Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB500/550 => Topic started by: Wab on August 05, 2011, 06:20:18 PM

Title: Parts compatibility
Post by: Wab on August 05, 2011, 06:20:18 PM
Hi,new to the forum.Really love these Honda's espicially when in cafe racer form.My question is that I have been offered a 1983 cbx550 for next to nothing.How many of the parts from the older cb's will fit the cbx?Example:can I fit forks from a cb550 to it?Brakes?exhausts?Could I convert from monoshock to twin shocks?
Any help would be great.Thanks. :)
Title: Re: Parts compatibility
Post by: Bryanj on August 05, 2011, 11:47:36 PM
Basically nothing fits, the cbx 550 was a one off barsteward bike mate
Title: Re: Parts compatibility
Post by: Wab on August 06, 2011, 06:35:53 PM
Ok great!Look forward to starting that then. ;)
Title: Re: Parts compatibility
Post by: SteveD CB500K0 on August 06, 2011, 06:40:33 PM
While the CBX550 is a great bike in its own right, it is not a SOHC engine and is effectively Honda's "next generation" middleweight. As Bryan says, it never caught on.

I had one that MCN borrowed and ran up against a CBR600RR a while back. They were amazed at the dyno and dragstrip performance.

It is here (http://www.nirvana-motorcycles.com/). Go to Gallery and CBX550FII
Title: Re: Parts compatibility
Post by: Wab on August 06, 2011, 06:44:55 PM
Thanks for that.Is it true then that nothing can be transfered over to the cbx from the earlier bikes?
Title: Re: Parts compatibility
Post by: mick on August 06, 2011, 09:35:32 PM
maybe the tyres?
Title: Re: Parts compatibility
Post by: surplus 6 on October 31, 2011, 10:09:10 PM
just to turn this around a little, will the cbx pistons fiy into a cb as they have a slightly higher dome I believe which would give higher comp???
Title: Re: Parts compatibility
Post by: Bryanj on November 01, 2011, 07:07:21 AM
Don't think so as the dome would hit the head