Honda-SOHC

Other Stuff => Misc / Open => Topic started by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on August 28, 2026, 09:30:27 PM

Title: Superdream caliper sliders question?
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on August 28, 2026, 09:30:27 PM
I'm in the process of cleaning up the caliper sliders on my CB400NA, it has a single piston for each pad being an early version.
The bellows type rubbers are in good condition, one slider has what looks like graphite grease, the other was almost dry.

What is the best grease to use on assembly that will withstand the heat generated during braking ?
Title: Re: Superdream caliper sliders question?
Post by: Bryanj on August 28, 2026, 09:53:22 PM
Never used anything other than coppaslip on brakes mate
Title: Re: Superdream caliper sliders question?
Post by: Oddjob on August 28, 2026, 11:06:59 PM
I’m preferring silicon grease for brakes these days Ted. It is highly resistant to temps and unlike petroleum based grease it doesn’t harm rubber components. I tend to fill the piston seal groove with it and wipe off the excess when it’s fitted. Plus it’s compatible with DOT5 brake fluid which is also silicon based. Just doing a z1000 brakes atm, new MC, new lines and all new seals in the calipers so why not convert to DOT5 at the same time. No need to change it ever again, no moisture ingress and doesn’t harm paintwork. What’s not to like?

The sludge left by the old brake fluid behind the pistons was beyond belief. I don’t think it had been changed in 50 years it was so black.

Nickel grease is as good as copper grease if you prefer going that way.
Title: Re: Superdream caliper sliders question?
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on August 29, 2026, 07:28:54 AM
Thanks Ken, I will be using Dot 5.0 as I did on the 400 & 500.
 I happen to have some silicone grease in stock as well.👍