Honda-SOHC

Other Stuff => Desperately Seeking!! => Topic started by: Coppertop1234 on September 05, 2026, 08:31:45 AM

Title: 400/4 engine bars
Post by: Coppertop1234 on September 05, 2026, 08:31:45 AM
Can you still get the engine bars or has anyone got a set?
Title: Re: 400/4 engine bars
Post by: Athame57 on September 07, 2026, 03:25:04 AM
Engine bars on a 400/4 are a 1970s fashion crime!  :o Beware of returning over length bolts if you take a set off.
Title: Re: 400/4 engine bars
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on September 07, 2026, 07:35:13 AM
Punching a hole in your oil gallery is not recommended.
Title: Re: 400/4 engine bars
Post by: florence on September 07, 2026, 09:10:34 AM
when I bought my CB350 in 1985 it had engine bars on it.  I took them off.
Title: Re: 400/4 engine bars
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on September 07, 2026, 09:30:13 AM
My 400 Superdream had an engine crash bar, rear luggage rack with box, plus some rear side bars. They were very heavy with plenty of rusty chrome. They will go to the scrap man soon.
Title: Re: 400/4 engine bars
Post by: Coppertop1234 on September 07, 2026, 11:15:15 AM
They do the job of protecting casings from minor damage. If you drop it at low speed.

Yes they can also cause damage to frame

Yes seen many sets used too long bolts and opps they get an oil leak. Just changed an engine on son's bike for same thing

It was just a thought and that's probably why you can't find any about.
Title: Re: 400/4 engine bars
Post by: Laverda Dave on September 07, 2026, 11:26:18 AM
DSS used to sell a set, I don't know if they still do. I did buy a set but never fitted them, if I still have them (and can find them!) I'd be happy to sell them plus the P&P because they are large and no doubt heavy!
Title: Re: 400/4 engine bars
Post by: Otis on September 11, 2026, 03:49:00 PM
I love the smaller engine bars that fit the 500 and 750 but the big loopy bars for the 350?400 are pretty naff looking imho. I looked into them myself a while back but what I wanted wasn't available.
Title: Re: 400/4 engine bars
Post by: Coppertop1234 on September 11, 2026, 04:11:52 PM
The ones I wanted are the smaller casing bars to protect gen cover etc.

Agree the larger loop bars are bigger than the bike.
Title: Re: 400/4 engine bars
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on September 11, 2026, 05:47:05 PM
You could replace the flimsy steel points cover with an alloy type.
Title: Re: 400/4 engine bars
Post by: Oddjob on September 11, 2026, 11:07:19 PM
The CB650z fits and is an alloy type not pressed metal. Getting harder to find though.
Title: Re: 400/4 engine bars
Post by: Athame57 on September 12, 2026, 03:05:37 AM
The CB650z fits and is an alloy type not pressed metal. Getting harder to find though.

If you can afford it there are two left on the CMSL site.  ;)
Title: Re: 400/4 engine bars
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on September 12, 2026, 08:17:39 AM
I found a NOS 650 cover in France, it was around the £70 mark with postage.
Title: Re: 400/4 engine bars
Post by: Coppertop1234 on September 12, 2026, 08:52:18 AM
Can you post link Ted
I dont know what that looks like and I will.check out cmsl site
Thank you
Keith
Title: Re: 400/4 engine bars
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on September 12, 2026, 09:42:19 AM
Can you post link Ted
I dont know what that looks like and I will.check out cmsl site
Thank you
Keith

I bought the item from ebay, it was a French Classic Parts place, the part number was 30371-426-000 cost £68.66 with VAT and carraige in March 2024.

I found the item by a google search of the part number. I made a gasket to suit.


#  https://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cb650-1979-z-usa_model472/cover-point_30371426000/
Title: Re: 400/4 engine bars
Post by: Oddjob on September 12, 2026, 01:18:14 PM
Considering a new chrome cover is the best part of £60 the CMS price is quite reasonable. Even NOS ones can show some damage, mainly to the lacquer finish. I polished mine.
Title: Re: 400/4 engine bars
Post by: Coppertop1234 on September 12, 2026, 01:29:05 PM
And these are a straight fit ted?
Title: Re: 400/4 engine bars
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on September 12, 2026, 01:56:33 PM
And these are a straight fit ted?


Yes, Ken put me onto them.
Can't remember, I might have used longer fitting screws
Plus a gasket as the round ring has no recess.
Title: Re: 400/4 engine bars
Post by: Oddjob on September 12, 2026, 02:09:52 PM
Different bolts needed. Use the 8mm headed bolts Honda used on the 650 is my advice. Don’t think Honda used a gasket on the 650 but the cork one out of the chrome cover should fit if you feel the need to fit one.
Title: Re: 400/4 engine bars
Post by: Coppertop1234 on September 17, 2026, 05:26:18 PM
Thanks to Dave Engine Bars   - all Fitted

I took care to make sure the bolts did not touch the engine casing by filing 2 mm off both bolt and also nut so there is still a gap to casings

They will look better when out and about on pics

here is a few from in the garage

Title: Re: 400/4 engine bars
Post by: Bryanj on September 17, 2026, 06:37:04 PM
The bolts are not a problem when fitting thecbars, its if you use them after taking the bars off because they are longer
Title: Re: 400/4 engine bars
Post by: Coppertop1234 on September 17, 2026, 06:45:26 PM
Yes i could see that been an issue and an easy mistake to make.
Title: Re: 400/4 engine bars
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on September 17, 2026, 06:54:13 PM
Not really looked at the design before, they look neat.

The ones on my Superdream were not shaped & sculptured like those.
Title: Re: 400/4 engine bars
Post by: Otis on September 17, 2026, 09:43:10 PM
Thanks to Dave Engine Bars   - all Fitted

I took care to make sure the bolts did not touch the engine casing by filing 2 mm off both bolt and also nut so there is still a gap to casings

They will look better when out and about on pics

here is a few from in the garage

Now that is exactly what I would like to have for my 350 Four.
Title: Re: 400/4 engine bars
Post by: TrickyMicky on September 17, 2026, 11:29:43 PM
I didn't realise that design was still available, I had similar on my 1972 750
Title: Re: 400/4 engine bars
Post by: Coppertop1234 on September 18, 2026, 09:22:02 AM
I was lucky enough as Dave had a set he bought in 2017 i think and didn't use them they were still boxed up
Just shows how forum members do help each other out.
Title: Re: 400/4 engine bars
Post by: Laverda Dave on September 18, 2026, 09:49:33 AM
Glad you like them Keith. They do look nice and wrap around the engine well.
Thank you for contributing to my NC30 fund 👍