Honda-SOHC

General => New Member Introductions => Topic started by: archmill on February 05, 2012, 02:47:24 PM

Title: Hello from Motherwell, Scotland.
Post by: archmill on February 05, 2012, 02:47:24 PM
Hi from Motherwell, just joined the forum today.
A couple of years ago, I picked up 3 bikes from a friend of a workmate who stuck them in his garden shed in 1985 and never took them out again.
A 1984 Honda VF500 F2 with a genuine 5000 miles on the clock which I have restored ( made 9 pages in issue 3 of "Practical sportsbikes".
A 1978 "T" reg CB750 Super Sport with 16000 miles on it and in not bad nick, and a Suzuki 400 which I wouldn't use as a door stop so I gave it away.
I am now starting a full "nut and bolt" restoration of the CB750 and having never owned one, I have a million and one questions to ask so I look forward to talking to you guy's for some expert advice.

All the best
Archmill
Title: Re: Hello from Motherwell, Scotland.
Post by: UK Pete on February 05, 2012, 02:55:14 PM
Hi welcome to the forum
pete
Title: Re: Hello from Motherwell, Scotland.
Post by: kifer on February 05, 2012, 03:37:20 PM
Hi and welcome to the forum, I am a newbie and already have had some good info saving me time and money the guys on here have the knowledge,
Learn,t this a good one today, thought i would have an hour on bike even though freezing, Had what several people inc me thought was a hairline crack on fork leg by caliper mount just got a mini flap disk on it guess what its gone just a deep scratch,
Lesson don't think the worst,  try  before you buy. 
Good luck with your build you sound like you know what you are about  Tom..
Title: Re: Hello from Motherwell, Scotland.
Post by: SteveD CB500K0 on February 05, 2012, 04:13:27 PM
I've had several bikes in magazines as a result of knowing Jim Moore - Classic Bike (where he was Deputy Editor) and Prasctical Sportsbikes (Editor). Most notable (and fun) was when he took my blue 1979 CB900FZ and thrashed it against a GS1000, Z1000 ands XS1100.

Welcome and good luck with the resto.

Steve
Title: Re: Hello from Motherwell, Scotland.
Post by: Tomb on February 05, 2012, 05:10:42 PM
he took my blue 1979 CB900FZ and thrashed it against a GS1000, Z1000 ands XS1100.

(http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/1993/jnphoto2004.jpg) (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/514/jnphoto2004.jpg/)

Small world Steve, a mate of mine owns the XS1100

Click here (http://imageshack.us/f/514/jnphoto2004.jpg/) for big image
Title: Re: Hello from Motherwell, Scotland.
Post by: SteveD CB500K0 on February 05, 2012, 07:52:03 PM
These are my favourites:

(http://www.nirvana-motorcycles.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/JNPhoto_6002-Custom.jpg)

(http://www.nirvana-motorcycles.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/JNPhoto_5001-Custom.jpg)
Title: Re: Hello from Motherwell, Scotland.
Post by: Bryanj on February 06, 2012, 05:37:24 AM
78 will be F2 so i bet it needs exhaust valve guides!!
Title: Re: Hello from Motherwell, Scotland.
Post by: archmill on February 06, 2012, 12:38:31 PM
Certainly is a small world Steve, it was Jim Moore who came to the house to do the photo shoot and interview for the VF500. I am now in good comms with Alan Seeley of Practical Sportsbikes and have done a couple of articles for him in the mag, one on reproducing obsolete stickers, one on how to re-furb a rear shock and one on how to make a laser wheel aligning tool which should be in the next issue out on the 19th of this month. Yi haw! famous at last. LOL

Archmill