Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB500/550 => Topic started by: Neilw on September 02, 2026, 04:59:19 PM

Title: Rear Wheel Rubber Dampers
Post by: Neilw on September 02, 2026, 04:59:19 PM
So I've managed to remove the Bearing Retainer with a nifty tool I got for a few quid on Amazon, it's adjustable and did the job beautifully.

The rubber dampers appeared to be in good condition, not damaged in any way, and when everything was cleaned up i refitted.

There is a small amount of movement from the Final Drive Flange that sits on top of the rubbers, probably a few mm either way and maybe a mm rocking up/down.  How much movement should there be before i should replace the rubbers? The manual doesn't say anything - either Haynes or Honda.
Title: Re: Rear Wheel Rubber Dampers
Post by: Oddjob on September 02, 2026, 05:42:35 PM
Should be no movement at all. That’s a 550 hub, different rubbers to the 500. Hard to find new these days. Is the movement with or without the bearing retainer fitted and tightened?
Title: Re: Rear Wheel Rubber Dampers
Post by: Neilw on September 02, 2026, 05:56:23 PM
Should be no movement at all. That’s a 550 hub, different rubbers to the 500. Hard to find new these days. Is the movement with or without the bearing retainer fitted and tightened?

It's without the bearing retainer fitted and tightened. Before I took it off, there was some movement, which led me to take it off, but after cleaning, the movement seemed a little less. Yes, its for the 550 and yes, I've found it difficult to find a supplier for a reasonable price.
Title: Re: Rear Wheel Rubber Dampers
Post by: Oddjob on September 02, 2026, 05:59:29 PM
When you reassemble it make sure you use some MolyD grease on the sliding surface of the sprocket carrier. Have you checked that yet, no grease makes them go oval and that may be your problem. Look at the grooves in the surface, they should all look the same and feel the same.
Title: Re: Rear Wheel Rubber Dampers
Post by: Neilw on September 02, 2026, 06:15:40 PM
When you reassemble it make sure you use some MolyD grease on the sliding surface of the sprocket carrier. Have you checked that yet, no grease makes them go oval and that may be your problem. Look at the grooves in the surface, they should all look the same and feel the same.

3 of the grooves are the same depth and profile, the 4th is worn down, see pics.

I only intend doing a few 100 miles a year, i've also found a supplier, Honda Classics that has the rubbers for £38 for a set. What's best to do?
Title: Re: Rear Wheel Rubber Dampers
Post by: Oddjob on September 02, 2026, 06:28:49 PM
Really bad and the grooves are almost gone. Yours isn’t fantastic but it may suffice. Remove the damper rubbers and fit the carrier with the retainer tightened. Check to see how much movement you get then. A new set of rubbers will help take up some of the movement so long as there isn’t a lot to start with.
Title: Re: Rear Wheel Rubber Dampers
Post by: Neilw on September 02, 2026, 07:01:19 PM
Really bad and the grooves are almost gone. Yours isn’t fantastic but it may suffice. Remove the damper rubbers and fit the carrier with the retainer tightened. Check to see how much movement you get then. A new set of rubbers will help take up some of the movement so long as there isn’t a lot to start with.

OK, I'll try that and see how i get on. I guess a second hand replacement in good condition may be difficult to find. there is one on Ebay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/128050526747?_skw=cb550+rear+wheel+flange&itmmeta=01M1HKMSMVJQC1YMY99GX67WTG&hash=item1dd067fa1b:g:tY8AAeSwbS9qksm4&itmprp=enc%3AAQALAAAA8GfYFPkwiKCW4ZNSs2u11xD1DiVzOs6d%2FBfLWg1LVd4ahzecGPJXxq4JXqnwR%2B4xtoHFCMH%2BUl4jORMvn67kVnCYqdWNhG1GKB7pGtKS%2FGcfyZ6HMdYOYVCp5MSs5Qy7mtYlONBTWo151BlXfTbAjWx2iSmylFL%2FBbdSxwzEgyxJRdZVDMASydl6l1LfGheB2dI3LKK%2F5C3pS2mrkN8HZVLI1cvkKA7Z7NHSAQrJpkuuNNKdn7tkNiDXybwVjgFqmDgZugIFUCVkzllhMlSI9GExTnosxB8XmTZi9x8GyqWo0L4ouQwweRV2gIt0yxmbGA%3D%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR-ya07OMaA (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/128050526747?_skw=cb550+rear+wheel+flange&itmmeta=01M1HKMSMVJQC1YMY99GX67WTG&hash=item1dd067fa1b:g:tY8AAeSwbS9qksm4&itmprp=enc%3AAQALAAAA8GfYFPkwiKCW4ZNSs2u11xD1DiVzOs6d%2FBfLWg1LVd4ahzecGPJXxq4JXqnwR%2B4xtoHFCMH%2BUl4jORMvn67kVnCYqdWNhG1GKB7pGtKS%2FGcfyZ6HMdYOYVCp5MSs5Qy7mtYlONBTWo151BlXfTbAjWx2iSmylFL%2FBbdSxwzEgyxJRdZVDMASydl6l1LfGheB2dI3LKK%2F5C3pS2mrkN8HZVLI1cvkKA7Z7NHSAQrJpkuuNNKdn7tkNiDXybwVjgFqmDgZugIFUCVkzllhMlSI9GExTnosxB8XmTZi9x8GyqWo0L4ouQwweRV2gIt0yxmbGA%3D%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR-ya07OMaA), but i cant tell the condition.
Title: Re: Rear Wheel Rubber Dampers
Post by: Bryanj on September 02, 2026, 07:31:17 PM
Problem is Hondas were so damed reliable that nobody ever took the retainer out so it never got re greased!!
Title: Re: Rear Wheel Rubber Dampers
Post by: Oddjob on September 02, 2026, 08:42:50 PM
For the price I would buy that. Dirt cheap for what it is.
Title: Re: Rear Wheel Rubber Dampers
Post by: mickwinf on September 03, 2026, 10:33:37 AM
that ebay listing is mine! glad its going to a good home. I have a retainer as well if required.
Title: Re: Rear Wheel Rubber Dampers
Post by: mickwinf on September 03, 2026, 12:23:58 PM
I stuck the retainer in the box, if you dont need it pass it on or chuck it.
Title: Re: Rear Wheel Rubber Dampers
Post by: Neilw on September 03, 2026, 07:57:47 PM
I stuck the retainer in the box, if you dont need it pass it on or chuck it.

Thank you.
Title: Re: Rear Wheel Rubber Dampers
Post by: Neilw on September 07, 2026, 03:38:33 PM
that ebay listing is mine! glad its going to a good home. I have a retainer as well if required.

Seems to be a much better fit, no wobble, although some minor rotational movement, which i guess is rubber-related. It's a few mm, so do I need to replace the rubbers, or will I get away with the existing ones?
Title: Re: Rear Wheel Rubber Dampers
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on September 07, 2026, 04:49:44 PM
What is the  general condition of the  rubbers, are they still soft enough to do the job or have they gone hard or do they look cracked or perished?   

Is the few mm movement  slack with no resistance or is there some resistance?
It's a judgement issue that you will have a gut instinct for.


Title: Re: Rear Wheel Rubber Dampers
Post by: Neilw on September 07, 2026, 06:26:14 PM
What is the  general condition of the  rubbers, are they still soft enough to do the job or have they gone hard or do they look cracked or perished?   

Is the few mm movement  slack with no resistance or is there some resistance?
It's a judgement issue that you will have a gut instinct for.

They are in good condition, not particularly hard and no cracks. I'm inclined to try it like is and see what it's like to ride. I guess i'll notice slip or a clonking noise if the rubbers are worn.
Title: Re: Rear Wheel Rubber Dampers
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on September 07, 2026, 06:46:27 PM
Not a big job to change them later
Title: Re: Rear Wheel Rubber Dampers
Post by: deltarider on September 09, 2026, 07:55:28 AM
You can make your own with pleaded pieces of bicycle inner tube.
Title: Re: Rear Wheel Rubber Dampers
Post by: Sesman on September 09, 2026, 08:17:07 AM
Please don’t make them from inner tube rubber😳. I think he meant ‘shim’ them with cutdown inner tube. TBH, the dampers are exactly what they claim to be and any loss of condition will simply result in a harsher ride and more drive chain snatch. Personally I’d take the hit and replace them, but if desperate shim them. Removing the slack might still not result in a satisfactory solution if the dampers have gone hard.

I’m inclined to agree with Ted. Suck it and see. If the ride is tolerable go with it, if not you can replace them at a later date. I replaced mine and the difference in ride experience was very noticeable.
Title: Re: Rear Wheel Rubber Dampers
Post by: Neilw on September 09, 2026, 08:37:23 AM
Please don’t make them from inner tube rubber😳. I think he meant ‘shim’ them with cutdown inner tube. TBH, the dampers are exactly what they claim to be and any loss of condition will simply result in a harsher ride and more drive chain snatch. Personally I’d take the hit and replace them, but if desperate shim them. Removing the slack might still not result in a satisfactory solution if the dampers have gone hard.

I’m inclined to agree with Ted. Suck it and see. If the ride is tolerable go with it, if not you can replace them at a later date. I replaced mine and the difference in ride experience was very noticeable.

I found some reasonably priced ones in Germany, so as you say i might just bite the bullet, as i already have the wheel off and need to put new rubber on it anyway. What's another £35 to an ever-growing bill :-)
Title: Re: Rear Wheel Rubber Dampers
Post by: Oddjob on September 09, 2026, 12:48:44 PM
I’d have said replace them. For gods sake don’t forget to grease the sliding mechanism. Easy done in your haste to get everything back together. Ideally the sprocket carrier should be quite hard to get back into place, some silicon or rubber grease helps to slide it back into place. It should have minimal movement if it’s done right. Less than 1mm I’d say. That’s forward and back not left to right.
Title: Re: Rear Wheel Rubber Dampers
Post by: Sesman on September 10, 2026, 10:29:10 PM
Definitely replace them unless it means severe financial hardship 😳. Honestly, it’s worth the expense. Do it right, do it once. Easier to write than accept, and yes, it gets expensive…. Ask me how I know.
Title: Re: Rear Wheel Rubber Dampers
Post by: Neilw on September 11, 2026, 08:30:50 AM
Definitely replace them unless it means severe financial hardship 😳. Honestly, it’s worth the expense. Do it right, do it once. Easier to write than accept, and yes, it gets expensive…. Ask me how I know.

Done, purchase made.
Title: Re: Rear Wheel Rubber Dampers
Post by: Murf on September 11, 2026, 10:16:17 AM
I have to replace the clutch rubbers in my 2018 Yamaha Tracer because it has gone all snatchy and lumpy at low revs, it’s sort of comforting in a world gone mad with technology and AI that we still rely on bits of rubber for a comfortable ride 😂.
Title: Re: Rear Wheel Rubber Dampers
Post by: badger_eng on September 11, 2026, 10:38:57 AM
I have to replace the clutch rubbers in my 2018 Yamaha Tracer because it has gone all snatchy and lumpy at low revs, it’s sort of comforting in a world gone mad with technology and AI that we still rely on bits of rubber for a comfortable ride 😂.
;D