Honda-SOHC
SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB500/550 => Topic started by: LesterPiglet on July 06, 2012, 11:44:50 PM
-
Does anyone have a rough idea of price for reboring my 550? I was looking at those 600cc big bore kits from Japan.
-
last time i done it lester was on a cb750 plus 50 oversize with a local guy to me it cost £80, he bored the barrels to match the pistons not sure how long ago(5-10 is a good(safe) guess)the years are flying by?
-
It'l be costly mate as the last 500 rebore i paid for was £110 and you have to double that as they have to bore the block to fit the liners then the liners to fit the pistons
-
I do happen to know a 650 set of barrells will fit streight on, but have yet to actually do more than drop the 650 barrels and head loosely in place, sans pistons. I think it's about £20 - £25 per bore for a streight rebore, and as Brian said, they'll be removing the old liners and machineing etc to fit new ones. If you do decide to go this way if you have a good set of barrels / pistons that dont need work, then I'd suggest keeping them as spares (or selling them on to offet the costs of works) and using a set of barrels with shot bores where if things don't work out to plan you'll still have a good std set. I have a couple of shot barrels (one had a conrod break a liner, others are plain rusty and could probably dig out a set that have good fins but dud bores if you wanted.
-
The 650 bore is not much different from the 550, they altered the stroke to up the capacity
-
I didn't realise the liners needed removed. Sounds like too much trouble/expense.
Thanks for your offer matthew.
-
Now you got me thinking mate, i know it's new liners on a 500 but just possible it may not be on 550--BUT if not the liners will be very thin
-
I was quoted £20 a pot to bore to pistons I supplied - that was on my z1100r to fit a Wiseco forged 1170cc big bore kit. So £80 for rebore. They said they would do my spare set of Honda barrells aswel for £140 all in. Thats was last year at a place near me. That was for the whole job piston matched, but I insist on doing my own finish honing as I am a 2-stroke nut and appreciate the difference 0.0005" or so can make.
550 liners are fine for 600cc kits. Its 500's that need all the new liners and crankcase opening up. I have bored a 500 to a 550 to avoid machining cases to fit a 550 barrel.
Back in the early eighties I used std Kawasaki GPZ305 pistons. Its now on +.5mm O/s of those. I had alot of messing about though with copper head gasket, combustion chamber re-shaping, and compression ratio calculations. Hight lift cams gave me another problem. It was alot of effort, but the difference was amazing, 750+ performance.
The very same engine now has a stock cam with bores honed and new 305 pistons and rings and I must say its still pretty amazing. Its one of those big smile fun bikes that people that ride it think 'Bloody hell, I wasn't expecting that'.