Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB750 => Topic started by: Waggles on March 29, 2012, 07:45:17 AM

Title: Another one saved!
Post by: Waggles on March 29, 2012, 07:45:17 AM
OK, my F1 project is now complete and she just passed her MOT so after standing for 25 - 30 years and 18 months hard work another 750 is back where she belongs on the road!

Will try and sort out a pic at the weekend.

She will not be wrapped in cotton wool and stored away for sunny days but will be used regularly and there are still a few little bits of 'beautifying' I will be attending to as we go along.

One slight fly in the ointment was I got an 'advisory' on the MOT for a weeping fork oil seal, thing is both the fork tubes and the seals are brand new!  >:(
Title: Re: Another one saved!
Post by: LesterPiglet on March 29, 2012, 01:29:43 PM
Congratulations. I hope to be on the road too this year after 20 years in pieces. The bike was dismantled as well.
Title: Re: Another one saved!
Post by: Waggles on March 29, 2012, 02:31:57 PM
I don't know, you've been in pieces, and I've been standing for 25 years......

Good luck with yours, hope it goes well
Title: Re: Another one saved!
Post by: Tomb on March 29, 2012, 05:29:53 PM
Congrats!, looking forward to some pics
Title: Re: Another one saved!
Post by: Spitfire on March 29, 2012, 07:34:33 PM
If there is no problem with the seals or fork legs are the forks misaligned in the yokes/wheel spindle ?

Cheers

Den
Title: Re: Another one saved!
Post by: Bryanj on March 30, 2012, 07:00:47 AM
A common problem with fork seals is where some idiot in the past has levered out a seal and scored the alloy slider then oil will wick up the outside of the seal
Title: Re: Another one saved!
Post by: Waggles on March 30, 2012, 07:30:31 AM
The old seals came out OK and I didn't notice any damage but if I have to replace them again will look out for that. Will try loosening everything and boucing the front end to see if its all lined up at the weekend, its a thought and certainly worth trying before stripping them down again, thanks
Title: Re: Another one saved!
Post by: UK Pete on March 30, 2012, 08:17:15 AM
I had a similar problem many years back, a bike shop recommended a fork oil with a seal swell additive, believe it or not a week after using it the forks were as dry as could be, i think it was bellray fork oil, i have no idea if such thing still exists
Pete
Title: Re: Another one saved!
Post by: Tomb on March 30, 2012, 04:42:47 PM
I bought a few sets of fork seals from a bloke thats always at Stafford show with a stand selling batteries, indicators and seals, they lasted about a week, both seals, I didn't think it was me fitting them badly as I've been doing that sort of paid work for years without any problems before.
I fitted another set and they were as bad, so I went to my local bike shop and got some other brand seals, they've been in my daily ride 500/4 for 6 years and ones just started to leak.

Buy cheap buy twice in my case. :o
Title: Re: Another one saved!
Post by: Waggles on April 01, 2012, 02:22:34 PM
These are pattern seals so I guess they r cr*p. Originals are available so I will get a pair. In the meantime will try some oil with seal swell additive as I would rather be riding than stripping forks again! worth a try.