Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB750 => Topic started by: cb750stu on October 05, 2012, 06:56:58 PM

Title: Gasket Q ??
Post by: cb750stu on October 05, 2012, 06:56:58 PM
Hi folks I'm going need to replace my oil pan gasket as it is leaking. I have noticed that there is some kind of orange rubbery material dotted around the seal ????
My Q is should I just put the new gasket on without sealant or use sealant I know gaskets are designed to go on without sealant !!!
It will also be a good chance to check the oil strainer !!!
Anybody know what torque setting I should use for the bolts ??????
Regards, Stu
Title: Re: Gasket Q ??
Post by: LesterPiglet on October 05, 2012, 08:16:50 PM
Is the 750 the same as a 550 as far as the gasket sits in a groove? If not ignore this.  :D

That orange goo should not be there as it could detach and block an oilway. Make sure you clean it all off.
Really a new seal should be used but I've never replaced mine. I usually put a tiny line of sealant (gasp) in the gasket groove, just enough so it doesn't squeeze out when you put the gasket in.
Title: Re: Gasket Q ??
Post by: bluemouse1006 on October 05, 2012, 08:22:07 PM
Stu
Be careful with sealant on the 750 engine as they really don't like sealant and block the oil ways to the head

Amos
Title: Re: Gasket Q ??
Post by: cb750stu on October 05, 2012, 08:37:54 PM
Cheers folks I have a new genuine gasket to put on I'm not going to use sealant never liked using it,
How does the oil strainer come out ???

Regards
Title: Re: Gasket Q ??
Post by: cb750stu on October 05, 2012, 09:49:52 PM
There wasn't even a gasket on the oil pan just a bead of orange goo oil strainer was very clean aswell nothing in it !!