Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB750 => Topic started by: pauliexjr on March 13, 2012, 08:19:54 AM

Title: Brake calipers, which way round?
Post by: pauliexjr on March 13, 2012, 08:19:54 AM
My 1978 CB750 F2 came with the forks, calipers etc already off the bike.

I'm now trying to fit the calipers and they just don't want to clear the disc. It's a twin-disc set-up and I'm trying to mount them behind the fork leg with the lugs facing rearwards, is this right? Is there some sort of additional bracket or spacer that I'm missing?

Unfortunately my Haynes manual is totally useless as there are no references to twin-discs apart from the exploded diagram of the caliper.

On the single disc CB750s I've seen the caliper sits on the n/s of the bike, in front of the fork leg.
Title: Re: Brake calipers, which way round?
Post by: Spitfire on March 13, 2012, 09:22:45 AM
This might help, it's from the sales Brochure'
(http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z244/DennisMcc/Honda%20CB750F2/CB750F2FRONTWHEEL.jpg)

Cheers

Den
Title: Re: Brake calipers, which way round?
Post by: Spitfire on March 13, 2012, 09:30:05 AM
Here's more
(http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z244/DennisMcc/Honda%20CB750F2/FRONTBRAKE01.jpg)
(http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z244/DennisMcc/Honda%20CB750F2/FRONTBRAKE02.jpg)
(http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z244/DennisMcc/Honda%20CB750F2/FRONTBRAKE03.jpg)
(http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z244/DennisMcc/Honda%20CB750F2/FRONTBRAKE04.jpg)
Title: Re: Brake calipers, which way round?
Post by: pauliexjr on March 13, 2012, 05:02:37 PM
Many, many thanks. Although mine are stamped L & R I've looked and they actually fit the opposite way to the stampings!  ???
Title: Re: Brake calipers, which way round?
Post by: Tomb on March 13, 2012, 07:40:24 PM
You sure you ain't got the fork legs 180o out and you're trying to fit the calipers like old Kwaks  ....above the fork?? :o
Title: Re: Brake calipers, which way round?
Post by: pauliexjr on March 14, 2012, 02:23:35 AM
You sure you ain't got the fork legs 180o out and you're trying to fit the calipers like old Kwaks  ....above the fork?? :o
Nope, if you read my original post that's what I wondered might be the problem i.e. I was trying to fit them back to front, but the lugs are definately pointing behind (below?) the forks. The earlier single disc CB750's actually do have the caliper sitting in front of (above) the fork so I wondred if the twin disc unit should be like that, but the pictures above clearly show it isn't.
Title: Re: Brake calipers, which way round?
Post by: Tomb on March 14, 2012, 07:34:57 AM
Nope, if you read my original post that's what I wondered might be the problem

DOH!!!  ::)

Sorry, you did. :-X ;D
Title: Re: Brake calipers, which way round?
Post by: miclyn on March 14, 2012, 01:42:27 PM
I have just refitted the calipers to my F2. Firstly have you got the caliper brackets fitted to the forks. The calipers will actually fit either side but are handed so that the bleed nipples are uppermost. Mine actually had 2 RH calipers when i got it. It was not until i was replacing the seals and fitting new brake lines that i noticed it. I now have a pair of Goldwing GL1000 calipers fitted to the F2 brackets. I can take some photo's if it will help.