Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB500/550 => Topic started by: basketcase on April 15, 2011, 05:29:23 PM

Title: Which fork oil to use.
Post by: basketcase on April 15, 2011, 05:29:23 PM
Can anyone shed some light on which grade of fork oil to use in my K3, and how much? At the moment they are a bit soft with too much `give`. I`ve not touched them...ever so I`m assuming that they are due an oil change.
Cheers basketcase.
Title: Re: Which fork oil to use.
Post by: Spitfire on April 15, 2011, 07:56:19 PM
There may be some info here as I know nowt about 550's !
http://www.sohc4.net/index.php/cb550/cb550-tech-guide (http://www.sohc4.net/index.php/cb550/cb550-tech-guide)
Or have a look at the manual here http://www.honda4fun.com/man_officina/man_officina.html (http://www.honda4fun.com/man_officina/man_officina.html)


Cheers

Den
Title: Re: Which fork oil to use.
Post by: basketcase on April 15, 2011, 08:14:25 PM
Wow!!!! Lots of reading here. Thanks Den, will read through some and try a fix this weekend.
Title: Re: Which fork oil to use.
Post by: Spitfire on April 16, 2011, 08:27:01 AM
You are very welcome, it was interesting as I have a pile of service sheets issued by Shell in the 70's and thought I had one for the CB550 but it was a 400/500 sheet, still interesting to look at though.
(http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z244/DennisMcc/Bikes/CB400andCB500.jpg)

Cheers

Den
Title: Re: Which fork oil to use.
Post by: HondaFour on April 16, 2011, 10:38:36 PM
Hi, I use ATF or AQF in both the K3 and K0 and it gives a good combination of damping and feedback. The 550's I have are never thrashed so I dont need the kind of handling of an R1
Title: Re: Which fork oil to use.
Post by: basketcase on April 17, 2011, 10:27:46 AM
Hi Honda four,
ATF? Automatic transmission fluid? Do you use the same ammount as per the original?
Cheers Nigel.
Title: Re: Which fork oil to use.
Post by: HondaFour on April 17, 2011, 01:41:28 PM
Hi Nigel

The post by Spitfire shows the capacity as 160cc which in my Clymer manual says should be 10W30 for the CB550K0,K1,K2 but the K3 forks were revised and I think that for them it should 190cc and ATF.

I have used ATF in all my bikes which gives a ride that suits me , however you may want to go for medium grade fork oil of a good make to firm up your forks - you mention that it has too much give. Wemoto is a good bet for well priced fork oil and low postage. ATF is kind to seals and cheap, it seems to have disappeared from my car shop and replaced by AQF which they say is the same - anyone else have any ideas if it is the same as id love to know for sure as I am just about to fill my 750 DOHC forks with it.

Here's a pic of my K3

Kind regards

Hubert