Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB750 => Topic started by: joeleeman on April 17, 2012, 09:51:12 AM

Title: Tanks swaps?
Post by: joeleeman on April 17, 2012, 09:51:12 AM
Anyone know if you swap another Honda tank too the cb750 frame? Say a cb900? Or any other tank for that matter
Title: Re: Tanks swaps?
Post by: Waggles on April 17, 2012, 10:44:45 AM
Guess it might depend on how much work you are prepared to do. I notice Robbo has fitted a 400/4 tank according to his recent post.
Title: Re: Tanks swaps?
Post by: joeleeman on April 17, 2012, 10:56:20 AM
Well I've seen some tanks off of other Hondas which I like. I don't mind any fabrication work. How about a 750 kz tank? To me it looks similar to the k7 but not as fat
Title: Re: Tanks swaps?
Post by: mick on April 17, 2012, 11:07:33 AM
suppose you can make anything fit just depends how much work you want to do?, cheers Mick.
Title: Re: Tanks swaps?
Post by: joeleeman on April 17, 2012, 11:39:52 AM
I can post some photos of the type of tank I'm looking for. I just want something narrower with a more classic style really. I have a k7 and the tank just looks too big
Title: Re: Tanks swaps?
Post by: joeleeman on April 17, 2012, 11:42:38 AM
http://www.bikeexif.com/cb750-cafe

http://www.pipeburn.com/home/2011/6/30/evolution-motorsports-1976-honda-cb750.html
Title: Re: Tanks swaps?
Post by: mick on April 17, 2012, 11:48:41 AM
First tank is a F1/F2 tank and the second one is a K series tank but not K7 tank ,have you seen the tanks on Carpys bikes in the states ?

don't know if you like that sort of a look?, cheers Mick.

www.cb750cafe.com
Title: Re: Tanks swaps?
Post by: LesterPiglet on April 17, 2012, 12:25:14 PM
I've seen one recently wearing a CB900 tank.
Title: Re: Tanks swaps?
Post by: Robbo on April 17, 2012, 12:46:32 PM
I have a 400/4 tank and a seeley tank on mine, I am currently making a mould of a really nice dresda tank so I can make them out of fibreglass and epoxy resin to fit cb750 and norton slimline featherbed frames
Title: Re: Tanks swaps?
Post by: joeleeman on April 17, 2012, 12:48:40 PM
I like the look of using the standard tanks but swapping them so the bike has a different look

I found this too
http://www.motographite.com/2011/09/honda-cb750-k-club-black-01-by.html
Title: Re: Tanks swaps?
Post by: joeleeman on April 17, 2012, 12:52:28 PM
230776421391 eBay item number
Title: Re: Tanks swaps?
Post by: joeleeman on April 17, 2012, 02:32:59 PM
How hard would a normal k tank or f1 f2 tank be to acquire? And what kid of price would I be looking at?
Title: Re: Tanks swaps?
Post by: hairygit on April 17, 2012, 07:01:14 PM
Normal K series tanks are certainly easier to find than F1/F2 tanks. Price will often vary wildly according to condition, repainted ones with small dents can be got relatively cheaply, but undented with good original paint can cost more than most of us paid for our bikes! :o
Title: Re: Tanks swaps?
Post by: joeleeman on April 17, 2012, 07:39:43 PM
Well I'm not trying to win any beauty contests ad as long as its fuel tight and pretty straight I don't mind. I've found a lot of tanks but I'm not sure exactly What they are
Title: Re: Tanks swaps?
Post by: mick on April 17, 2012, 08:27:53 PM
This ones a F1.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-CB750-PETROL-TANK-/261004198253?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item3cc510016d
Title: Re: Tanks swaps?
Post by: hairygit on April 17, 2012, 08:49:22 PM
Sorry Mick, that's an F2 tank, F1 fuel line drops vertically, the one on e-bay is a horizontal one, and since F1 and F2 taps are different thread sizes, it can't even be an F1 tank with an F2 tap ??? (Shit I sound a right anorak!)
Title: Re: Tanks swaps?
Post by: joeleeman on April 17, 2012, 09:11:03 PM
Is the f2 tank narrower than the k7?
Title: Re: Tanks swaps?
Post by: hairygit on April 17, 2012, 09:22:09 PM
Yes,it is a bit narrower, although it looks a lot narrower due to the intended illusion of it's slab sides. Visually the F1 and F2 tanks are the same, it's just the F1 tank has a larger fuel tap thread,and the fuel outlet on the tap is vertical, and as an F1 owner I found a tap for the F1 is twice the price of an F2 >:(
Title: Re: Tanks swaps?
Post by: mick on April 17, 2012, 09:29:31 PM
Soz didn't look that close just looked at the shape lol  :-[, cheers Mick.
Title: Re: Tanks swaps?
Post by: joeleeman on April 17, 2012, 09:34:45 PM
How about the lock unit in the top? Is this common to other models?
Title: Re: Tanks swaps?
Post by: hairygit on April 17, 2012, 09:39:06 PM
I seem to remember the lock barrel was the same for a lot of Hondas, CB550 F1/F2, CB750 F1/F2, and I'm sure the CB750 K7 was the same ???
Title: Re: Tanks swaps?
Post by: LesterPiglet on April 17, 2012, 09:50:35 PM
I think if it has the flap the locks are the same. Anyone got one they don't need?
Title: Re: Tanks swaps?
Post by: joeleeman on April 17, 2012, 10:11:29 PM
I have two k7 tanks so hopefully they are the same! Just have to see
Are mounting points the same? Horseshoe brackets at the front and the rubber at the back?