Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB750 => Topic started by: Waggles on March 11, 2012, 09:48:38 AM

Title: Clutch sticking?
Post by: Waggles on March 11, 2012, 09:48:38 AM
Well, finally got my F1 started and she sounds sweet which is one hell of a relief so nearly there now ( Will post pics when done ) One query tho, When I first got the bike I checked the clutch by pulling in the clutch lever and kicking over the motor, I expected the clutch to slip, it didn't. As part of my rebuild I stripped the clutch to be sure there was nothing wrong, all was fine so I reassembled with fresh oil. Thing is, even though its now been run the clutch still doesn't slip on the kickstart.

First question, am I right it should slip that way? (guess it depends on where the kickstart engages in the drive train) if it should, any ideas on the best way to free it? Just want to be sure before I attempt to put it into gear and shear off all the dogs!
Title: Re: Clutch sticking?
Post by: hairygit on March 11, 2012, 09:59:48 AM
No, the clutch has no part in the kickstarter set up, so won't slip, that's why it can be kick started in gear if the clutch is pulled in :D
Title: Re: Clutch sticking?
Post by: K2-K6 on March 11, 2012, 07:49:51 PM
Without running the engine, just click it into gear/pull clutch in and roll it back and forward to see if it's operating. You get some dragging but you can quickly determine if it's releasing.
Title: Re: Clutch sticking?
Post by: Bryanj on March 12, 2012, 06:54:45 AM
Hairygit is correct as the 750 is a primary kick
Title: Re: Clutch sticking?
Post by: Waggles on March 12, 2012, 07:09:07 AM
Phew! thanks guys, will check that out tonight, it could be OK then. Am not sure tho as I dont hear that usual Honda clutch rattle!!!
Title: Re: Clutch sticking?
Post by: Waggles on March 21, 2012, 09:05:28 AM
Just a quick update.

Thanks guys, you were, of course, quite correct, must have been thinking of one of my previous bikes that did kickstart through the clutch. It did drag a bit so the initial engaging of first caused a 6 inch leap forward but has functioned perfectly since then as a quick road test proved ( on private roads of course  ;))

Just awaiting a replacement horn then I can MOT, wish me luck!