Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB750 => Topic started by: david451 on December 13, 2011, 12:03:03 PM

Title: Indicators
Post by: david451 on December 13, 2011, 12:03:03 PM
Hi folk my 74 750k series has two bolts that hold the headlamp on, these bolts have holes in them with the wires for the indicators but no indicators. My other one has indicators fitted, larger than these ones but fitted to the holes to the rear of the lamp.

I cant find a photo that can show me how the indicators attach to these bolts, I dont have the indicators which makes it a jigsaw without a picture and I need to purchase two front ones.

Can anybody tell me how they fit on and what's missing please.

Also looking to get some chroming done got a quote for doing the 4 exhausts 600 quid, is that too much or a fair price, I will do all the repair work on the holes so they are just plating and polishing. Have not tried to get the covers off the silencers yet but suspect the screws are all going to snap off.
Title: Re: Indicators
Post by: Spitfire on December 13, 2011, 02:49:45 PM
Have a look here, it should show you everything you need http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cb750-four-k4-usa_model482/partslist/ (http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cb750-four-k4-usa_model482/partslist/)
As to exhausts, most chromers will not touch them as they "poison" their chroming bath, so finding one to do 4 exhausts for
Title: Re: Indicators
Post by: BigAl (Alan) on December 13, 2011, 06:45:14 PM
Which model do you have (American CB750 K4, 1974) or (UK CB750 1974 which would be a K2)?
The indicator stems are longer on the American bike.

Alan
Title: Re: Indicators
Post by: david451 on December 14, 2011, 12:57:11 AM
Which model do you have (American CB750 K4, 1974) or (UK CB750 1974 which would be a K2)?
The indicator stems are longer on the American bike.

Alan

It's an american one Alan.
Title: Re: Indicators
Post by: david451 on December 14, 2011, 01:10:50 AM
Have a look here, it should show you everything you need http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cb750-four-k4-usa_model482/partslist/ (http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cb750-four-k4-usa_model482/partslist/)
As to exhausts, most chromers will not touch them as they "poison" their chroming bath, so finding one to do 4 exhausts for
Title: Re: Indicators
Post by: Bryanj on December 14, 2011, 04:49:03 AM
Can you put up a picture of what you have, it may be even later bits
Title: Re: Indicators
Post by: BigAl (Alan) on December 14, 2011, 11:46:04 AM
Hi David,

I have had a look at my CB and www.cmsnl.com (http://www.cmsnl.com) this morning.

The head light is fixed at the 1st leading holes with chrome nut & bolt...no holes

The indicator stem (see items 20 & 23 on cmsnl file) is simply a chrome shaft with hole in the centre for the indicator cable, fixed to the 2nd hole.
Different part No's left & right...the shaft thread sizes are different, so order the nuts as well

Hope the information helps

Alan
Title: Re: Indicators
Post by: david451 on December 14, 2011, 01:22:17 PM
Hi David,

I have had a look at my CB and www.cmsnl.com (http://www.cmsnl.com) this morning.

The head light is fixed at the 1st leading holes with chrome nut & bolt...no holes

The indicator stem (see items 20 & 23 on cmsnl file) is simply a chrome shaft with hole in the centre for the indicator cable, fixed to the 2nd hole.
Different part No's left & right...the shaft thread sizes are different, so order the nuts as well

Hope the information helps

Alan

Cant get a picture to load its too large, went onto photobucket as somebody mentioned to me but I dont have a clue what you are meant to do, spent two hours and no further forward.

Looked at it again, the headlamp has wires attached to the captive nuts on the inside of the headlamp, the wires that come through the headlamp bolts look like they have been there for years. This must be a modification that somebody has made I'm going to get new headlamp bolts, indicators and alter the wiring how it should be.

I think I am getting better at this, I think. might be an expert in a few years.

Thanks for the help guys.
Title: Re: Indicators
Post by: BigAl (Alan) on December 14, 2011, 01:51:26 PM
The nut with the wires attached is the ground (earth facility)for all the lamps etc within the headlamp
When you assemble the the head light to the brackets you will only need 1 wire to each indicator stem
as the earthing is allready in place.

Colour code
1. Nuts with wires=Grey (ground/earth)
2. RHS indicator=Light blue
3. LHS indicator=Orange

If you PM me I can email a photo  of my bike, it may help with your restoration

Alan
Title: Re: Indicators
Post by: BigAl (Alan) on December 14, 2011, 02:43:16 PM
David,
The earth wire will be green on the K3,4,5 the Grey earth wire applies to the previous models
Are you sure you have a K4 and not a K3? there are lots of changes that where made on the K3 but not carried over to the K4 ie. the front indicators had a 'position' & indicator facility?

Alan
Title: Re: Indicators
Post by: SteveD CB500K0 on December 14, 2011, 04:28:09 PM

Cant get a picture to load its too large, went onto photobucket as somebody mentioned to me but I dont have a clue what you are meant to do, spent two hours and no further forward.


I wrote a FAQ on this for SOHC4.net:  http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=14605.msg93296#msg93296 (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=14605.msg93296#msg93296)
Some of the limits are different but it's basically the same.

Steve
Title: Re: Indicators
Post by: david451 on December 15, 2011, 12:12:05 AM

Cant get a picture to load its too large, went onto photobucket as somebody mentioned to me but I dont have a clue what you are meant to do, spent two hours and no further forward.


I wrote a FAQ on this for SOHC4.net:  http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=14605.msg93296#msg93296 (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=14605.msg93296#msg93296)
Some of the limits are different but it's basically the same.

Steve


Gona print out your thread and play about with it tomorrow.

Had the old girl running tonight after rejoining all the wires I had to cut to get the wires out the bars, all soldered and shrinked.

The indicators wont work,, rear ones dont even light up, I guess it may be because the two front ones are missing, but it has a buzzer that is working but it is a continuous buzz.

My front indicators have two wires for each side.
Title: Re: Indicators
Post by: david451 on December 15, 2011, 12:15:22 AM
David,
The earth wire will be green on the K3,4,5 the Grey earth wire applies to the previous models
Are you sure you have a K4 and not a K3? there are lots of changes that where made on the K3 but not carried over to the K4 ie. the front indicators had a 'position' & indicator facility?

Alan

What's a position and indicator facility, it seems to have a buzzer
Title: Re: Indicators
Post by: Bryanj on December 15, 2011, 07:22:59 AM
You need to check the bulbs in the fronts and see if they have one filament or two as the yanks had orange running lights which are not legal in UK
Title: Re: Indicators
Post by: david451 on December 15, 2011, 08:30:42 AM
You need to check the bulbs in the fronts and see if they have one filament or two as the yanks had orange running lights which are not legal in UK

The front lights are missing but will look at the rear ones, that would explain why the front headlamp has two wires for each indicator.
Title: Re: Indicators
Post by: BigAl (Alan) on December 15, 2011, 08:55:38 AM
Hi David,

If there are 2 wires for each  indicator,front only (RHS colour code light blue&light blue white strip) (LHS colour code orange&orange with white strip) green cable is the earth. As Bryan mentioned the indicator lamps will have a dual element. One element that stayed on 'position' the other element for flashing/indication, American market model. I think you have a K3 model, the wiring diagram is in the Clymer workshop manual but not in the Haynes manual

Alan

PS I think you will need to disconnect the 'position' circuit for the UK
Title: Re: Indicators
Post by: david451 on December 15, 2011, 09:00:34 AM
Hi David,

If there are 2 wires for each  indicator,front only (RHS colour code light blue&light blue white strip) (LHS colour code orange&orange with white strip) green cable is the earth. As Bryan mentioned the indicator lamps will have a dual element. One element that stayed on 'position' the other element for flashing/indication, American market model. I think you have a K3 model, the wiring diagram is in the Clymer workshop manual but not in the Haynes manual

Alan

PS I think you will need to disconnect the 'position' circuit for the UK

Thanks bigal, playing about trying to post pics at the minute with the thread I got. I guess what you mean is just use one of the wires then the indicator one.
Title: Re: Indicators
Post by: david451 on December 15, 2011, 09:09:59 AM

Cant get a picture to load its too large, went onto photobucket as somebody mentioned to me but I dont have a clue what you are meant to do, spent two hours and no further forward.


I wrote a FAQ on this for SOHC4.net:  http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=14605.msg93296#msg93296 (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=14605.msg93296#msg93296)
Some of the limits are different but it's basically the same.

Steve


(http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm459/david451/cb750number1010.jpg)

First go at sending a photo so hope it worked
Title: Re: Indicators
Post by: david451 on December 15, 2011, 09:32:08 AM
Hi David,

If there are 2 wires for each  indicator,front only (RHS colour code light blue&light blue white strip) (LHS colour code orange&orange with white strip) green cable is the earth. As Bryan mentioned the indicator lamps will have a dual element. One element that stayed on 'position' the other element for flashing/indication, American market model. I think you have a K3 model, the wiring diagram is in the Clymer workshop manual but not in the Haynes manual

Alan

PS I think you will need to disconnect the 'position' circuit for the UK(http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm459/david451/1stcb750rebuild2011015.jpg)

(http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm459/david451/1stcb750rebuild2011016.jpg)
(http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm459/david451/1stcb750rebuild2011014-1.jpg)(http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm459/david451/1stcb750rebuild2011011.jpg)






Title: Re: Indicators
Post by: david451 on December 15, 2011, 09:53:24 AM
Hi David,

If there are 2 wires for each  indicator,front only (RHS colour code light blue&light blue white strip) (LHS colour code orange&orange with white strip) green cable is the earth. As Bryan mentioned the indicator lamps will have a dual element. One element that stayed on 'position' the other element for flashing/indication, American market model. I think you have a K3 model, the wiring diagram is in the Clymer workshop manual but not in the Haynes manual

Alan

PS I think you will need to disconnect the 'position' circuit for the UK

(http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm459/david451/cb750number1004.jpg)
(http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm459/david451/cb750number1002-1.jpg)
(http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm459/david451/cb750number1003.jpg)
(http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm459/david451/cb750number1001-1.jpg)

Waiting on the decals for the tank and then its getting painted the orange it should be.
Title: Re: Indicators
Post by: Bryanj on December 15, 2011, 03:25:33 PM
With those brackets the indicator stems should go through the holes behind the shell mounting bolts which should be solid and not have wires through them, not all the indicator heads have colour coded wires you have to check the bulb and find out which wire lights the bright fillament and connect that to the solid orange or blue wire leaving the othe loose along with the white stripped orange and blue in the loom
Title: Re: Indicators
Post by: david451 on December 15, 2011, 09:13:13 PM
With those brackets the indicator stems should go through the holes behind the shell mounting bolts which should be solid and not have wires through them, not all the indicator heads have colour coded wires you have to check the bulb and find out which wire lights the bright fillament and connect that to the solid orange or blue wire leaving the othe loose along with the white stripped orange and blue in the loom

Got a couple of lamps and stalks off DS today should get them tomorrow, he gave me two headlamp bolts as well. Struggling to get a headlamp, the car ones are as rare as the bike ones, I'm thinking that I may be better getting a complete lamp off fleebay and use the glass unit, 24 quid. I tried an assessory shop for one but no luck either. Not given up yet though.
Title: Re: Indicators
Post by: SteveD CB500K0 on December 15, 2011, 10:17:56 PM
Bigger pictures would be good  :)

Try 600px or 800px wide for a start.
Title: Re: Indicators
Post by: david451 on December 16, 2011, 09:34:09 AM
Bigger pictures would be good  :)

Try 600px or 800px wide for a start.

They were all big, too big, I brought them down one size, but today all of them are tiny, did somebody on here do that. Too small now.
Title: Re: Indicators
Post by: SteveD CB500K0 on December 16, 2011, 11:18:26 AM
When you link to a remote hosting site, the picture just appears here exactly as it is there - you can't resize it.

Are you sure you're not linking to the thumbnails?
Title: Re: Indicators
Post by: david451 on December 16, 2011, 03:26:59 PM
When you link to a remote hosting site, the picture just appears here exactly as it is there - you can't resize it.

Are you sure you're not linking to the thumbnails?

For a while they were on here almost a full page, the one showing the headlamp was the first one and it was tiny, I then went for three sizes larger and it was too large I thought, so I went down a size and it was fine.

I'm new at this but I viewed them on here after I posted them and they were fine.
Title: Re: Indicators
Post by: SteveD CB500K0 on December 16, 2011, 05:04:11 PM
I've had a look at your Photobucket site and the images are 120x90 only. If I expand them they are all pixelated.

Photobucket is either resizing them (downwards) or you have uploaded small pictures.
Title: Re: Indicators
Post by: david451 on December 16, 2011, 05:19:15 PM
I've had a look at your Photobucket site and the images are 120x90 only. If I expand them they are all pixelated.

Photobucket is either resizing them (downwards) or you have uploaded small pictures.

Photobucket has done something if I try to resize them they become pixelated as well, looks like I have to do new photos but need to find out how they became so small and wont resize now on photbucket. They were ok for a few hours on here as well.