Honda-SOHC
SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB750 => Topic started by: philward on February 14, 2013, 09:41:09 PM
-
Hi Guys
Its my first post and so hope I've done it right! I'm rebuilding a K2 that I bought as a basket case - engine in bits and cases really badly corroded and bits missing. So I decided to buy a complete engine from D&K that was on ebay. But as I had a friend who has a contact at D&K, I got it via him a bit cheaper than advertised on ebay. When it was listed on ebay, they stated engine number that I checked to be a 72 K2. (never made a note of numbers)
Anyway, I have stripped it down completely for rebuild and there is no engine number stamped on the cast rectange on the top engine case. The casting has not been ground and still shows the original 'speckled' casting (on the rectangle that the number is normally stamped on).
Is the number located somewhere else?
How does this affect V5?
I didn't get any paperwork, although my mate is seeing if he can get it retrospectively.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Phil
-
Hi Phil, it sounds like you have a set of replacement engine cases , the early cb750's were known to snap chains, and the chain would punch a hole in the engine case destroying it, personally i would just stamp your old engine number in, others may have different views?, cheers Mick.
-
Hi Mick
Thanks for your help - if thats what I have to do, any idea of letter sizes for stamps?
And does anybody know whether DVLA require an engine number on V5?
Thanks
Phil
-
Yes DVLA do but it's rarely checked, stamp size is same as frame number on LH side of headstock
-
Does anybody know where I can get the right size stamps from - I (and my dad) used to be engineers) and I have some 1/4 inch stamps from years ago but the letter thickness looks thicker than those on the headstock. Or has anyone got some I could hire/borrow - I live in Wigan, Lancs
Thanks again guys
Phil
-
Put your location in your profile Phil - then it'll appear beside every post.
Steve
-
Hi Phil you could try ebay? chers Mick.
-
Thanks Mick - think the ones on ebay are same as the old ones I've got (draper) - quite thick numbers - has a quick 'stamp on my steel workbench this morning and indentation thickness looks about twice as thick. Suppose it wouldn't make any difference to an MOT tester - just like things right.
I might try and salvage those old corroded crankcases that came with the 'basket case' bike.
Thanks again
Phil
-
Just so you know your mot tester wont need to look at engine numbers, i have a bike engine in one of my kawasaki's it has had the engine numbers ground off as it was stolen recovered, the mot guys dont look at that, it only becomes a problem if you have to sell the bike, it puts off the buyer
The engine number on my K0 is all over the place it looks to me as if my cases were changed back in 69 with a chain break being the reason, i would guess the dealer had a go at stamping the number, either that or The guy at honda was on the piss the evening before he did my engine ha ha
-
Thanks Pete
Thats re-assuring when my stamping is all over the place too!
-
I meant when I stamp it 'all over the place'
Found some 5mm stamps on ebay - same size as frame number
Thanks for your help guys
Phil