Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB750 => Topic started by: bobthebuilder on July 25, 2011, 01:35:42 PM

Title: cluth rebuild
Post by: bobthebuilder on July 25, 2011, 01:35:42 PM
Ok Guys,

Who's going to tell me how to rebuild my clutch on the cb 750, nearly round the bend so many variations and so far so many others have had same problems, and how can you spot the beveled edge.

cheers Jock  ???
Title: Re: cluth rebuild
Post by: bobthebuilder on July 25, 2011, 01:37:49 PM
ok who noticed deliberate error CLUTCH  You can tell how nuts its got me.
Cheers Jock.
Title: Re: cluth rebuild
Post by: Graeme77 on July 25, 2011, 09:12:00 PM
I just re-did mine, was my first go though so not sure how helpfull this will be.

The metal plates you can tell are stamped. They apparantly should all be the same way round. Rough side facing the pressure plate apparantly but i dont see why that matters.

Friction plates i couldnt tell so they just went in anyhow.

I also drilled a couple more holes in the clutch center to let more oil through.

Spiral grooves need to go in right. Clutch turns clockwise so grooves go this way \.

I also re-newed the o ring behind the bearing plate behind the shift mech on the other side of the engine. You'll need an impact driver to get it off.

Check your clutch center, the metal plates had made small grooves in the clutch center, i filed them a little, not to completely get rid of them, just too smooth them out a bit. I think the metal plates can hang up on the edges of these grooves.
Fitted new springs and thrust bearing as i had them to hand.

My clutch now feels lovely and the gearchange is great.

I did have trouble getting it into neutral when running but not any more. Its super easy. I dont see how the gear change could be any better now :)

Done plenty of car clutches, but no bikes. It was very easy, nothing to be worried about.
Title: Re: cluth rebuild
Post by: K2-K6 on July 25, 2011, 09:51:13 PM
I've done these plenty of times before but too far away to remember any useful detail to help you now.

Got a official Honda manual for the F2/K7 to hand if you need any specific description from that, just let us know.
Title: Re: cluth rebuild
Post by: bobthebuilder on July 26, 2011, 08:08:38 AM
Thanks Guys,
As you say discovered plates should be same way, 2 days and 4 attempts got it sorted and of course a bit of blue air,  on to next bit.

Cheers Jock.
Title: Re: cluth rebuild
Post by: Spitfire on July 26, 2011, 09:49:00 AM
A bit late now but I remembered this article
http://www.salocal.com/sohc/tech/clutch/cth1.htm (http://www.salocal.com/sohc/tech/clutch/cth1.htm)

Cheers

Den
Title: Re: cluth rebuild
Post by: Paulreade on December 23, 2018, 06:54:13 PM
Hi Graeme 77, interesting topic. I am in the process of stripping my cb750 clutch. I have asked the question about the spiral oil grooves and trigger has let me have this picture which appears ( unless I am looking at this the wrong way) to show the spirals going in this direction /?.
I am totally confused by it all I have to say. I am viewing the clutch from the right side of the bike.

Any chance you can offer me some advice on this ?. I have posted just recently with the full query if that helps on the 750 forum.
Regards
Paul
Title: Re: cluth rebuild
Post by: Nurse Julie on December 23, 2018, 07:19:45 PM
Paul, can you just clarify 'looking from the Right side of the bike' is that when you are sitting on it, or standing in front of it. Maybe nearside or offside would clarify.
Title: Re: cluth rebuild
Post by: Paulreade on December 24, 2018, 06:21:50 PM
Offside / brake pedal side , looking directly into the clutch.
P