Honda-SOHC
SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB350/400 => Topic started by: Lynx on February 22, 2013, 03:40:19 PM
-
Hi everyone,
Can condensers be tested off the bike, by resistance or similar?
Cheers
-
I would say not.
As a condenser (we call them capacitors nowadays) it is basically an open circuit at low frequencies (ie DC) and a short circuit at high frequencies. It reduces the sparking at your points by offering a low impedance to the high frequencies caused by the abrupt opening of the points, "shunting" the excess power to earth.
If you have a spectrum analyser you can probably test it.
Or you could just get a new one ;D
-
Thanks you Steve. That does give me a starting point as i have one which is open circuit and one which is closed circuit from body to terminal.
-
If it is short circuit then it's dead.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-
Oddjob,
Thanks for the memories I too used to catch the young trainees out with that.
Cheers
Bitsa
-
I worked for a while in photo-film processing and the film prep lads did the same with the capacitors inside disposable film cameras.....there was one that powered the flash with a button to charge it......somehow it never fails to amuse when somebody catches a wack from them.
I like the sound of a Spectrum analyser Steve.......the sort of thing somebody could really use in pub-talk one upmanship!