Honda-SOHC

Other Stuff => Misc / Open => Topic started by: MIKE550/4 on April 07, 2011, 10:26:51 AM

Title: motorbike insurance
Post by: MIKE550/4 on April 07, 2011, 10:26:51 AM
can you guys recommend insurance company to insure a 125 for myself

i have found myself a cracking little bike , tax and mot just need insurance

also i know you cant ride on motorways but are a roads ok to ride on

bike is getting picked up from nottingham and going to northants about 50 miles
Title: Re: motorbike insurance
Post by: mick on April 07, 2011, 11:29:32 AM
If you have passed your test you should be able to ride a 125 on the motorway? unless the laws have changed? cheers Mick.
Title: Re: motorbike insurance
Post by: meerkat on April 07, 2011, 12:03:58 PM
There's no legal reason not to use motorways with a 125cc machine. I've seen 125cc scooters of all makes using the M6. I'd be a bit hesitant myself though, being passed by heavy goods and other users who may not not be prepared for a bike moving much slower than they are.
Have you tried Carole Nash for insurance ? You may get a good deal off them at Stafford Classic Bike Show next week, which is not too far from you. :)
Title: Re: motorbike insurance
Post by: matthewmosse on April 07, 2011, 12:55:21 PM
I use Lynbrooke for insurance as Carol Nash were funny about an engine transplant on my bmw and Bennetts are the Worst bunch of ***** insureres me or the wife ever encountered and I'd avoid them at all costs.
With Lynbrooke I have 5 bikes, and 3 riders (dad, me and my wife). Total cost including breakdown which I don't need but it's standard and buy back salvage on write offs which is the real reason I went their way. When I bought the rebel 125 I added it and my dad at the same time and it cost me nothing for the ammendment and only
Title: Re: motorbike insurance
Post by: MIKE550/4 on April 07, 2011, 01:01:13 PM
should have mentioned not got my full bike licence yet ( i have tried  :D )

so will L plated , i know you cant use the motorways but unsure of a roads

not seeing my instructor for a couple of weeks and thought i would ask you knowledgeable guys
Title: Re: motorbike insurance
Post by: pauliexjr on April 07, 2011, 01:09:21 PM
No, you can't use motorways, but there's no problem with A roads, if you had to stick to B roads, side streets and country lanes you'd never get anywhere! :D
Title: Re: motorbike insurance
Post by: MIKE550/4 on April 07, 2011, 01:26:32 PM
i personally think a roads are more dangerous

a14 round my end cramped and congested
Title: Re: motorbike insurance
Post by: totty on April 07, 2011, 01:44:24 PM
They can be, the A19 here has much faster traffic than many motorways. I've ridden it on a 125 monkeybike, joining on uphill sections made me very uncomfortable as I couldn't get up to speed quickly enough.
I use ebike for insurance.
Title: Re: motorbike insurance
Post by: SteveD CB500K0 on April 07, 2011, 01:49:17 PM
Back to the question.

Try Carole Nash first.
I pay
Title: Re: motorbike insurance
Post by: Yoshi823 on April 07, 2011, 10:57:03 PM
If the 125 is a classic bike then the likes of Carole Nash is someone who a lot of people turn to.
On my '90 Exup1000 it costs me
Title: Re: motorbike insurance
Post by: K2-K6 on April 08, 2011, 05:15:51 PM
Just a small piece of relevant advice, make sure you're happy with oil level tyre pressure and things like chain adjustment + lube before you set off on it, there are many horror stories of picking things up and expecting them to do a journey safely with no knowledge of the sellers ability.

Enjoy yourself and on a serious note expect to ride on major A roads at near the speed limit if other traffic is doing that as you will experience less interactions from others overtaking you, many will not give you much room so be careful.
Title: Re: motorbike insurance
Post by: basketcase on April 11, 2011, 11:18:11 AM
Hi, I use Peter Best Insurance to cover my `77 K3 and `65 Matchless G2CSR,