Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB350/400 => Topic started by: Dan on January 29, 2012, 05:48:52 PM

Title: Sidestand bracket
Post by: Dan on January 29, 2012, 05:48:52 PM
Hi
For whatever reason,  a previous owner cut the side stand bracket off my 400. I need to make up a replacement to weld on but could do with a photo or template to work from .

If anyone could post a pic on here, maybe with a ruler next to the bracket on your bike it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Dan
Title: Re: Sidestand bracket
Post by: meerkat on January 30, 2012, 12:04:00 AM
It's just past midnight but I'll check in the morning.
Update.
Here's a picture but I'm not sure if this is what you want.
Title: Re: Sidestand bracket
Post by: Dan on January 30, 2012, 01:51:32 PM
Thanks, that is what I need, but I need to see what shape bracket I have to make up.
I appreciate you taking the trouble to do this. Sorry for being a pain  :)

Its the distance the bracket extends away from the frame that I want to get right.

Dan
Title: Re: Sidestand bracket
Post by: sanders on January 31, 2012, 09:02:43 AM
hi dan, another option would be a visit to a breakers yard and look for a simillar set up,then remove the stand and bracket .  i think this would make getting the angle etc a lot easier. good luck, Paul
Title: Re: Sidestand bracket
Post by: meerkat on January 31, 2012, 09:45:05 AM
Thanks, that is what I need, but I need to see what shape bracket I have to make up.
Its the distance the bracket extends away from the frame that I want to get right.
Dan
Just had another look at the bracket.
The horizontal distance betweeen the centre of the rear engine bolt and the centre of the pivot bolt is 70mm.
The distance vertically of the same centres is 30mm.
The plate thickness is 9mm.
My view as a retired fabricator is that welding a plate directly to the frame tube would be inadvisable.
I'd follow the original design as far as possible and weld the plate to a half tubular section (gutter shape) first, then braze the complete bracket to the tube using the minimum of heat.
You could, if originality is not a priority, buy a sidestand from any of the autojumbles specialising in British bike parts. They clamp on the frame tube and there are many on offer that may suit. Paul's option is easier to do. 
Title: Re: Sidestand bracket
Post by: Dan on January 31, 2012, 05:37:51 PM
Thanks for the replies and advice.

I'll have a think about this. I have seen the clamp-on style of side stands and may go down that route. There is around 5mm of the original bracket left on the fame rail that would need to be ground off first. Getting a decent weld/braze on the frame rail would probably require the engine removing too.

This isn't at the top of my list of things to do, but is something I will have to sort out eventually. I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks again,
Dan
Title: Re: Sidestand bracket
Post by: meerkat on January 31, 2012, 08:25:23 PM
Some on this site Dan,
http://motorcycle-accessories.twenga.co.uk/motorcycle-side-stand.html (http://motorcycle-accessories.twenga.co.uk/motorcycle-side-stand.html)

and this one at the bottom of the page,
 http://www.burtonbikebits.net/Stands.htm (http://www.burtonbikebits.net/Stands.htm)
Cheers. ;)
Title: Re: Sidestand bracket
Post by: Dan on February 01, 2012, 03:36:29 PM
Cool  8)

Just need to check clearance between frame and engine