Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB500/550 => Topic started by: popwud on February 16, 2011, 06:33:08 PM

Title: Gasket sets?
Post by: popwud on February 16, 2011, 06:33:08 PM
For the 500/4 are the full gasket sets good enough or would I need some 'liquid gasket'.

The bores,sleeves, 2 are damaged, 1 scored and the other has a damaged base, do they knock out or something.
Title: Re: Gasket sets?
Post by: matthewmosse on February 16, 2011, 06:59:21 PM
Silvers pattern gasket set's are fine, gasket goo is usefull to have around - sealing crankcase halfs as there is no gaskett I use a very thin smear 'just in case' but really very thin smear as any excess may end up inside where it can gum things up or get in an oil gallery. Steer well clear of any oil galleries as a blocked one will trash an engine whereas a leak is unlikely and easy / cheap to fix in comparison as you'll at least have all the bits needed, with a blocked oilway the dammage will inevitably put an engine past the point where replacement would be better.
Title: Re: Gasket sets?
Post by: Yoshi823 on February 16, 2011, 07:06:20 PM
I use a thin smear of blue Hylomar on jointing faces. I have had far too may engines apart & found orange 'Instant Gasket' floating around.

If you have a damaged set of barrels, it might be best to have them rebored & new pistons/rings/gudgeon pins installed than try & use it as it is. A reasonable second hand set of 500 barrels might be just as bad as the ones that you have. Sleeves can be pressed out by an experienced engineering company, but you might need to have a custom made sleeve machined up for you as they're not sold seperately.
Title: Re: Gasket sets?
Post by: Bryanj on February 17, 2011, 06:19:32 AM
Even Blue Hylomar is a NO NO on the base and head gaskets of the 500/550
Title: Re: Gasket sets?
Post by: UKROBK7 on February 17, 2011, 08:11:53 AM
CycleX recommend using Gasgacinch gasket sealant with their gasket sets for the 750, this includes their head gasket although I have never used anything on head gaskets on other (car & bike) engines I have rebuilt. 

rob
Title: Re: Gasket sets?
Post by: popwud on February 21, 2011, 11:32:49 PM
Afew more things I didnt know, thanks.