post by: Laverda Dave on August 26, 2026, 09:28:39 AM
The 250 Superdream was a bit of a slug really George although they (to my eyes) looked so much better than what else was on offer (apart from the LC). The Superdream 250 suffered the same fate as the Yamaha XS250 in that they were the same bike as their 400cc bigger brothers but were obviously sleeved down 400cc engines but lumbered with carrying the same mass around and therefore their performance suffered. A friend of mine had a 250 Superdream and the most she ever got out of it was just over 80mph. It could have been worse, she could have bought an XS250 and she'd still be trying to start it today!
Title: Re: Honda CB400NA (2 cylinder) road test in old Magazine.
Post by: florence on August 26, 2026, 09:52:58 AM
They were very slow, I had a Dream 250, it was more like a nightmare.

My CB125T was faster.
Title: Re: Honda CB400NA (2 cylinder) road test in old Magazine.
Post by: Rozabikes Tim on August 26, 2026, 10:31:48 AM
They were very slow, I had a Dream 250, it was more like a nightmare.

My CB125T was faster.
I've owned both 400/4 and 400 Superdream. Yes the twin was faster for sure. However my 400 is blue. Now if it was yellow...?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Title: Re: Honda CB400NA (2 cylinder) road test in old Magazine.
Post by: Bryanj on August 26, 2026, 11:33:42 AM
No idea what this thing about yellow is, they paint fire engines red!
Title: Re: Honda CB400NA (2 cylinder) road test in old Magazine.
Post by: Laverda Dave on August 26, 2026, 11:49:16 AM
They were very slow, I had a Dream 250, it was more like a nightmare.

My CB125T was faster.
I've owned both 400/4 and 400 Superdream. Yes the twin was faster for sure. However my 400 is blue. Now if it was yellow...?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

I like your thinking Tim, go to the top of the class, you can be milk monitor all next week👍

Bryan, you are 100% correct about red fire engines except........ airport fire engines are in the main painted yellow, this must be to make them go faster when travelling up the runway. I can only think Mr Honda may have driven an airport fire engine prior to starting his company and knew he needed to paint what would be his fastest bikes yellow, I think my theory may be correct.......or not.......😳
Title: Re: Honda CB400NA (2 cylinder) road test in old Magazine.
Post by: Athame57 on August 26, 2026, 11:55:33 AM
Bryan, you are 100% correct about red fire engines except........ airport fire engines are in the main painted yellow, this must be to make them go faster when travelling up the runway.

Dave, no no no. It stems from forces slang really. The RAF regiment is known as  Crabfat Crabs go sideways and fat is yellow!" Yellow as in chicken.  ;D
Title: Re: Honda CB400NA (2 cylinder) road test in old Magazine.
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on August 26, 2026, 12:06:12 PM
I thought RAF Regiment were known as Rock Apes ?
Title: Re: Honda CB400NA (2 cylinder) road test in old Magazine.
Post by: Athame57 on August 26, 2026, 12:12:38 PM
I thought RAF Regiment were known as Rock Apes ?
Only in Gibraltar!  ;D Actually, searching my memory I think it is the whole RAF that get/got called Crabfat.  ;)
Title: Re: Honda CB400NA (2 cylinder) road test in old Magazine.
Post by: Rozabikes Tim on August 26, 2026, 12:37:13 PM
No idea what this thing about yellow is, they paint fire engines red!
You will notice fire engines sometimes are yellow at airports. To catch the planes.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Title: Re: Honda CB400NA (2 cylinder) road test in old Magazine.
Post by: taysidedragon on August 26, 2026, 01:43:52 PM
Fire engines are slow, whatever the colour. They're carrying tons of water! 😄
Title: Re: Honda CB400NA (2 cylinder) road test in old Magazine.
Post by: Rozabikes Tim on August 26, 2026, 01:50:03 PM
Bryan, you are 100% correct about red fire engines except........ airport fire engines are in the main painted yellow, this must be to make them go faster when travelling up the runway.

Dave, no no no. It stems from forces slang really. The RAF regiment is known as  Crabfat Crabs go sideways and fat is yellow!" Yellow as in chicken.  ;D
No, just a historic word spelling change I suspect.  The original was CrabFAST (assuming yellow involved).

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk