Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB500/550 => Topic started by: MickP on February 08, 2011, 09:17:58 PM

Title: New Handlebars
Post by: MickP on February 08, 2011, 09:17:58 PM
Hopefully this hasn't been covered ad nauseum, I try to look at other postings before starting a new topic..

Anyway, my lovely 1979 550F and I had a confrontation with a recovery truck today, and we came out slightly worse for wear, although I was pretty amazed at what little damage was actually done. It was right at the end of a 180 mile round trip from London down to Hastings and through Brighton back up to the smoke. I got caught out by the 5:30 rush in Brixton. (I'm used to New Zealand roads)

I do have a fairly badly bent set of bars though, and I've scoured ebay and David Slver etc but without any luck. Does anyone have any idea where I might be able to pick up a new set. Would it be possible to bend these back into shape? I know it's hard to tell without seeing a photo but the left bar is bent about 35 degrees back towards the seat. I just wonder if it'd be possible to straighten it out. Anyone ever tried this??

Title: Re: New Handlebars
Post by: hector2800 on February 08, 2011, 10:25:01 PM
Not safe as far as I'm concerned any bending could potentially weaken them and that could be fatal to them and possibly to you. Don't want to sound dramatic but thats how I see it.
Title: Re: New Handlebars
Post by: MickP on February 08, 2011, 11:03:20 PM
That's what I was thinking, anyone got an idea where I can find somenew ones?Doesn't look like they're made anywhere.
Title: Re: New Handlebars
Post by: Bryanj on February 09, 2011, 04:51:04 AM
www.cmsnl.com (http://www.cmsnl.com)
www.westernhillshonda.net (http://www.westernhillshonda.net)

for two, other wise any bike shop for pattern ones especialy if the switch wires go outside the bars which i think yours are if its a 77 K model registered late, didn't think any 550 made after 78 (except the cbx nightmare)
Title: Re: New Handlebars
Post by: MickP on February 09, 2011, 10:52:29 AM
It must be 1978 as it was registered in Jan' '79. My switch wires travel inside the bars and I'd kind of like to keep them that way. Would it be possible to drill the bars to feed wires through?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190491818648&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190491818648&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT)

Am I right in thinking that these would be a match? AND are cb400 bars compatible?
Title: Re: New Handlebars
Post by: Bryanj on February 10, 2011, 06:47:49 AM
Drilling normal bars is not advisable as Honda ones were strengthened to suit also that link is alloy bars which are even weaker.

To the best of my memory there were no 550's imported to the UK by Honda after 77 BUT a lot sat in crates and were registered late. UK rules list year as the year it was first registered so it can be confusing.

If you can post some picture it will help to ID the model especially tops of carbs and fuel tank, also exhaust if its original
Title: Re: New Handlebars
Post by: Yoshi823 on February 16, 2011, 10:26:02 PM
CB550F handlebars had the wiring running through them via a hole by the switchgear, running to another hole in the bars that exited between the bar clamps then into the small plastic box where the ignition switch used to be located on the 500F. The wiring on the CB550K3 bars ran outside of the bars into the back of a deeper headlight shell.
Title: Re: New Handlebars
Post by: MickP on March 08, 2011, 05:04:44 PM
Hey!

I'm still looking for new bars, I wonder if anyone has measurements for what the stock cb550 bars were. I've measured mine and can't seem to find anything with a similar rise.

All I've found is these

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CB750-CB550-CB360-KZ650-XV750-CX-SuperBike-Handlebars-/380317979931?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item588cb7d51b (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CB750-CB550-CB360-KZ650-XV750-CX-SuperBike-Handlebars-/380317979931?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item588cb7d51b)

If anyone has any ideas I'd be very gratefull

Ta
Title: Re: New Handlebars
Post by: SteveD CB500K0 on March 08, 2011, 05:46:50 PM
How about these  (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330537684321&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT)on eBay. 500/4 but should fit.
Title: Re: New Handlebars
Post by: MickP on March 26, 2011, 10:11:46 PM
Done, now I just gotta get them on... Better work on my soldering.