Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB750 => Topic started by: HondaFour on April 25, 2011, 10:09:25 AM

Title: Pictures of my K4
Post by: HondaFour on April 25, 2011, 10:09:25 AM
here she is out in the light.. some jobs still to do - clutch cable re routing etc.....BTW the badges are K2 as I like them better other than that she is faithfully as from the factory in flake sunrise orange......Hubert

(http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t73/mongrel_photos/DSCN0077.jpg)
(http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t73/mongrel_photos/DSCN0078.jpg)
(http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t73/mongrel_photos/DSCN0088.jpg)
(http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t73/mongrel_photos/DSCN0087.jpg)
(http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t73/mongrel_photos/DSCN0086.jpg)
(http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t73/mongrel_photos/DSCN0084.jpg)
Title: Re: Pictures of my K4
Post by: Spitfire on April 25, 2011, 10:32:18 AM
Looking good, a really nice looking bike, I wouldn't worry about the badges as long as you are happy with them, my F1 has an F2 tank and seat because I prefer the look of them.

Cheers

Den
Title: Re: Pictures of my K4
Post by: HondaFour on April 25, 2011, 07:24:55 PM
I do have the right ones but they are a bit chunkier. I always liked the look of the F2, I can see why you went for the tank and seat. A long while ago Silvers were actually selling body kits for the F2 at knock down prices. Things are so much more expensive now, a bit of a put off for restoring another CB SOHC.

Cheers, Hubert
Title: Re: Pictures of my K4
Post by: Spitfire on April 25, 2011, 08:05:21 PM
I bought the F2 tank and seat in 1986 after the original F1 tank (red) developed a leak, they were advertised in MCN and if I remember correctly this was the fledgling David Silver outfit that I bought them from.

Cheers

Den
Title: Re: Pictures of my K4
Post by: K2-K6 on April 25, 2011, 08:19:12 PM
That looks really neat Hubert, a very nice job and something anyone would be proud to ride out on.

After Pete's rabbit mechanic you seem to have a very curious sheep looking on! don't leave the keys lying around.
Title: Re: Pictures of my K4
Post by: Rozabikes Tim on April 25, 2011, 09:42:20 PM
Do you need keys to start a sheep?

Seriously though fantastic work on that bike WOW!
Title: Re: Pictures of my K4
Post by: HondaFour on April 25, 2011, 09:52:37 PM
Den, I remember that ad and similar in MCN it was from the time when Silvers had a big sheet printed on both sides with all their stock on - and the prices were peanuts compared to now. Great that you have had your F1 for all those years, the longest owned bike I have is my CB550K3 which is 23 years.

Re the sheep, K2-K6 and rozabikes, that ewe like many others has lambs in the field and they love nibbling anything rubber just like the geese who also share the space so I always roll my bikes straight into the shed to avoid mishaps. With that and the cowpats life gets a little tricky, its a b*ll ache getting baked on poo off the oil filter housing, I am a master of the well timed swerve around the poo! When I get some time i'll be building a fence around the standing area which will sort it.

Cheers for the kind words, Hubert
Title: Re: Pictures of my K4
Post by: florence on April 26, 2011, 09:03:43 AM
I have to admire your work.  Stunning.
Title: Re: Pictures of my K4
Post by: Hinomaru on April 26, 2011, 03:30:06 PM
Very nicely done and I like the attention to detail.  ;D
Title: Re: Pictures of my K4
Post by: AshimotoK0 on April 26, 2011, 06:20:42 PM
Spot on restoration !!!  you should be very proud !!

Oh for those days and prices of 1986 from David Silver !! Its amazing how many of us bought from him from those MCN adverts?
Also about that time, for some strange reason Honda, slashed the prices on their exhaust systems, the 400/4 coming down to about 100GBP complete.

Cheers

AshD
Title: Re: Pictures of my K4
Post by: pauliexjr on April 27, 2011, 08:39:12 AM
Hubert your bike is a thing of beauty and exactly the reason I fell in love with the CB750 many, many years ago, cracking job!
Title: Re: Pictures of my K4
Post by: BigAl (Alan) on April 27, 2011, 07:57:12 PM
Hi Herbert,

Very nice job on the K4, I also have one same year & colour.
Are you OK with the clock facias green (K6) instead of blue?

Regards

Alan
Title: Re: Pictures of my K4
Post by: UK Pete on April 27, 2011, 08:43:23 PM
That bike is stunning well done honda four you must be well proud
Pete
Title: Re: Pictures of my K4
Post by: HondaFour on April 27, 2011, 08:48:10 PM
Folks its great to be in the company of people who love the single cams just as I do. Apart from the modern bikes like the VFR800Fi there's a certain charisma about these bikes which is hard to beat. In the past I restored a CBX Six but it just did not float my boat like the Honda 4's and work on it was a nightmare so I sold it. Hope you are all enjoying the good weather , its great for biking although due to committments I have not been out.

Alan, the clocks are NOS originals with the correct part numbers, they fade from bluey green to light blue after exposure to sunlight. Great to hear you have one the same. I like the psychedelic flake orange which harks back to the heady days of the seventies!
Title: Re: Pictures of my K4
Post by: BigAl (Alan) on April 27, 2011, 10:12:47 PM
The clocks do fade over time, I see you have a K5 tank, left hand fuel tap. The K0 to 4 is on the right hand side, which is a pain when you take your hand off the throttle to switch to reserve. Brown's and orange where certainly the colours of the  70s

Alan
Title: Re: Pictures of my K4
Post by: HondaFour on April 28, 2011, 12:03:58 PM
Sorry Alan, wrong again. My tank has its tap on the right hand side, its not visible as its not fitted!
Title: Re: Pictures of my K4
Post by: BigAl (Alan) on April 28, 2011, 03:13:27 PM
Well that would make sense...just a thought Re:page 66 of the 'Hayes series Great bikes' Honda CB750 by Mick Duckworth, lots of colour photographs, clock details K4 are definitely blue! as are the K5 clocks on page 69 and K3 clocks on page 152.
Herbert...Blue clocks become faded blue & Green clocks (K6 UK type) become faded Green

Alan
Title: Re: Pictures of my K4
Post by: HondaFour on April 28, 2011, 08:25:57 PM
Alan, At the expense of this becoming "that's the wrong washer thread" the UK K6 clocks were billiard table green, they also had the trip mech coming out at right angles at the left of the instrument. My clocks are for the K3/K4/K5 and if you check with an instrument restorer they do fade to light blue depending on how much sunlight they have had. The trip is also standard American spec being at the back of the clock. The K4/K5 were slightly different to each other in the graduations between the 20/20/40 etc but the same aquamarine bue/green

At the end of the day, I'm chuffed with it and that's all that matters. If I was entering it into a VJMC show for silverware, I would take notice but I appreciate your comments....there's no point in trying for a faithfull restoration and then having a gaffe with a major item being not right.. I am glad there's another CB750K4 like mine on this forum, maybe you could post some pics.... Cheers, Hubert
Title: Re: Pictures of my K4
Post by: BigAl (Alan) on April 29, 2011, 01:05:24 PM
Thank's for the reply Herbert, I have tried to upload a photo but its too large, PM with you email address and I am more than happy to send you a photograph of the bike

Have a good week end

Alan
Title: Re: Pictures of my K4
Post by: 62tt on May 19, 2011, 03:02:29 PM
I was having a clear-out of some paperwork last week and came across an original David Silver MCN advert from June 29th 1994........................

K0 loom
Title: Re: Pictures of my K4
Post by: AshimotoK0 on May 19, 2011, 05:53:08 PM
I was having a clear-out of some paperwork last week and came across an original David Silver MCN advert from June 29th 1994........................

K0 loom
Title: Re: Pictures of my K4
Post by: 62tt on May 19, 2011, 06:22:21 PM

Wasn't that 1986 for his first advert?  - interestingly in late 2008 I paid 525GBP inc. VAT which was 15% I think for a set of HM300 K0 exhausts from DSS - so not a great hike on