Honda-SOHC

General => New Member Introductions => Topic started by: murphytowers on June 24, 2011, 11:54:28 AM

Title: Greetings
Post by: murphytowers on June 24, 2011, 11:54:28 AM
Hello people, have a virtual sherry on me ;)

eventually completed the house move and the business premises move and now life is as normal as I am likely to achieve I can start back on the toy.
Bought  a 400/4 to show my son what air cooled engines are and threads and taps and dies do.Also cos I wanted one when I was a kid, along with Vmaxes.
Plan is to get it back on the road shortly then tinker over winter.Have also acquired a rolling chassis and spare frame so mates refer to it as the 1200/12.photos to follow soon!
Title: Re: Greetings
Post by: UK Pete on June 24, 2011, 03:15:00 PM
Hi welcome to the site, lookforward to seeing the photo's, also the 950 sm sounds like a good bike, if ktm's were not so expensive i probably would buy one myself
Pete
Title: Re: Greetings
Post by: murphytowers on July 01, 2011, 10:38:15 PM
pictures as promised ;D
as bought, looked ok at first(from a distance), rode for a few weeks and showed up a list of things I need to do and some I just want to do.


(http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s7/murphytowers/four%20hundred%20four/july08apr09002.jpg)


 soon after acquired a load of spares, including a rolling chassis, spare frame , wire wheels, 2 x tanks, (1 x usable),spare forks, fibreglass rear guard, drilled disc, Raask brackets(no rearsets though) and cue trumpets....... 2 x box section swing arms , allegedly Dresda!


](http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s7/murphytowers/four%20hundred%20four/P4210002.jpg).

life then happened and various things I wont bore you with occurred. Bike was neglected for a year then things start to happen,did some work for an upholsterer who paid me in kind by working on the spare seat.

(http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s7/murphytowers/four%20hundred%20four/P4210003.jpg)


to this
(http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s7/murphytowers/four%20hundred%20four/saddle001.jpg)


unfortunately I was ignorant of the fact that the fixings on the base were corroded so that's my job for tomorrow.
The chrome on the wire wheels i bought was poor so I had them powder coated, future funds will determine what I do here.New tyres replaced the old cracked rubber , cut down and fitted the rear fibreglass mudguard, made a stainless steel number plate holder and fitted an LED tail light. A real engineer friend  made some spacers and we fitted the box section swing arm 

(http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s7/murphytowers/four%20hundred%20four/400four003.jpg)

and fitted some Hagon shocks

(http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s7/murphytowers/four%20hundred%20four/400four002.jpg).


This work has been carried out in fits and start over a year, as time, family,business and money allowed. I had a load of R1 spares which I sold on ebay and has financed my garage therapy.
Changed the fork oil tonight, replacing the sludge with new stuff and discovering the wrong springs and 2 large nuts as spacers in the forks. oh well, I had plans for them anyway, one more for the list.
Fitted a decent sized chrome headlamp shell and added wiring upgrade to my ever increasing list.


(http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s7/murphytowers/four%20hundred%20four/400four005.jpg).


I've sourced a set of Raask rearsets for a Kawasaki cheap on ebay, I'll have to figure out a rear brake adaptation.
Meanwhile when the sun shines I play on this.


(http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s7/murphytowers/four%20hundred%20four/400four006.jpg)

More to follow .......  don't hold your breath!