Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB750 => Topic started by: archmill on July 02, 2012, 12:18:33 PM

Title: CB750 F2 main bearings
Post by: archmill on July 02, 2012, 12:18:33 PM
Got a good crank and main bearing shells from Mick (good man, many thanks) but the shells don't have any colour coding on them at all that I can find. Fitted them into the crankcases with the crank, using plastiguage and torqued everything up. All the oil clearances are exactly 2 thou but according to the Haynes manual I should be looking for 0.8 - 1.6 thou (20 - 41 microns) with green shells ( crankcases all B's, crank all A's). I'm worried that having the larger oil clearance on the main bearings won't build up enough oil pressure to feed the rockers and although I have been told by an experienced engineer I should be looking for 2 thou, I would obviously want to get it right before re-building the engine. Am I being too pernikety and looking for a problem that does not exist ? Any thoughts would be gratefully received.

Archmill
Title: Re: CB750 F2 main bearings
Post by: archmill on July 02, 2012, 08:04:11 PM
Ping, nobody talking to me, was it something I said, LOL
Title: Re: CB750 F2 main bearings
Post by: UKROBK7 on July 02, 2012, 09:51:46 PM
According to the Honda workshop manual for the F2 the main bearings service limit is 0.0032 inch (0.08mm) after that replace the bearings.  It looks like yours are OK.

Rob