Honda-SOHC
SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB350/400 => Topic started by: sanders on January 15, 2012, 10:04:50 AM
-
hi all, apart from the v.i.n. plate on the front downtube, are there any other identifying numbers stamped on the frame and if so where are they. cheers. Paul
-
Hi paul,
Nope!
I've stripped my bike down to the last nut and bolt, sandblasted and powdercoated my frame and all I ever found was the number on the Vin plate, plus the engine number on the engine casing.
(1976 400/4) But that was over 20 years ago I did that!!!
I've just been in the shed and sure enough on the headstock, barely visible in the powdercoat are the frame numbers! :-[
morale: always check the facts BEFORE posting!
NE0
-
All of the Hondas I have ever owned had the frame number stamped on the headstock, as far as I am aware the ONLY legit reason for it not to be so is if a new replacment frame has been fitted, and I'd want proof of that before I'd go anywhere near it!
-
thankyou for the quick replys, i feel a lot easier now as i declined a bike, nice as it was but i was unable to find any other numbers on the frame.the gentleman who was selling told me that was the norm. buyer beware, thanks again. Paul
-
If the frame has been re-powdercoated the number on the headstock will probably be buried, as mine now is ::). If I were to sell the bike I accept that this would probably entail taking off the coating over just the VIN and repainting or something. I suspect this may be the case with your prospective purchase, but when sellers brush these things off with " oh, they're all like that" and such like, I suddenly become very wary like yourself!
-
I have, when working for a Main Dealer, replaced a frame after an accident and the person doing it is "Supposed" to stamp the original number into the frame as spares are not stamped at all(same for nearly all bikes--only one i know different was BMW). Now whilst we did have letter/number stamps they were not identical to the Honda font and i do not know of any way of getting Honda type ones so just looking different would not necessarily be bad.
NOW a lot of US dealers never bought stamps so there are a lot of un-numbered engine casings out there and by logical interpretation(thank you Spock) there are probably some frames as well.
Having said all that if i was buying i would want to see at least the hint of numbers under the powdercoat OR scrape the headstock and make sure there were NO grinding/filing traces there(always on LH side as sat on the bike). If the seller won't let you --Walk away there will always be another one!