Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB500/550 => Topic started by: Neilw on September 04, 2026, 08:50:24 AM

Title: Tyres Help
Post by: Neilw on September 04, 2026, 08:50:24 AM
I need to put some new tyres on the CB550 and wonder which ones are the best for my needs. As i'll only be doing a few hundred dry miles a year i don't want to spend loads, but i do want a comfortable ride.

I've looked back at previous posts, and some of the tyres mentioned are no longer available or are listed as NOS on ebay - which if they are old, I'm steering away from.

Any pointers welcome - I'll need new tubes and rim tape too, but I guess they will be easier to find.

I'm not bothered about keeping them period-looking, just something that will do the job.
Title: Re: Tyres Help
Post by: badger_eng on September 04, 2026, 08:59:56 AM
I’ll have to replace the tyres on my CB550 as they are literally past their sell by date. That’s for next year tho.

I’ll be putting Michelin Classic Road’s on. I fitted them to my CX500 and they were great.

Not cheap, but nice and neutral steering.



Title: Re: Tyres Help
Post by: Bryanj on September 04, 2026, 09:49:28 AM
Metzeller ME11, ME22 as the 33 no longer exists
Title: Re: Tyres Help
Post by: Johnwebley on September 04, 2026, 09:56:15 AM
I use Metzler ME22 on my little bikes,work really good

Very tempted to fit them to the 500

At present it runs on Bridgestone BT46

3.25 front and a 4.00 rear,

Can't fault them



Sent from my SM-A546E using Tapatalk

Title: Re: Tyres Help
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on September 04, 2026, 09:59:46 AM
I have Dunlop Gold Seal K70s, it was a combination of price and what was available, I have wider than standard rear rim.
They look the part, as always tyres are down to personal taste.
I avoided the unknown Chinese cheapies.
That said China is, I believe, the largest manufacturer of vehicle tyres in the world.
Title: Re: Tyres Help
Post by: Bryanj on September 04, 2026, 10:26:58 AM
Or Continental RB2/K112 but you can only getvthe rear in 4.00x18
Title: Re: Tyres Help
Post by: Neilw on September 04, 2026, 11:16:50 AM
Can I mix Tyre brands, front and back?  The problem I'm having is finding a brand that offers both front and rear in these sizes: F - 3.25-19 and R - 3.75-18.

I'm not experienced enough to know whether there is any wiggle room in the sizes or if I need to stick to the book.
Title: Re: Tyres Help
Post by: badger_eng on September 04, 2026, 11:21:58 AM
Mixing brands is not the wisest of moves.

The wheel rim size (width) can accommodate a few different width tyres. That will help you choose.

Google wheel rim V tyre size options and you can then choose a pair that suit your budget and are matched by brand
Title: Re: Tyres Help
Post by: florence on September 04, 2026, 12:21:35 PM
+1 on the Michelin Road Classics.  I have new on both wheels.  Bike used to tram line terribly on Avons.  Now with the Michelins, totally cured, corners effortlessly.
Title: Re: Tyres Help
Post by: Bryanj on September 04, 2026, 02:37:26 PM
You can put a 4.00x18 on the rear no problem
Title: Re: Tyres Help
Post by: Neilw on September 04, 2026, 02:39:37 PM
You can put a 4.00x18 on the rear no problem

ok, thanks
Title: Re: Tyres Help
Post by: Bryanj on September 04, 2026, 03:16:07 PM
Metric to imperial chart
Title: Re: Tyres Help
Post by: Skoti on September 05, 2026, 04:21:57 PM
I’ll have to replace the tyres on my CB550 as they are literally past their sell by date. That’s for next year tho.

I’ll be putting Michelin Classic Road’s on. I fitted them to my CX500 and they were great.

Not cheap, but nice and neutral steering.

Aye,
agree with you about the Michelin Classic, they also seem to be lasting me ages compared to other makes, although if you're fussy about looks they appear skinny and narrow compared to other tyres the same size.

 
Title: Re: Tyres Help
Post by: deltarider on September 06, 2026, 04:42:55 PM
It seems not everyone is happy with Michelin Road Classic tyres... https://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,205545.msg2322954.html#msg2322954
Title: Re: Tyres Help
Post by: badger_eng on September 06, 2026, 05:03:07 PM
And plenty of posters in the thread who are fine with them!

Quite normal for any review of tyres on any forum.

People asking for feedback on tyre makes me smile tbh.

All the major manufacturers make good tyres. They grip better (wet or dry) and last longer in like for like circumstances than they ever have.
The grip available is also better than most riders capability. The riders actions usually cause a crash and not the tyre.

Then we get into people loving a brand / type and others hating the brand / type.

There are so many variables involved - Rider / pillion weight, luggage, tyre pressures, tarmac type, temperature, suspension settings etc etc that what works for one rider won’t necessarily work the same for another using the same tyre in a different country, continent or riding style.

If you find a brand that suits your riding plans, style, cost and expected duration. I’d just stick with it.

All just my opinion of course but I’ve yet to have a tyre be the cause of my three crashes. Two were due to my ability and one was a suicidal pedestrian.
Title: Re: Tyres Help
Post by: Sesman on September 06, 2026, 05:36:03 PM
I use Avon road rider mkII, without complaint.
Title: Re: Tyres Help
Post by: badger_eng on September 06, 2026, 05:41:38 PM
👍
Title: Re: Tyres Help
Post by: deltarider on September 06, 2026, 07:36:50 PM
It's not my habit to pass on negative reviews from other fora. In this case I made an exception. This was the reason:
Quote
I also asked Michelin about this and learned that the Road Classic isn't suitable for the CB 500 Four.
Michelin recommends the Active Road or something similar
...
And other comments in that same thread: https://cbfourclub.de/cbfourum/viewtopic.php?p=70875&hilit=michelin+road+classic#p70875 I select just one:
Quote
I have the exact same problems described here on my CB 750 K2, with a 3.25 front tire and a Michelin Road Classic. Both tires are brand new, front and rear.

The front end bounces, vibrates, and shakes; nothing I know of calms it down while riding. Especially between 60 and 100 km/h, the vibrations become so intense that my forearms tingle uncomfortably after just 25 km. Riding is absolutely no fun.

Like Howard, I've tried a lot of things to eliminate the problems, but there's no real solution, at best, only a slight shift in the symptoms.

Even increasing and decreasing the tire pressure to extremes, or test rides with two people and a heavy backpack, always lead to the same result.

I've never experienced anything like this in over 50 years of riding.
Again, I (DR) have no opinion on this. It's been an exception for me to pass such on.
Title: Re: Tyres Help
Post by: badger_eng on September 06, 2026, 07:48:28 PM
It makes you wonder doesn’t it,,,,

“What’s the angle”

I can’t say I’ve seen one single online retailer who sells them or Michelin directly advertising that these tyres are NOT suitable for Honda CB500’s



Title: Re: Tyres Help
Post by: Skoti on September 06, 2026, 07:56:03 PM
It's not my habit to pass on negative reviews from other fora. In this case I made an exception. This was the reason:
Quote
I also asked Michelin about this and learned that the Road Classic isn't suitable for the CB 500 Four.
Michelin recommends the Active Road or something similar
...
And other comments in that same thread: https://cbfourclub.de/cbfourum/viewtopic.php?p=70875&hilit=michelin+road+classic#p70875 I select just one:
Quote
I have the exact same problems described here on my CB 750 K2, with a 3.25 front tire and a Michelin Road Classic. Both tires are brand new, front and rear.

The front end bounces, vibrates, and shakes; nothing I know of calms it down while riding. Especially between 60 and 100 km/h, the vibrations become so intense that my forearms tingle uncomfortably after just 25 km. Riding is absolutely no fun.

Like Howard, I've tried a lot of things to eliminate the problems, but there's no real solution, at best, only a slight shift in the symptoms.

Even increasing and decreasing the tire pressure to extremes, or test rides with two people and a heavy backpack, always lead to the same result.

I've never experienced anything like this in over 50 years of riding.
Again, I (DR) have no opinion on this. It's been an exception for me to pass such on.


Oh no here we go again everyone, hold on tight to your bags of popcorn.
Title: Re: Tyres Help
Post by: badger_eng on September 06, 2026, 07:58:23 PM
LOL, salted or buttered?
Title: Re: Tyres Help
Post by: taysidedragon on September 06, 2026, 07:59:55 PM
LOL, salted or buttered?

😄 Very tyre-ing!
Title: Re: Tyres Help
Post by: badger_eng on September 06, 2026, 08:01:37 PM
Let’s not go where people fear to tread!
Title: Re: Tyres Help
Post by: DomP on September 06, 2026, 09:47:58 PM
I use Avon road rider mkII, without complaint.

Ive got road rider II on my cb550, i had the wheels powdercoated and have struggled to get the front seated fully.  Nice looking tyre though.
Title: Re: Tyres Help
Post by: florence on September 07, 2026, 08:47:46 AM
On Saturday, I went on a 312 mile round trip to the Long Mynd and rode at varying speeds.  My tyres were faultless in all conditions, town, country, motorway.  They are by far the best handling tyres I have used on my 500 in the last 30 years.
 
The important thing to note is Michelin Road Classic is a bias belted tyre and should not be mixed with other belting types.  I replaced my tyres as a pair so they are compatible and contemporary with one another.  Also, I question whether, in anecdotes referring to problems, they have been fitted correctly including direction of rotation etc?

South Shropshire is beautiful, especially at this time of year.
Title: Re: Tyres Help
Post by: Nashfly on September 07, 2026, 01:50:47 PM
I've been using the Avon Roadrider tyres for years, but they are no longer available.

I'm now using Michelin Road Classics on my CB500 four. I contacted Michelin regarding oressues and the original Honda settings (26f 28r) worked perfectly for me 11 1/2 stone (161lbs)

Title: Re: Tyres Help
Post by: K2-K6 on October 05, 2026, 09:12:15 AM
I usesilicone grease (silicone historically used as release agent in tyre manufacturing) on the beads when installing them.

Making clear ..... this is absolutely the minimum and sparsely applied to only bead, both inside (air void) to help then slide onto rim, and the internal/external "active" bead area to  give movement and alignment when pressure is established.

Firstly it makes them much easier to install if doing this yourself. Secondly, it then pops onto it's location with far greater consistency and ultimately with very accurate alignment of the carcass. I typically see less than 1/2 mm in lateral or radial run out when checked afterwards. They will usually finally locate under 40 psi pressure too.

Silicone has the benefit of being non corrosive promoting too, in comparison to some ad hoc soaps used in this application.  With tyre manufacturers producing tight tolerance for tubeless tyres, that seems to have followed into manufacturer of tubed type too, whereas a long while ago there was more variation in product.

It only needs a small hangup on beed in one location (usually the  final pop on location on installation) to give the carcass a distinct wobble in it's section, that's regardless of the alignment mark concentricity in relation to rim edge. Using the above method, theresfar more reliability to installation process in accuracy.  Just a small waver in centering alignment will give problems in steering wobble.