Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB500/550 => Topic started by: bbrian66 on October 11, 2026, 07:04:56 PM

Title: Carb mounting frame shaft
Post by: bbrian66 on October 11, 2026, 07:04:56 PM
I stripped the throttle bracket mechanism down that's mounted on the large aluminium frame to clean and de-rust it. It's all gone back together fine,  except I cannot see what locates the main shaft that everything sits on. Before stripping  the end float was maybe 1mm - is now a good 8mm and is enough to let everything get out of alignment.
I see the shaft has a large groove in it exactly where it passes through one of the arms on the frame. Does anyone know if it is supposed to be pinned here in some way?
Title: Re: Carb mounting frame shaft
Post by: Oddjob on October 11, 2026, 07:36:21 PM
Did you drill out the retaining pin, on the left bracket?.

If so you need to manufacture something to replace it. Most of us tap that point and fit a special pin in its location that is thin enough to fit the groove in the rod without binding. There is a special name for the pin but it escapes me right now.
Title: Re: Carb mounting frame shaft
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on October 11, 2026, 07:52:29 PM
When I dismantled my original  throttle shaft on my 500 it had been removed before. Whoever drilled out the original guide pin also broke the bronze type bush breaking it in half.

Ken kindly offered me a restored ceramic coated  bracket.
I can't remember if the original hole was threaded or if I threaded it.
I found some threaded pins online that I fitted, a bit of work with file to get the tip to fit the groove.
Too tight and the shaft will not rotate, too loose and it fails to keep the shaft in position.
It's a shame new bushes aren't available, new shafts in SS are sometimes available from Max.
My laptop crashed a couple of weeks ago, I've lost most of my email addresses.
Title: Re: Carb mounting frame shaft
Post by: Oddjob on October 11, 2026, 08:18:02 PM
It was threaded Ted.

I have some spare S/S shafts if anyone wants one. I also have a few of the special pins needed to replace the drilled out rivet. I put mine in an electric drill, rotate it whilst holding a file against it until it’s thin enough to go inside the shafts groove.
Title: Re: Carb mounting frame shaft
Post by: bbrian66 on October 11, 2026, 08:42:02 PM
Many thanks both. This all makes sense. I must have broken off the pin when I tapped out the shaft. The bush looks to be OK.
Does the original pin just tap out or does it need drilling?
Title: Re: Carb mounting frame shaft
Post by: Oddjob on October 11, 2026, 11:36:25 PM
Check the bronze bush. If you didn’t drill out the original rivet there is a chance the bush may have broken. I’d drill out the remainer, just in case.