Honda-SOHC
Other Stuff => Misc / Open => Topic started by: ianmck on September 11, 2012, 08:33:58 PM
-
I am cleaning up my 750 K4 frame, do not want to p/coat, anyone got any experience of a good , durable paint to use, at the moment thinking of satin black hammerite. Any thoughts would be welcome. Thanks in advance. Ian.
-
Blackfriar red oxide and black enamell, takes 4 coats but seems to have lasted better than hammerite on my bikes. Cheaper too.
-
Hi Ian,
I am new to this restoration stuff but why not p/coat? i thought powder coat was a good base.
Billy
-
Don't use Hammerite/Smoothrite, it chips so easily. I know this. :-\
-
... why not p/coat? i thought powder coat was a good base.
There risks of creating pockets/cavities (i.e. on/around welding seams and/or other not 100% clean surfaces) in which corrosion takes place; unseen at first, by the time the dense plastic layer finally cracks open the damage to the steel underneath can be severe...
(as with Teroson undercarriage protection on vintage cars... )
BTW: anyone treating also the inside of the frame tubes, like with Waxoil or such?
-
So if painting, what methods of application do people use?
Put another way, can you get a decent finish with a brush or do some of you have an air line etc?
-
Hi Ian believe it or not but i have had excellent results using non drip gloss ;), using decent stuff like Dulux,
obviously the preparation is very important and using a decent undercoat to, only trick i use is don't paint in direct sunlight dries your paint to fast and causes drag= brush marks,
i usually hang my frames up and paint the frame in one go ;), don't know how many frames i have painted but its alot , i've also painted a Mini Van, Transit Pick up, Transit Van, and a Cortina Estate , cheers Mick.
-
I tried woodchip once, but wouldnt recommend it .... gets a bit soggy and peels off ;)
-
Artex is a bugger too
-
I always use a brush as you put more paint on.
Key the surface first then use Hammerite special metals primer and then two thin coats of rustoleum gloss black.
If you prep well first than you get a brushstroke free finish and it looks as good as powdercoat.I wouldn't recommend household undercoat and gloss anymore as they have messed with the formulas and they are now crap and take weeks to harden up.
-
I did most of my frame and car painting in the late 80's /early 90's when paint was proper paint not this wishy washy crap you get nowadays :o, ;) cheers Mick.
(http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee75/mcpuffett/img082.jpg)
(http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee75/mcpuffett/img077.jpg)
(http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee75/mcpuffett/img078.jpg)