Honda-SOHC

Other Stuff => Tricks & Tips => Topic started by: Bryanj on September 11, 2026, 12:41:35 PM

Title: Float level for Hondas
Post by: Bryanj on September 11, 2026, 12:41:35 PM
Found this page among my stuff and thought it might be helpfull
Title: Re: Float level for Hondas
Post by: Bryanj on September 11, 2026, 12:45:05 PM
Dont know how i managed two uploads! and it doesnt have our most popular models in the list, hey ho thats life!!
Title: Re: Float level for Hondas
Post by: Oddjob on September 11, 2026, 04:32:15 PM
Goes against what we were taught. What’s this clearance come from between tang and the float needle.
Title: Re: Float level for Hondas
Post by: Bryanj on September 11, 2026, 06:51:36 PM
No idea why they show the clearance Ken, was first page from Common Tools list out of Blue Book, but it does say "New" so perhaps why no 500/550/750 sohc
Title: Re: Float level for Hondas
Post by: Laverda Dave on September 11, 2026, 08:08:53 PM
Thanks for posting Bryan.
I'm confused by the clearance though, I've always measured the float height with the tip of the needle just touching the float tang. The picture shows the carb resting upside down so this would allow the tang to push down on the needle. Where does the clearance come from and what should the clearance measurement actually be?
I know you didn't write the manual and I'm not having a go, I'm just confused about the clearance 🤔
Title: Re: Float level for Hondas
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on September 11, 2026, 10:22:43 PM
I have found that when the float is upside down it's not heavy enough to press down on the needle spring.
Title: Re: Float level for Hondas
Post by: Bryanj on September 11, 2026, 10:40:16 PM
I think its a bad Japanese to Engrish technical translation mate and the clearance is just to say there should be one with needle on seat and float at lowest level