Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB750 => Topic started by: bluemouse1006 on August 04, 2012, 05:34:20 PM

Title: Wiring diagram/instructions after market rectifier etc
Post by: bluemouse1006 on August 04, 2012, 05:34:20 PM
Hi
Im looking at replacing my rectifier etc on my K5 ( eBay Number 120959950835) anyone bought such a thing ? There is a plug that looks like it just plugs in but then it has two diode type wires where do they go ??
Anyone got any instructions for such a thing ..

Part on eBay is half the price of any I've seen !!!!

Thanks

Amos
Title: Re: Wiring diagram/instructions after market rectifier etc
Post by: the-chauffeur on August 04, 2012, 07:54:08 PM

Amos

That unit is wired to work with bikes with a separate regulator and rectifier. 

When my K2 left the factory, it had both units - the original rectifier was fitted with the plastic connector; the regulator connected to the loom by means of three wires with female spade connectors on the ends (white, black and green).  The unit on eBay takes place of both those bits, leaving just a green (earth) wire from the loom.

I've replaced my two with a unit that's very similar to the one in the advert, but I got mine from Silver's - and yes, it was about twice the price of the one on eBay.  I dunno what the wiring arrangement on the K5's is like, but the modern solid state replacement is far more reliable (for me) than the original - it also doesn't require any adjustment (the original regulator can be adjusted).

The one drawback is that it's not a simple bolt-on job because of the battery tray design.  Again, I dunno what the K5 is like, but the K2 has a captive bolt that holds a sub-assembly on to the side.  I took the sub-assembly off, drilled the captive bolt out, drilled a second hole and put my own bolts through the tray from the inside.

I dunno whether you can see what I mean from this:

(http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8284/7711916392_637f6aacb3.jpg)

 . . . or this . . .

(http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8433/7711915292_a3b503685d.jpg)

(ignore the relays - they're installed to take the weight off the headlight switches, but I need to fit them properly)
Title: Re: Wiring diagram/instructions after market rectifier etc
Post by: Bryanj on August 04, 2012, 09:33:06 PM
Use the contact seller link and ask if it comes with full instructions/diagram. If not walk away.

I suspect the white goes to one of the reg wires and maybe the black as well but no guarantee on that
Title: Re: Wiring diagram/instructions after market rectifier etc
Post by: the-chauffeur on August 04, 2012, 09:35:07 PM

Sorry - yeah - that was what I was trying to say . . .

 . . . the black and white wires go to the regulator connectors in the loom.  Everything else is contained in the plastic plug.
Title: Re: Wiring diagram/instructions after market rectifier etc
Post by: bluemouse1006 on August 06, 2012, 12:21:08 AM
Thanks
Anyone got instructions for one of these ? You can scan and put on the site . I've contacted the seller but they don't have any instructions as they are able to be fitted to several different bikes.
Mine will plug into the big white plug buts where the other two wires go and which way round !!!

Thanks

Amos
Title: Re: Wiring diagram/instructions after market rectifier etc
Post by: Green1 on August 11, 2012, 11:19:04 PM

Sorry - yeah - that was what I was trying to say . . .

 . . . the black and white wires go to the regulator connectors in the loom.  Everything else is contained in the plastic plug.
Hi I to have replaced my rectifier what did you do with the earth from the regulator as I have just left mine lose.
Title: Re: Wiring diagram/instructions after market rectifier etc
Post by: bluemouse1006 on August 13, 2012, 03:50:52 PM
Not bought one yet but will let u know

Amos