Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB750 => Topic started by: WestMids-CB on September 25, 2026, 06:41:43 AM

Title: Aftermarket mudguards, are they hit and miss and should I....
Post by: WestMids-CB on September 25, 2026, 06:41:43 AM
Just get the ones on my K5 rechromed? I recently purchased a front mudguard from The Classic Bike shop in Redditch in a word the guard seemed decent quality but the front stays were about an inch too short of the mounting holes so back it went.

On the bay there are 2 sellers, one Indian and the other Thai or Vietnamese, both have similar looking items and labelled for a k2 to k6 but at different prices, will it be a regret buying these regarding fit and finish or should I cut my losses and get my original items rechromed and save myself the hassle?
Title: Re: Aftermarket mudguards, are they hit and miss and should I....
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on September 25, 2026, 07:11:59 AM
I fitted the DS ones to my 400/5 and 500K1.
The 400 was a great fit, the 500 was fiddly as it has different sized eyes on the end of the stays so a rubber eye is used. Not cheap but they fit.

Iirc the 500 one is for one of  the 750 models. Re-chroming is ideal but eye wateringly expensive.
Title: Re: Aftermarket mudguards, are they hit and miss and should I....
Post by: WestMids-CB on September 25, 2026, 07:15:02 AM
I'm guessing David Silver will use one of the manufacturers from the countries I've mentioned, if so, I'm wondering which one is the better option?
Title: Re: Aftermarket mudguards, are they hit and miss and should I....
Post by: Skoti on September 25, 2026, 07:16:38 AM
Bought a genuine Honda front mudguard  for my F1 about 5 years ago, made in Thailand.
Fitted OK apart from the wire loop for the speedo cable being welded too far along the mudguard stay, cured that by fitting a longer Xl500 cable.

The mudguard stays had not been properly finished before chroming was done, rough with grinder marks.

Cost about 120 euros from a Honda dealer in Germany.



Edit
Couldn't believe the price they are now, so I checked my receipt and it was actually 2016 I bought the mudguard from Motorrad Drescher in Grundau.
Title: Re: Aftermarket mudguards, are they hit and miss and should I....
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on September 25, 2026, 07:33:06 AM
If you buy from abroad returns might be difficult.
With DS if it does not fit you can return for a refund.

The ones from Vietnam look okay, it's a gamble I guess.
Title: Re: Aftermarket mudguards, are they hit and miss and should I....
Post by: Laverda Dave on September 25, 2026, 04:08:11 PM
Before committing money to a far flug island that may not offer the best quality and making returns difficult get a quote to get your original guard re chrome plated first. Yes it going to potentially expensive and likely cost more than a repro BUT......you know it fits, you know it's original metal (thicker than repro) and you won't have to return it if it doesn't fit.
I bought a rear seat cowl for my RE from India. The chrome was great but the finish of the metal below the chrome was really lumpy in places where it had been welded and not ground down. I had to elongate the two side mounting holes as well to allow it to fit.
Title: Re: Aftermarket mudguards, are they hit and miss and should I....
Post by: WestMids-CB on September 25, 2026, 04:24:59 PM
I think that's the route I'm going as I've been given a quote for rechroming and it's a lot better than I expected.
Title: Re: Aftermarket mudguards, are they hit and miss and should I....
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on September 25, 2026, 08:00:28 PM
There is re-chroming and then there is quality re-chroming.

A few years ago we had a  wire type chromed  coner basket in our bathroom from Dunelm, it cost about £15.00
After a couple of years it had rusted quite badly on the underside
As there were two screw holes in the tiles I tried to buy one that would fit the holes.
In the end I had it re-chroming by Derby Platers, it cost about £45 in 2016. I gulped a bit when I collected & paid.

I was told how they plate it with a thick layer of Copper first etc etc  iirc they said it was the polishing that was   labour intensive. It's still rust free after 10 years in the wettest room in the house.
Title: Re: Aftermarket mudguards, are they hit and miss and should I....
Post by: WestMids-CB on September 25, 2026, 08:11:15 PM
It's a company I've used before when I built a couple of choppers back in the early 2000s, they were in magazines ad on display at the nec at one of the custom shows, the chrome is still good all these years later.
Title: Re: Aftermarket mudguards, are they hit and miss and should I....
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on September 25, 2026, 08:29:33 PM
They re-chromed my 400 chain guard in 2021 I think it was, cost more than a new one from DS at the time.
Back then it was almost a three month turn round, the car park looks empty these days.
Title: Re: Aftermarket mudguards, are they hit and miss and should I....
Post by: badger_eng on September 25, 2026, 09:14:01 PM
I’ve used a company called Silchrome in Leeds many times. You can email in a picture(s) of the items you want chroming, put a ruler scale / tape measure next to the item for dimensional reference and they can quote based on the pics.

You can post or drop off your items and they will also post (at a cost obviously) back to you if you are not too local.

I’d been using Agbriggs in Leeds as they are / were one of the very few companies to re-chrome two stroke exhausts. They lift your leg accordingly as finding a chromer that wants his precious chemicals contaminating are few and far between.
Anyway, I later found Silchrome and although they won’t / don’t do two stroke exhausts, their chroming prices were probably 20% cheaper than Agbriggs and the quality was excellent.



Title: Re: Aftermarket mudguards, are they hit and miss and should I....
Post by: WestMids-CB on September 26, 2026, 06:36:23 PM
I’ve used a company called Silchrome in Leeds many times. You can email in a picture(s) of the items you want chroming, put a ruler scale / tape measure next to the item for dimensional reference and they can quote based on the pics.

You can post or drop off your items and they will also post (at a cost obviously) back to you if you are not too local.

I’d been using Agbriggs in Leeds as they are / were one of the very few companies to re-chrome two stroke exhausts. They lift your leg accordingly as finding a chromer that wants his precious chemicals contaminating are few and far between.
Anyway, I later found Silchrome and although they won’t / don’t do two stroke exhausts, their chroming prices were probably 20% cheaper than Agbriggs and the quality was excellent.

I'm already sorted for a chromer.
Title: Re: Aftermarket mudguards, are they hit and miss and should I....
Post by: badger_eng on September 26, 2026, 07:47:48 PM
Superb 💪