Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB350/400 => Topic started by: tom400f on September 14, 2012, 10:00:33 PM

Title: Simoniz Engine Enamel
Post by: tom400f on September 14, 2012, 10:00:33 PM
I've used this on my caliper and the finish is nice. My question is do I need to bake it and if so at what temperature and for how long? If it was on an engine it would get hot of course, so some sort of heating seems sensible .

The can says its cured after 24h and is good for 120C. Anyone know what that means?

Title: Re: Simoniz Engine Enamel
Post by: SteveD CB500K0 on September 15, 2012, 08:25:40 AM
120°C is nowhere near enough for an engine paint.

Are you sure it says "engine paint"? - are you sure it says "120 degrees"?
Title: Re: Simoniz Engine Enamel
Post by: tom400f on September 15, 2012, 10:15:27 AM
Hence my request for clarification!

First time I did it I wasn't happy with the result so I removed it with paint stripper. Came off very easily so I don't think without baking its properly hardened.

Title: Re: Simoniz Engine Enamel
Post by: NE0 on September 15, 2012, 10:45:43 AM
I can confirm I used this Simonez engine enamel for my DT175MX.

I painted it gloss black last year and its doing fine: whilst 2 strokes get hot and i'm sure helped to harden it, The cylinder obviously gets hot but the gearbox doesn't get that hot at all.
I sprayed the whole lot and whilst it may have lost some of its initial sheen . it looks more like factory finish now than it did when i first applied it (Yams were satin)
i didn't want to use the Matt which is rated at 300c on the can.

Nonetheless, mine has turned out just fine, no flaking, I didn't bake it, but i did apply thin coats in FULL sun, not sure when that was as i don't think we've seen the sun much since!!!

I have heard a perfectly acceptable finish can be achieved from using Barbaque paint. BBQ.
In fact over at the yamaha forum its quite rated, although i'd already sprayed mine before i knew it!

I'm currently spraying my 400/4 engine with EHT (extremely high Temperture paint, not VHT)
Not used it before but it seems to cover well.
20yrs ago I used Eastwoods engine paint (no longer availble, I checked with Eastwoods USA)
That was the dogs danglies and looked as if it had only been applied recently not 20 years,In fact it looked good right up to taking it off the road last month for an engine overhaul.
Title: Re: Simoniz Engine Enamel
Post by: NE0 on September 15, 2012, 11:37:29 AM
Incidently, 120c is bloody hot! 20 degrees higher than boiling water!

Engines get hot, yes but when it rains, if the engine was well over 100c then rain would boil as it hits the cylinder head and engine, steam would be generated continually.....but it doesn't.

A stationary engine will get hotter yes but the engine is air cooled,...engine paint rated at 120c is fine for an engine but NOT exhausts.


Quote
120°C is nowhere near enough for an engine paint.
120 degrees sounds like IT shouldn't be ok, but manufacturers do a lot of research and if it wasn't any good for engines they wouldn't sell it.
Title: Re: Simoniz Engine Enamel
Post by: tom400f on September 15, 2012, 09:30:14 PM
Yes - thin coats are the key or it sags. I did mine in the sun too - last weekend was nice at least. Put another couple of coats on today.

Thanks for the advice - no baking it is then.
Title: Re: Simoniz Engine Enamel
Post by: SteveD CB500K0 on September 15, 2012, 09:46:12 PM
A bit of internet research indicates that air-cooled engine cylinder heads run at between 130 and 145 degrees C

Exhausts can reach 400 degrees C at the cylinder head, falling to 250 degrees C at the outlet.
Title: Re: Simoniz Engine Enamel
Post by: UKROBK7 on September 19, 2012, 07:27:17 PM
Some of these engine paints are meant for watercooled engines and not air cooled ones
Title: Re: Simoniz Engine Enamel
Post by: LesterPiglet on September 19, 2012, 09:46:12 PM
I would say it's made for car engine blocks which don't get near as hot as air cooled CB's.
Title: Re: Simoniz Engine Enamel
Post by: Seamus on September 19, 2012, 10:05:32 PM
Interesting stuff. I have used Simonize for a while and it has been fine (on 2 engines). Looking at a can, the 120C relates to gloss black only. Matt black and aluminium are rated to 300C, but do have a cure clause saying that they should be heated to 220C for 90 minutes to achieve full cure.
Title: Re: Simoniz Engine Enamel
Post by: NE0 on September 19, 2012, 11:17:18 PM
Quote
I would say it's made for car engine blocks

It does state on the can........... for cars and Motorcycle engines


Like I said it's fine on my DT175MX, aircooled two stroke...........