Honda-SOHC
General => New Member Introductions => Topic started by: Captain Snakebite on July 05, 2011, 07:15:31 PM
-
Evening all - just a quick pop-in to say Hi.
So - erm... - Hi!
Am currently in the process of acquiring the makings of (what I hope will be) a nice little project (400f2 motor in a 550k rolling chassis if all goes according to plan).
I'm a desk-jockey by day but am pretty comfortable around spanners and oily things that go BRUMMM.
My mystical super-power is the ability to ask really stupid questions, so apologies in advance folks! :)
-
hi captain, welcome to the forum, interesting project, i am not sure its possible to fit a 400 engine to a 550 frame but i am sure someone on here will know for sure!! regards,Mick
-
Cheers Mick
Am hoping it'll be mostly a case of a 550K front mount and some rummaging through tons of bolts to find the right sizes - if nowt else, it'll keep me busy for a while. :-D
Owen
-
Welcome
The 550 rolling chassis is heavier than the 400. Why do it, won't it be very underpowered?
-
37bhp vs 50bhp.
You'd lose the agility of the 400 by using the larger rolling chassis.
Still, as they say, you can fit anything to anything with a bit of fabrication!
-
I think you are into lots of special spacers and bolts to do that, easier to fit any 500/550 engine
-
Welcome
The 550 rolling chassis is heavier than the 400. Why do it, won't it be very underpowered?
I'd thought about that, but there's only about 14kg in it - according to wikipedia anyway - and I was planning on a bit of a lightening exercise anyway, with a nod to cafe styling and keeping unnecessary bits to a minimum. I reckon that as I'm only 10 1/2 stones dripping wet anyway, 37 gee-gees should be plenty enough to play with.
-
Thats 37 very old and tired japanese Gee Gees, and at the crank! so it'l be a fair bit less now
-
Thats 37 very old and tired japanese Gee Gees, and at the crank! so it'l be a fair bit less now
True, but I'm pretty worn out myself these days. ;)
Anyway, the tape measure's been depressing the daylights out of me lately and no matter how many times I measure things, the lump won't fit without some pretty severe frame butchery. It's a nice solid frame and I don't want to take cutters to it, so am admitting defeat and shopping for a 400 frame. Luckily I know a chap who might have a spare stashed somewhere.
Fingers crossed... ;D
-
I guess most people trying to shoe-horn a bigger motor into a small frame is more conventional.
You could try and squeeze it into something newer for a hybrid.